Giant Range Extender not Charging

Richmog08

Nov 21, 2023
Derby
I’ve recently bought a 2022 Giant Trance X Advanced E+ 1 and decided to buy the compatible range extender (I checked with Giant UK first to ensure it would fit). Once I received it and unpacked it I was instructed to fully charge it. This is where I hit a problem has the smart charger that I have doesn’t seem to recognise the range extender and therefore refuses to charge it. I contacted Giant UK who recommended that I take the bike, extender and charger into my nearest Giant dealer to get it checked out. Unfortunately my nearest dealer is a good 2 hour round trip away so was wondering if anyone has had the same issue and managed to overcome it without having to resort to going to a Giant dealer? Thanks

Rubinstein

Apr 7, 2022
kent
I’ve recently bought a 2022 Giant Trance X Advanced E+ 1 and decided to buy the compatible range extender (I checked with Giant UK first to ensure it would fit). Once I received it and unpacked it I was instructed to fully charge it. This is where I hit a problem has the smart charger that I have doesn’t seem to recognise the range extender and therefore refuses to charge it. I contacted Giant UK who recommended that I take the bike, extender and charger into my nearest Giant dealer to get it checked out. Unfortunately my nearest dealer is a good 2 hour round trip away so was wondering if anyone has had the same issue and managed to overcome it without having to resort to going to a Giant dealer? Thanks
Hi, I have a 2021 trance which I bought the extender for. When the dealer got it I was told the bike required a firmware update so the batteries would “talk to each other “ , so I took it in and the guy got the lap top out and did it in front of me. Now obviously my motor/control is the earlier pwx to yours but just wondering if the later still requires an update ?. If you’re trying to charge the extender off the bike I doubt the above will apply but just thought I’d mention.

Richmog08

Nov 21, 2023
Derby
Thanks for your reply. Yes I am trying to charge it off the bike. I know my charger is working has it charges my bike battery fine. I will have to try and get it over to the dealer to get them to take a look and I’ll post back on what they say. Thanks

Nicho

Captain Caption
Subscriber
Jan 4, 2020
Furness, South Cumbria.
Thanks for your reply. Yes I am trying to charge it off the bike. I know my charger is working has it charges my bike battery fine. I will have to try and get it over to the dealer to get them to take a look and I’ll post back on what they say. Thanks
It might be worth phoning your bike shop first to see if they have any advice before you travel there.

JBgoode

Nov 10, 2023
California
I know this is a little off topic, but similar - I have a 2023 Trance and bought the 200wh range extender (water bottle config) and am only finding it extends my range by 25%. Main battery is the 400wh so it seems that at 200wh extender should increase by 50%? Let me know what you find with your setups.

Rubinstein

Apr 7, 2022
kent
I know this is a little off topic, but similar - I have a 2023 Trance and bought the 200wh range extender (water bottle config) and am only finding it extends my range by 25%. Main battery is the 400wh so it seems that at 200wh extender should increase by 50%? Let me know what you find with your setups.
Was yours plug and play, ie no update required?

Richmog08

Nov 21, 2023
Derby
It might be worth phoning your bike shop first to see if they have any advice before you travel there.
I’ve done that and they said that they weren’t aware of any problems and asked me to take it in for them to have a look.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles