Stance E Range Battery Extender

carferraz

Feb 12, 2023
South Africa
I haven't been able to find an answer to this anywhere.
My LBS says that the Giant range Extender battery pack will not work on my Stance E+ bike. They indicated that there are no mounts on my bike frame for this but couldn't confirm if everything else is compatible.
Now, I understand the mounting restriction, but if I were to figure out another way to mount this on my bike, would the extender work on my Stance? I'm using an energy pack 500 and 625

Rubinstein

Apr 7, 2022
kent
Ok, so there is a firmware update required on the bike when fitting the RE if it’s compatible. Your LBS should be able to look into your bikes software to see if this is possible to do. If so then your ok but you will have to create a mounting system for it. TBH I would look at a rack to carry another 625 or 500 if your doing long range. Will the 800 fit yours ??

carferraz

Feb 12, 2023
South Africa
Thx for the response.
Yes, the 800 will fit, but expensive and not easy to source where I live. Yeah, the rack makes sense functionally, but I can't get my head wrapped around putting one on my bike. Most of the stuff I do is off road and hilly. I'm looking at a backpack option for carrying a spare battery, but I'm not too sure of that yet.
The range extender seems to be the most elegant/practical option, but I cannot get any straight answers from my LBS. Giant simply doesn't respond to my query.
I'm sure I can arrange a working mounting system and so I simply wanted to know if this extender pack is compatible with my Stance in terms of the electronics and cable fitting

jeanmarc

Mar 2, 2021
Canada
The Range extender sounds great at first glance but there were a lot of issues with it from the get go. I would search this forum on RE to get the whole story on this. With your program my pick would be the 800wh. Good luck!

Rubinstein

Apr 7, 2022
kent
I had the RE in my 21 trance. Used it once before selling it. I sold my 625 and the RE to pay for the 800. RE cons are you loose the water bottle mount and it weighs nearly 2kg. The 800 weights 300g more than a 625, and keep your bottle mount. If you sell you 5 and 625 the 800 will cost you less than a RE, no brainier if you can source one that is. 🤔

DaveMatthews

Aug 12, 2018
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
Yeah the 800wh is my choice. Got one for my 2021 Stance. I'm now realizing that my 500 is not required. On the 500 I would average around 1km per percentage of battery drain. Now it's about 1.5km which makes sense considering the 800wh is about 60% bigger.
Selling the 625 would leave you with the 500 as backup which is bigger than the RE.
***EDIT to say you'll need a new cover for the 800***

carferraz

Feb 12, 2023
South Africa
Yeah the 800wh is my choice. Got one for my 2021 Stance. I'm now realizing that my 500 is not required. On the 500 I would average around 1km per percentage of battery drain. Now it's about 1.5km which makes sense considering the 800wh is about 60% bigger.
Selling the 625 would leave you with the 500 as backup which is bigger than the RE.
***EDIT to say you'll need a new cover for the 800***
Thank you. As a matter of interest, although perhaps subject of another thread - besides a carrier or a backpack, is there any way you could mount a spare 500 on the Stance frame to have as a ready available spare during (a very long) ride?

DaveMatthews

Aug 12, 2018
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
Thank you. As a matter of interest, although perhaps subject of another thread - besides a carrier or a backpack, is there any way you could mount a spare 500 on the Stance frame to have as a ready available spare during (a very long) ride?
Hmmm... I just measured my 500wh and it needs a good 18" to fit in a bag.
That precludes the space under the top bar on my L frame. For me the top of the bar would be a nut crusher :eek: .
I would not want the weight on my handlebar either, so to me that leaves a rear rack, or a backpack.
Of the two I'd choose backpack for rougher rides, or the rack for leisure rides.

carferraz

Feb 12, 2023
South Africa
***EDIT to say you'll need a new cover fo
Hmmm... I just measured my 500wh and it needs a good 18" to fit in a bag.
That precludes the space under the top bar on my L frame. For me the top of the bar would be a nut crusher :eek: .
I would not want the weight on my handlebar either, so to me that leaves a rear rack, or a backpack.
Of the two I'd choose backpack for rougher rides, or the rack for leisure rides.
Yeah, that's what I figured. Backpack in my case as I do mostly rougher terrain. Expensive backpacks though - those that have protectors in them

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
My Stance 2021 came with a 500Wh.
I simply do a morning ride eat at home(close to some trails)
than go for a second ride after 60 to 120 minutes of charging.
I think carrying a second battery on my back is not safe if i fall.

Labrador29

Jun 24, 2019
Marlborough New Zealand
My Stance 2021 came with a 500Wh.
I simply do a morning ride eat at home(close to some trails)
than go for a second ride after 60 to 120 minutes of charging.
I think carrying a second battery on my back is not safe if i fall.
I agree!!!! It would be crazy to carry a 500Wh battery in a backpack. Don't even consider it.

P_G_

Jul 12, 2023
Hungary
I haven't been able to find an answer to this anywhere.
My LBS says that the Giant range Extender battery pack will not work on my Stance E+ bike. They indicated that there are no mounts on my bike frame for this but couldn't confirm if everything else is compatible.
Now, I understand the mounting restriction, but if I were to figure out another way to mount this on my bike, would the extender work on my Stance? I'm using an energy pack 500 and 625
The range extender wouldn't work on Stance-E because the connectors are not same, they are not compatible. You won't be able to plug it in.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles