Giant Reign 2022 first problem

Goughy75

Sep 22, 2019
UK
First problem on my Reign e+ 2.
It won't turn off. I have to pull the battery to shut it down. I'm going to my lbs where I bought it from to get it sorted. I have attached a video of the problem.

woollettg

Apr 27, 2020
Wellington NZ
First problem on my Reign e+ 2.
It won't turn off. I have to pull the battery to shut it down. I'm going to my lbs where I bought it from to get it sorted. I have attached a video of the problem.
I have a 2020 Trance. Different to yours where the ride control is. I find that mine misbehaves if you get the electrics wet while washing after a ride. If mine gets too wet when I turn the bike off it immediately turns back on again. Your either wait for it to dry out or pull the battery.

Polaris

Oct 15, 2018
Lancashire, England
Out of interest what kind of weather/ conditions have you been riding in? Have you had excessive water ingress behind the battery cover etc? Watching with interest as my E+0 should arrive soon and I’m eagerly looking out for 2022 water related issues

Goughy75

Sep 22, 2019
UK
I have been riding very muddy conditions. Only done 2 rides covering about 20 miles. Hosed the bike down twice with hose on sprinkler setting and low pressure. I wouldn't say there is excessive water behind the battery cover but there is sign of some water spray.
Dropped the bike off to get it looked at under warranty today.

Polaris

Oct 15, 2018
Lancashire, England
I have been riding very muddy conditions. Only done 2 rides covering about 20 miles. Hosed the bike down twice with hose on sprinkler setting and low pressure. I wouldn't say there is excessive water behind the battery cover but there is sign of some water spray.
Dropped the bike off to get it looked at under warranty today.
Let us know what the diagnosis is, hope it’s not serious

zorro77

Apr 13, 2021
Italy
Out of interest what kind of weather/ conditions have you been riding in? Have you had excessive water ingress behind the battery cover etc? Watching with interest as my E+0 should arrive soon and I’m eagerly looking out for 2022 water related issues
Hi, I have the E + 0 no problem with the water at least until now, yesterday I also washed it with the pressure washer, I just put a piece of tape on the hole to unscrew the battery

Goughy75

Sep 22, 2019
UK
I received a call today from the bike shop. The mechanic said water had got into the on/off switch.
He dried it out and has applied Neogel to the connectors and the on/off display. No error codes reported on the computer.
He thinks it will be ok now. Finger crossed!

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
The TCU on the Specialized Levo...also on the top tube like the Reign...........always caused water ingress issues unless properly protected. I do not know the design on the Reign, but on the Levo the TCU also had a USB port sealed with a rubber plug. If that rubber plug was not pushed home fully it provided easy access for water ingress. Secondly the TCU is constructed of an upper and lower section. The seam between the upper and lower section was not waterproof. Thirdly the TCU had a "tail" of wires connected in the back that then were connected to the controller and down to the connections on the motor. Those connections were not water tight.
On most if not all bike frames the connection of the top tube to the headtube is open, meaning any water getting into the headtube either from a bove or below ( below being wide open if you wash the bike with it upside down on the bars) can pass straight into the top tube.
Then there is a matter of how well the TCU ( Reign on/off/battery display) is sealed against the top tube.....not at all is my guess!. any water from directly a bove, like rain, will likely be kept out but any water hitting it sideways, like a hose when washing the bike, will not!!

Phew! So what is the answer? On my Levo I removed the TCU and completely wrapped it in amalgamating tape. I similarly wrapped the connectors coming from the TCU. I then used "liquid gasket" to create a seal between the TCU and the frame. ( If you apply a thin layer of grease on the top tube sruface first the liquid gasket will only adhere to the bottom of the TCU/Reign display so it can be removed when required). I also used frame protector to stick across the bottom of the headtube.

I never had any water related problems with those modifications.

Goughy75

Sep 22, 2019
UK
Thanks for the tips Mycurb. I'm not too technical but I will certainly block off the head tube to stop water getting in that way.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth

TPEHAK

Nov 23, 2020
USA Seattle WA
It is poor design. They try to seal the button relying on the internal face of the aluminum tube, that face likely does not completely replicate the sealing face of the button and forms some gaps water can get in. They also try to seal pretty big surface probably fastenings this button in a few places and the sealing load is not distributed evenly so agan there are gaps for water.

Polaris

Oct 15, 2018
Lancashire, England
It is poor design. They try to seal the button relying on the internal face of the aluminum tube, that face likely does not completely replicate the sealing face of the button and forms some gaps water can get in. They also try to seal pretty big surface probably fastenings this button in a few places and the sealing load is not distributed evenly so agan there are gaps for water.
This was my concern in another thread, the controller should be seated above the frame with a seal below it no way is it going to keep water out as it is. I’ve half thought of invisiframing over it when the frame gets done :unsure:

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
There are no visisble fixings on that switch/display so does anyone know how it is held in place and how to remove it? On the gen 2 Levo it had one small allen bolt at the top whilst the bottom just hooked into a spring clip. The Giant one has no allen bolt visible so I assume it is just a spring clip on either side and push in......similarly just lever out? It needs to be removed from the top tube to determine how best to seal it.

Pending finding out how to remove it I would either push some grease around the perimeter of the switch or clingfilm it!

Dominic1212

Oct 31, 2021
Germany
There are no visisble fixings on that switch/display so does anyone know how it is held in place and how to remove it? On the gen 2 Levo it had one small allen bolt at the top whilst the bottom just hooked into a spring clip. The Giant one has no allen bolt visible so I assume it is just a spring clip on either side and push in......similarly just lever out? It needs to be removed from the top tube to determine how best to seal it.

Pending finding out how to remove it I would either push some grease around the perimeter of the switch or clingfilm it!
There is an small 2mm? screw underneath the rubber part.

This i got from my LBS:

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
It's very disappointing to see that, even after the leagues of water ingress problems with the previous bikes, that Giant still haven't learned how to keep the water out. It really isn't difficult, it just requires the use of components and materials of suitable quality.

A simple 'fix' for you could be to put protective tape over the top of the whole switch assembly, if it's low profile enough to do that?

Watching your video, it also looks like it powers up in 'auto' power mode every time, like the early ones do after an update a year or so ago. It bugs me having to turn it to a sensible setting every time I power mine up ('20 trance E+0), I find the auto mode too powerful and particularly unpredictable at times so I never ever use that mode myself. It also rinses the battery far too quickly.

Come on Giant, you're supposed to be the biggest bike manufacturer in the world, how about making some bikes that show it?

Goughy75

Sep 22, 2019
UK
Just an update on this. The bike shop fixed the not powering down issue. Now it has a new fault where intermittently when I power up the bike the display will fully illuminate both rows of lights and no motor assistance is available. It will stay like this until I pull the battery. So it's back in the bike shop.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
OK so the Giant display is fitted to the top tube in a similar way to the TCU on a Levo except the fixing screw is hidden under a rubber flap.

So if the bike was mine I would remove the display and wrap it in tape and also wrap the connectors on the cable tails. I would then use a liquid gasket applied to the underside of the rubber skirt of the display and a slight smear of grease on the top tube surface that it sits on. Then replace the display. The liquid gasket will not adhere on the greased top tube surface so the display can still be removed when required. I would probably also try to wedge a rubber block into the top tube above where the display sits at the junction of the top tube with the headset tube to prevent any water getting into the tube tube via the headset. The display should then be waterproof enough to withstand trail use and washing . That is what I did to my Levo TCU and I never had any water ingress electrical problems.

Polaris

Oct 15, 2018
Lancashire, England
Just an update on this. The bike shop fixed the not powering down issue. Now it has a new fault where intermittently when I power up the bike the display will fully illuminate both rows of lights and no motor assistance is available. It will stay like this until I pull the battery. So it's back in the bike shop.
Why didn’t the shop run a full test before giving it back to you?! And did they say it was a water ingress issue? Very worrying if that’s the case as 90% of my riding is on sodden conditions :(

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Why didn’t the shop run a full test before giving it back to you?! And did they say it was a water ingress issue? Very worrying if that’s the case as 90% of my riding is on sodden conditions :(
As per the TCU on a Levo I doubt it would get any water ingress whilst riding since the rubber skirt provides decent sealing for water from above. It will more likey get wet from a sideways flow of water as in washing with a hose.............or from condensation inside the frame most likely again caused by using hot water on a cold frame to wash it etc. Either way wrapping it is the answer.

Polaris

Oct 15, 2018
Lancashire, England
As per the TCU on a Levo I doubt it would get any water ingress whilst riding since the rubber skirt provides decent sealing for water from above. It will more likey get wet from a sideways flow of water as in washing with a hose.............or from condensation inside the frame most likely again caused by using hot water on a cold frame to wash it etc. Either way wrapping it is the answer.
Well it’s not going to stop me jet washing mine, if it dies it dies.. flex that warranty

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
21 years without washing a bike, i just wipe off the excess.
I save time
I save issues
I'm kinda with you on this, except that I wash mine occasionally because it's a good way to inspect things at the same time. It's only a gentle shower hose and sponge job though, with a bit of cleaner on the drivetrain to shift the oily muck before a re-lube after drying.

I NEVER jet wash them though; a jet wash is for cleaning moss off the patio floor and nothing else.

I brought my kids up on a farm and we all had recreational quad bikes for fun times. My eldest son was very proud of his YFZ450 and he kept it mint, cleaning it after every ride.
I had to fix more problems and replace more bearings on that quad than all the others combined, and at one point we had 14 of them, including the aggri. ones. Jet wash lesson learned.

Polaris

Oct 15, 2018
Lancashire, England
I'm kinda with you on this, except that I wash mine occasionally because it's a good way to inspect things at the same time. It's only a gentle shower hose and sponge job though, with a bit of cleaner on the drivetrain to shift the oily muck before a re-lube after drying.

I NEVER jet wash them though; a jet wash is for cleaning moss off the patio floor and nothing else.

I brought my kids up on a farm and we all had recreational quad bikes for fun times. My eldest son was very proud of his YFZ450 and he kept it mint, cleaning it after every ride.
I had to fix more problems and replace more bearings on that quad than all the others combined, and at one point we had 14 of them, including the aggri. ones. Jet wash lesson learned.
35 years jet washing, drying and re-lubing my bikes with no issues, including a gaggle of ebikes. Mud is scourge and should be left in the forests lol. Next you have a garage full, car full, house full and my OCD just couldn’t handle that! :LOL:

Polaris

Oct 15, 2018
Lancashire, England
Jet washing is insane and no one does it. Even on a normal bike, motorbike or a car it will strip grease and is disastrously bad for brakes.
😆 Everyone I know does it, 90% of people on these forums do it, you are definitely in a minority bud.. come join the revolution, it’s life changing!
Don’t jet wash a car.. that’s madness, do you live in the artic??

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
I brought my kids up on a farm.
We had at least 8 quads at any given time. My eldest son kept his clean after every ride.

I had to fit more new bearings into that one quad than all the rest combined.

I only wash mine very thoroughly before stripping it for a rebuild, that's the only time, because when I build them I make sure that there's a bit of grease behind every button head etc to keep water away from the bearings and seals. Washing it moves the grease more effectively than water sprayed up when riding on trails. My frame bearings etc last ages as a result.

It's a shame that none of the motors are built to be properly weather proof.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles