Giant 2022 + 250Wh battery range extender

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
Finally Giant Canada got back to me about the problem with the too short of cord. All I was told is that they are aware of it. 🤔That’s it ! Does anyone know of a third party Extender that will actually work on the 22 Reign?

Rubinstein

Subscriber
Apr 7, 2022
kent
Has anyone opened up the RE to see if there’s more cord inside that could perhaps be fed out to provide the extra length needed ?
I've just bought one last week and when its fitted to my trance the cable is not tight at all. There is also a velcro strap to secure the cable to the frame to stop it moving around which I can't see fitted on the pictures above, so is that an addition ??

jaggysnake

Jul 5, 2019
uk
I've just bought one last week and when its fitted to my trance the cable is not tight at all. There is also a velcro strap to secure the cable to the frame to stop it moving around which I can't see fitted on the pictures above, so is that an addition ??
Could I ask were u got it I can't find one anywhere

Rubinstein

Subscriber
Apr 7, 2022
kent
if your in the uk its Giant store shoreham. At the time they had a couple of 625wh batteries in stock also

Dale_Calgary

Jan 22, 2022
Calgary
I just got notice that the one I ordered is in on my LBS. I emailed and asked if they looked into the problem they said they would ask a rep 1 month ago. Im hesitant to buy it unless they give me a rock solid guarantee.

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
I just got notice that the one I ordered is in on my LBS. I emailed and asked if they looked into the problem they said they would ask a rep 1 month ago. Im hesitant to buy it unless they give me a rock solid guarantee.
Dale here is a copy of the email they sent me:

Dear

Thank you for contacting Giant/Liv/Momentum Canada.
Below you will find a response from our customer service department.

Hello

We are aware of this issue and apologize for the frustration.
Do you mind telling us where you had purchased the EnergyPak Plus from?

Talk soon, Thank you.

Kind Regards,
Giant | Liv | Momentum

So all I can say is good luck , you never know yours might have a new longer cord. 🙃
6A01937C-F990-4BC1-8181-0CBED0C449B3.jpeg

Last edited:

Rubinstein

Subscriber
Apr 7, 2022
kent
You need to take your bike to the shop for a firmware update to get the extender to work so to cover yourself why don’t you ask them to fit the extender for you, that way your covered warranty wise, 2 years on the battery I think ?. And if it goes on and doesn’t look right you’ll have the option to say no thanks

Rubinstein

Subscriber
Apr 7, 2022
kent
Dale here is a copy of the email they sent me:

Dear

Thank you for contacting Giant/Liv/Momentum Canada.
Below you will find a response from our customer service department.

Hello

We are aware of this issue and apologize for the frustration.
Do you mind telling us where you had purchased the EnergyPak Plus from?

Talk soon, Thank you.

Kind Regards,
Giant | Liv | Momentum

So all I can say is good luck , you never know yours might have a new longer cord. 🙃 View attachment 87931
My new one is the same length as this 👍

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
You need to take your bike to the shop for a firmware update to get the extender to work
Where did you get this information from, What’s to update ? My LBS nor Giant never mentioned anything about this. The only instructions with the extender say to charge it immediately before using.

Rubinstein

Subscriber
Apr 7, 2022
kent
Where did you get this information from, What’s to update ? My LBS nor Giant never mentioned anything about this. The only instructions with the extender say to charge it immediately before using.
It was my Giant dealer where I bought the bike and extender from. I was there when they fitted it. Out came the lap top and a firmware update was done apparently so the batteries “talk to each other “. This is on my Trance 2021. The main battery gets run down to 6% then switches over to the Rx. If the Rx gets run flat then the bike will switch over to the main battery for the remainder. This is how it works on mine in the Uk, maybe different over there ???

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
It was my Giant dealer where I bought the bike and extender from. I was there when they fitted it. Out came the lap top and a firmware update was done apparently so the batteries “talk to each other “. This is on my Trance 2021. The main battery gets run down to 6% then switches over to the Rx. If the Rx gets run flat then the bike will switch over to the main battery for the remainder. This is how it works on mine in the Uk, maybe different over there ???
That explains everything, the update and how nice the extender fits the 2021’s. On the 2022 Reign’s it’s a different story…

Rubinstein

Subscriber
Apr 7, 2022
kent
That explains everything, the update and how nice the extender fits the 2021’s. On the 2022 Reign’s it’s a different story…
So problem on the reign, or other 2022 models, No update required ?? I’m sorry if I caused confusion on this. I should have said “may require update”, my apologies

jaggysnake

Jul 5, 2019
uk
I've never known anything so complicated to buy , not only can't I find one I'm now confused has to will it fit and will I need a firmware update.

2022 reign 🥺🥺

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
Hey Dale what’s the update with your extender ?

Dale_Calgary

Jan 22, 2022
Calgary
Hey Dale what’s the update with your extender ?
LBS got a note that Giant knows its a problem especially with the medium size. Their suggestion was to come in a see if it fits. I'm going on a trip in 2.5 weeks to the USA (land of the ebike restrictions) so maybe I will be buying it or maybe not.

"For the piggy-back battery Giant says it can sometimes not work with the medium sized Reign's specifically. Their suggestion is to try the battery pack on the bike and see. They're asking for pictures of that for any fixes if needed. Maybe next time you have the bike in the shop we can try it out"

My LBS is great so I know they will work with me.

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
How the hell can a manufacturer not know if their accessories fit their bikes?
How can it fit 'some' medium frame bikes if the same model year.

Sounds like BS to me, or the message has been mangled by the bikeshop.

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
How the hell can a manufacturer not know if their accessories fit their bikes?
How can it fit 'some' medium frame bikes if the same model year.

Sounds like BS to me, or the message has been mangled by the bikeshop.
You are absolutely correct ! Giant currently has NO solution for a problem that is inherent with all the 2022 Regin E ‘s. I installed mine after many emails with Giant claiming that if( more like when) a further problem arises I can put in a warranty claim. I have no doubt in my mind I will be, it’s just a matter of time. I ended up using a heat gun to massage the connector and cable to relieve some of the tension. Without doing so it was impossible to even plug in. Because I want/need the extender I am willing to use it till it’s wrecked but will definitely be putting in a warranty claim before the year is up no matter what.
image.jpg

Rubinstein

Subscriber
Apr 7, 2022
kent
Wow, that really is crap. Nothing like the 2021, and suggesting that you run it till it brakes, then we will fix it is rather dumb considering the safety implications

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
A new message from a distributor in Germany (translated):

"Giant Taiwan has let us know via the German Giant site that Giant is currently not working on another cable solution and that the cable tension is to be understood as given."

So here you go. Giant doesn't work on a version specific to new 2022 models after all. Not great 😕.

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
A new message from a distributor in Germany (translated):

"Giant Taiwan has let us know via the German Giant site that Giant is currently not working on another cable solution and that the cable tension is to be understood as given."

So here you go. Giant doesn't work on a version specific to new 2022 models after all. Not great 😕.
So I guess we all need to make sure that ours “fails “ before the warranty is up.But do they give another year warranty on a replacement ?

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
So I guess we all need to make sure that ours “fails “ before the warranty is up.But do they give another year warranty on a replacement ?

Depends on a country you live in. In Germany the producer is forced to give you another year or even two after giving you a replacement as far as I know. And also we have 2 years of compulsory warranty. If something "doesn't work as described" you have 2 years to demand replacement.

I bought this bike with an extender in mind in the future. Now when it's not possible it's a bit less appealing. Also according with German law I can give the bicycle back and demand full refund. The bike was supposed to be able to work with range extender. So warranty is broken here.

Endorium

Jan 29, 2022
Cannock
So how many have range extenders and how many of those have had issues with the cable? How many have had no issues with the range extender?

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
Depends on a country you live in. In Germany the producer is forced to give you another year or even two after giving you a replacement as far as I know. And also we have 2 years of compulsory warranty. If something "doesn't work as described" you have 2 years to demand replacement.

I bought this bike with an extender in mind in the future. Now when it's not possible it's a bit less appealing. Also according with German law I can give the bicycle back and demand full refund. The bike was supposed to be able to work with range extender. So warranty is broken here.
Now that’s what I call an extended warranty ! There’s nothing like that in Canada 😯
One of my main reasons was also to be able to use the extender for longer distance rides..

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
So how many have range extenders and how many of those have had issues with the cable? How many have had no issues with the range extender?
Endorium just look at the picture I posted above how the cable fits. It was impossible to plug into the charger port as supplied until I took a heat gun to it. So far it’s holding up but for how long is anyones guess. It would be a $1000 replacement if it happened out of the original 1year warranty. I’m not impressed..

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles