2020 Trance Range Extender

Oldrider

Jan 26, 2021
Adelaide
Hi All,
I would like to use a range extender on my 2020 Trance E+3 which came with a 500Wh battery.
While all of my mates who have 625Wh are disappearing into the distance I’m turning around to go home.
The problem I have come across is that none of Giant’s extenders suit my bike, in fact they seem to suit anything but 2020Trances.

Simple you say, “Just buy a 625Wh battery....”, but there aren’t any to be had at the moment in Australia and haven’t been available for months. Importing one from overseas, even New Zealand where they don’t have stock either, would be ludicrously expensive and they are dear enough as it is ($1,300 AUD). Aftermarket extenders also seem to be rather expensive, only sold in Europe (again making them expensive to import) and out of stock anyway.
"Just turn down the assistance....".... Too old and not fit enough!

So my answer to this conundrum is to adapt an existing bottle style battery in much the same way as some Levo owners have done.
DIY: Range extender for Levo (and Kenevo) - EMTB Forums

I intend to use the following items;
Bottle battery 36V 7Ah 252Wh with Sony GA 3500mAh 18650 cells 10s2p which has its own battery management system, on/off switch and comes with a charger
174.57£ 30% OFF|Bottle Ebike Battery Pack 36v 10.5ah 48v 7ah With Samsung/lg 18650 Li-ion Cell Bafang Tsdz2 750w 500w 350w 250w Mini Batteries - Electric Bicycle Battery - AliExpress
Ideal Diodes
Ideal Diodes
http://www.re-voltage.eu/downloads/ID80V3datasheetR1.pdf
and necessary hardware with wiring as follows;

1650265454155.png

In the diagram Batt 1 is the Giant battery using the existing +ve and -ve wiring from the main battery harness that originally connected to the motor and Batt 2 the range extender. Load is the motor. Apart from “Don’t buy anything from Ali Express or China”, can anyone tell me why this wouldn’t work on a 2020 Trance? I am not an electrical or any type of engineer (in fact I was a kindergarten dropout!) so I would appreciate any feedback. The last thing I want is a fried bike and/or batteries for the sake of not asking for assistance. Thank you.

andyb2

Jan 10, 2020
somerset
I think the only reason the giant extenders dont work is due to the position of the charging socket (the extender plug would foul on the crank arm)

I'm guessing the easiest way would be to use a giant extender and reroute the wires internally

Last edited:

Oldrider

Jan 26, 2021
Adelaide
I think the only reason the giant extenders dont work is due to the position of the charging socket (the extender plug would foul on the crank arm)

I'm guessing the easiest way would be to use a giant extender and reroute the wires internally

Hi Andy,
Thanks for the reply. You are quite right, the extender plug would foul the crank arm but also the connectors are different. It appears that on a 2020 Reign and on the Energy Pak Plus they are a 7 pin arrangement whereas the Trance is a 5pin. I had already considered (should have mentioned it) your suggested course of action but what to do with the extra wires? Are they necessary to the functioning of the extender, the
main battery and/or the complete system? I don't know... but then it seems, neither does anybody else or if they do, no one is saying. My other thought was to swap the entire wiring harness for a Reign one but that would probably open up another can of worms and would add to the price of the Energy Pak Plus which is close enough to $1000 AUD anyway. Also availability of EPP in Oz is the same as the 625WH battery....there's none around. . The 625Wh battery would have been a better, neater, cost efficient option. I'm resigned to the fact that whatever option I end up going with there will be some re-wiring and re-routing required.
I have included some pics to show the differences in the plugs.

Trance connectors.
IMG20220420135129.jpg

Reign Connector
p5pb17579294.jpg

Energy Pak Plus
ENERGYPAK-PLUS-700000032_700000036-4.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles