Giant Reign E+ 1 First Look (Video)

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Looks sweet .. tempting to do go and have a look at one.. Nice spec (for what I like). Do like that controller.

Would be nice if the 5 bar battery displays switched out to using the full 5 bars in a different colour once you get to the last bar/20%.

Plus ... you said GIRTH ! :cool:

trailaddict

Jul 7, 2021
Alps
Well done (y)

"Tubeless .... fresh out of the box" ?
My Giant Bikes all came with tubes installed from the fab, so if there are tubes in it you could probably save some gramms getting rid of them.

Redlemon

Oct 30, 2021
Canada
Looks sweet .. tempting to do go and have a look at one.. Nice spec (for what I like). Do like that controller.

Would be nice if the 5 bar battery displays switched out to using the full 5 bars in a different colour once you get to the last bar/20%.

Plus ... you said GIRTH ! :cool:

The battery indicator light & power light are switching to orange for the last 10%

Giant is sending tubes with all Reign E+, but a full tubeless kit is also included.

Implor

Nov 8, 2021
Sweden
Great video. Looking forward to the full review!

A separate motor video after that maybe? Would be nice to see how the 2022 motor stacks up against the older models from Bosch/shimano/specialized.

Walkea

Aug 18, 2019
Glasgow

Looks good so far! Looking forward to hitting the trails.
Had a quick ride on new Reign today as LBS had one on showroom floor while I had my non ebike Trance in for some work so asked for a shot on it. Same version as Rob has to test (E+1). Had to lift it up some stairs, and it feels long and heavy but weight not noticable while riding.
My first time on a Yamaha powered ebike and it seemed really smooth and quiet compared to my E8000. Handlebar controller was really good and intuitive, althought the led display on the top tube may take some getting used to compared to the position of the Shimano display.
Giant seem to have done a good job of protecting the new motor as well.
The bike I rode was a Large although with the low standover it did not feel overly big, I am usually between small and medium frames depending on manufacturer, admittedly this was a ride up and down the street and up and down a couple of kerbs rather than on a trail.
Have asked LBS to let me know when a medium arrives. This or the new Trance E will be the new ride.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
love it, especially as its aluminium (dislike carbon)

but the weight !! seems all EMTB are going that direction, my levo hits the scales at 22.5kg and I think thats heavy

Oldcreaky

Feb 8, 2019
Bristol
Just about to pull the trigger on the same model. I will be having a short ride on both a med and a large hopefully tomorrow to make final descion (weather permitting) only around a car park no off road. First time on a Yam powered bike only used to older Bosch systems which have served me very well. This will replace my Cube stereo 160 sl 2019, would have liked to have stuck with Cube for ease of servicing (nearest lbs) but with non removable battery and carbon front triangle i will be not be purchasing any 2022 Cube. Looking forward to riding both sizes having sat on both and not being able to make a decision both seemed comfortable in different ways. Medium is the size the chart suggests is ideal. The weather does not look too promising but should be able to have a short ride on both as the shop will have pedals on both and suspension set up if only roughly. Will post if anything develops, one thing is certain any bike i buy will have far more abilty than myself.

Implor

Nov 8, 2021
Sweden
Had a quick ride on new Reign today as LBS had one on showroom floor while I had my non ebike Trance in for some work so asked for a shot on it. Same version as Rob has to test (E+1). Had to lift it up some stairs, and it feels long and heavy but weight not noticable while riding.
My first time on a Yamaha powered ebike and it seemed really smooth and quiet compared to my E8000. Handlebar controller was really good and intuitive, althought the led display on the top tube may take some getting used to compared to the position of the Shimano display.
Giant seem to have done a good job of protecting the new motor as well.
The bike I rode was a Large although with the low standover it did not feel overly big, I am usually between small and medium frames depending on manufacturer, admittedly this was a ride up and down the street and up and down a couple of kerbs rather than on a trail.
Have asked LBS to let me know when a medium arrives. This or the new Trance E will be the new ride.
love it, especially as its aluminium (dislike carbon)

but the weight !! seems all EMTB are going that direction, my levo hits the scales at 22.5kg and I think thats heavy

To my knowledge Turbo Levo has a smaller battery?

fox 38 adds 300grams. Heavy bify wheels and enduro tyres add maybe 1 kg (if not more). The rear shock is heavy for an airshock. You can most likely slim the bike down a fair bit. Question is if it’s worth it.

jeanmarc

Mar 2, 2021
Canada

Looks good so far! Looking forward to hitting the trails.
Thanks Rob for the initial video, great as always.
If you have a chance to test the bike in both "High" & "Low" settings of the flip chip in similar conditions and comment on the perceived differences..?
Thanks, have a nice ride! 😊

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The medium +0 I tried (Biggger battery, Carbon wheels and Bars) came in at a shade over 25kg with tubes but no pedals.

96EF9D1C-7A70-4751-A78E-B52BDC4EA33F.jpeg

trailaddict

Jul 7, 2021
Alps
My medium e+1 is at 25,4 kg with 750wh Battery without pedals. Tubeless and beefy 1310g/1230g tires, front and rear fender, bike wrapped in protective film. Sounds heavy and it is when moving in the garage, but you don't feel the weight when you are riding it.

Implor

Nov 8, 2021
Sweden
My medium e+1 is at 25,4 kg with 750wh Battery without pedals. Tubeless and beefy 1310g/1230g tires, front and rear fender, bike wrapped in protective film. Sounds heavy and it is when moving in the garage, but you don't feel the weight when you are riding it.
Would be interesting to know the crank arm weight. Cheap ones can be extremely heavy.

trailaddict

Jul 7, 2021
Alps
Would be interesting to know the crank arm weight. Cheap ones can be extremely heavy.
The stock Praxis alloy cranks @ 160mm do weight 455g which is not that much.

Eventuall I will switch to the e*thirteen @420g which I'm running on the Trance X e+ too. They are a bit more resistant to sideway impacts too. Reliability is important to me as I've got stuck in the middle of nowhere with a bend crankarm in the winter....not funny.

Implor

Nov 8, 2021
Sweden
The stock Praxis alloy cranks @ 160mm do weight 455g which is not that much.

Eventuall I will switch to the e*thirteen @420g which I'm running on the Trance X e+ too. They are a bit more resistant to sideway impacts too. Reliability is important to me as I've got stuck in the middle of nowhere with a bend crankarm in the winter....not funny.
455 is really decent. Seen 800+ grams including front ring.

folmonty

Mar 11, 2021
NorCal
We knew Giant would get serious and looks like they have. My biggest question is the Yamaha motor and how it compares to Bosch? Really like how the Bosch performs but I'm not very experienced with any other brands.

Kingerz

Jul 11, 2021
Australia
This and the new Trance will def be the sleeper hit of 2022, in fact there is no 'sleeper' about it. It is still 2021 and these two are the best value, best specced, all-round loved Yam motored bikes from a good brand.
They will sell these faster than they can make them.
Giant really is astounding and so often overlooked by magazines and bike press. I think of them like Toyota; they can make good-value little cars, value mega-popular cars like Corollas, legends like Landcruiser Saharas, and innovate on things like Prius.
I don't regret swapping my kKnevo out for a '21 Trance at all. Both are great, jut the Giant is so, so much better value.

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
These bikes look the goods I just wish giant would do away with that big fat round down tube. It looks like a snakes caught a possum for dinner.

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
What changed that makes these new ones so awesome?

From what I can see, Giant finally have a 'normal' rear center length (for mullets only), and improved ground clearance from the new Yamaha. This is good, but surely this alone can't explain why Giant is suddenly now a player?

Implor

Nov 8, 2021
Sweden

From what I can see, Giant finally have a 'normal' rear center length (for mullets only), and improved ground clearance from the new Yamaha. This is good, but surely this alone can't explain why Giant is suddenly now a player?
It’s more intresting why they have been behind the competition for very long time. They are just the biggest manufacturer in the world.

gbarfoot

Sep 1, 2020
Colorado usa

For the Trance at least...Carbon frame and new motor is my guess...the new trance is not much different than the 21. However the sleek new motor, controller and display integration and carbon frame do make it look sexier. But on the trail I'd imagine it's pretty close to the 21.

I think the large motor and low ground clearance of the old one put people off, even though it is an excellent bike. Now that's fixed....and it's still an excellent bike, just prettier.

For the reign all of the above (except for carbon). But add more aggressive modern geo, mullet with short chai stays, 750w battery, price for spec.....it really is a killer package. This article sums up why it's now a better bike The 2022 Giant Reign E+ addresses every criticism we had of the old one

Last edited:

Oldcreaky

Feb 8, 2019
Bristol
Now said yes to the medium size as it seemed to suit the best but only just. Will be picking up next weekend so hopefully will be able to get out for a ride to see what will need fine tuning. Only thing is that the water bottle has to very small due to the frame size so will look for alternative carrying points or camel pack.Hope to post first riding impressions next week.

Mr mick

Sep 13, 2020
Australia
Yamaha. Powering 2 wheeled vehicles for a long time. Bosch. Making cordless tools and automotive stuff like wiper blades, made an ebike motor and only recently discovered that a tiny sprocket up front is stupid. And lets try and stop those evil derestricters. Shimano makes great fishing reels deraiileurs etc, and Brose makes awesome electric power steering motors.
Over 10000 ks on my 3 year old fathom 3 with zero motor issues. 4 cassettes and chains though.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Very Quick ride today for me.

Good

- Very planted and great suspension
- hides the weight well. Feels lighter than it is
- corners well, balanced weight.
- Nimble feeling for a heavy long travel ebike
- easy to ride fast
- climbs well
- can see it being massively capable as an enduro weapon
- neat touches like the battery charge cover are appreciated
- geometry is very good. Maestro linkage very good.
- motor is pretty quiet. No clunking or rattling.
- well built.

Not quite as good

- Motor a way off Bosch power
- motor is still twitchy on resting on pedals-
- Auto mode is still a bit rubbish
- Controller ergonomics will take a bit of getting used to
- battery LED bars displayed in only 5 chunks are worse than a simple percentage
- Aesthetically can’t love it 😂 but subjective

@Paul Mac rode it a lot today too. Interested in his thoughts

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles