Giant 2022 + 250Wh battery range extender

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
I just got a message that the range extender that some of the bikers here bought for their 2022 models is recognized by Giant as not fully compatible with 2022 models. They are aware of the fact that the cable of the range extender is in fact too short and might be causing problems. They are looking into a solution of this problem but it's safe to say that the battery range extender that is officially compatible with 2022 models will not appear in shops before summer 2022.

Endorium

Jan 29, 2022
Cannock
I just got a message that the range extender that some of the bikers here bought for their 2022 models is recognized by Giant as not fully compatible with 2022 models. They are aware of the fact that the cable of the range extender is in fact too short and might be causing problems. They are looking into a solution of this problem but it's safe to say that the battery range extender that is officially compatible with 2022 models will not appear in shops before summer 2022.

Have the new range extender on order. Arrives in two weeks.

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
Have the new range extender on order. Arrives in two weeks.

By new do you mean unused or a new model that is fully compatible with e.g. new Reign 2022 model? Easy to recognize. If it comes and you will need to bend the cable untill it's bent 90° at some point that means you have the old model of range extender. If the cable will be a bit loose it means you have a new model. It doesn't apply to all 2022 bikes. Reign and Trance are affected for sure.

Sep 18, 2020
Truckee Ca
I bought one at my LBS, it has been at the shop for 6mo. He called his Giant rep and the word back from Giant was its compatable with my 2022 Reign E +2. I'm picking it up next week and will let everyone know if the connector is long enough.

Chris ledger

Aug 17, 2021
Rotherham
I bought one at my LBS, it has been at the shop for 6mo. He called his Giant rep and the word back from Giant was its compatable with my 2022 Reign E +2. I'm picking it up next week and will let everyone know if the connector is long enough.
Will be interested to know i enquired and the giant bike shop said they are👍👍

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
Will be interested to know i enquired and the giant bike shop said they are👍👍

My shop that specializes in ebikes and ebike parts told me that they contacted Giant directly (they are big enough). Giant clearly told them that the current range extenders are NOT designed for 2022 Reign. The 90° twist of the socket makes the cable to be under big stress. I'm waiting for your pictures guys what your shops meant exactly by "ok".

trailaddict

Jul 7, 2021
Alps
Well, I've been told that its not okay and Giant is working on a Solution. Until then I should use the Range Extender and if there is a problem with it, Giant is going to cover it. That's fair enough for me, but only because I already own the RE.

Sep 18, 2020
Truckee Ca
My update. The shop put the RE on and as stated earlier there’s a 90 degree angle right at the plug in to the motor port. I got a refund and will wait for the new RE due this summer. It did plug in but it’s very snug and the concern on all sides is rough terrain will tug on the connector eventually causing failure.
I’m
52B19F4C-44B5-4106-B0D8-385AF1687F41.png
895DBA69-BD2B-41CA-A98F-59DFB144F0BE.png
glad your lbs and Giant will service your RE.
This is what it looks like in my 2022 E+2

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
Someone mentioned about the possibility of rotating the charge port 90% to accommodate the short plug. NOT possible the charge port and cover mount is molded in one piece making it impossible to rotate. 😕
FE501269-80D2-4B97-ADAE-AFFE15FEAE70.jpeg

malc101

Nov 29, 2021
Upstate, NY
My RE has had the cord pulled out of the battery side grommet since the second day. Giant says they will replace it. I will wait until the last six months of the warrantee so that I can hopefully get a new version with the longer cord.

malc101

Nov 29, 2021
Upstate, NY
So, those of you that have a RE. Do you find it gives anywhere near the 240wh expected miles? That would be 240/625=38% , or 240/500=48% more range.

malc101

Nov 29, 2021
Upstate, NY
And one more… Is giant the kind of company that couldn’t subcontract out the design and mfg of a short adapter cable, similar to the charger one, that would make the current RE work? Or do they want to force you into buying a new unit for what only requires a $20 adapter? The more of this that goes on, the less likely is that they will have return buyers or recommendations from current users.

jaggysnake

Jul 5, 2019
uk
after one for my reign e+0 has even 750 not enough , will probably wait for new one now , cant even find the old one anywhere.

malc101

Nov 29, 2021
Upstate, NY
Has anyone scored a new updated range extender that will actually fit the 2022 Regin E or is it lost in the ethos waiting to be discovered by future archaeologists ?
It’s kind of a bummer that you can’t buy one of the accessories that you need, and that probably helped you decide on that bike. I needs to excshnge mine under warrantee because the cord has pulled from the grommet. Apparently they know about this defect. I figured I’d wait till the only ones available are the longer cord versions. It still works fine, but the strain relief is no longer functional. And the problem is caused by using a cheap vinyl wire cover that is stiff in the cold. $1 savings for them over silicone covered wire.

malc101

Nov 29, 2021
Upstate, NY
This is an issue with the Energy Plus pack. The cord is missing a strain relief and the outer jacket of the cord is cut too short. I need to warrantee this when replacements become available. Not sure how this gets past reliability testing because it happened during the first week.

C4026D83-EEEE-4EBA-8C25-35D95D5003E4.jpeg

malc101

Nov 29, 2021
Upstate, NY
Somewhat amazing that the charger and adapter cords have a strain relief. The actual ride gear does not. Hard flexing cord comes through a hole without even a split collar grommet. And the assembly person cut the outer cover short.

markoricho

Apr 9, 2022
York
Quick question, apologies if it's already been done, but does the bike use the range extender power before the battery power?
Would be handy if it did so you can ditch the extra weight once it's been used if the car is handy.

malc101

Nov 29, 2021
Upstate, NY
Quick question, apologies if it's already been done, but does the bike use the range extender power before the battery power?
Would be handy if it did so you can ditch the extra weight once it's been used if the car is handy.
Poor software/firmware prevents this. Need to get an eMTB passionate team involved in writing the code, not the apparently office bound team that’s doing it now. All they need to do is steal the way that Specialized manages 2nd battery on SL bikes.

markoricho

Apr 9, 2022
York
Poor software/firmware prevents this. Need to get an eMTB passionate team involved in writing the code, not the apparently office bound team that’s doing it now. All they need to do is steal the way that Specialized manages 2nd battery on SL bikes.
Definately!
I ride with a mate on a kenevo sl, well impressed with how it gave u 150% battery on the display with the extender plugged in then once your down to 100% you could ditch it. Impressive range on it too.

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
Has anyone opened up the RE to see if there’s more cord inside that could perhaps be fed out to provide the extra length needed ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles