Getting your emtb on a work stand with ease

Pan

Oct 27, 2020
Qué. Canada
New to e- mountain biking, bought a fulfat and a half fat for the miss. Recently bought a park tool 9.2 base model to do basic maintenance. My back is a sensitive thing so I tested a few methods to get the bike up without sacrificing my back. Thought I would share;

Bought a foldable single step 45cm high plastic ladder/bench for the process....

1: For right handed riders, stand on the right of the bike with the stand on the left (center but 2 feet away).
2: Place the bench on the left side of the front wheel.
3: Hold the back brake and from the handlebar push bike back to lift front wheel on ladder.
4: Switch right hand to front brake, bend your knees grab the rear with left hand low and lift rear of bike by using your knees.
5: Once the bike is horizontal pivot the bike (resting on the front wheel on the bench) to fit post (or frame) in pre-opened clamp and rest on bottom of seat. ( the first time you will need to pre-define hight of work stand, then mark it)
6: Maintaining the bike with the left hand let go of the front brake and use your right hand to secure the clamp.
7: Remove the ladder and use as bench to work on the bike.
8: When finished, replace the bench under front wheel and reverse the steps to lower the bike.

Im a techno dinosaure if you are not and like the process pls make a vidéo.

cheers

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
One hand under saddle, one under top tube. Lift bike into stand. Release bike. Do up clamp.

Despite what all the normies say, it's not a motorbike and doesn't weigh more than @Zimmerframe's huge dog.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have a back that is prone to immobilising spams myself, so I can understand the nervousness of @Pan . There is nothing worse than getting through the day feeling that my back is about to give way, which if it did would be followed by at least another week of not being able to do anything meaningful, other than to exist. But I pretty much do what @Doomanic says. But I make sure that I lift correctly, i.e. keep a straight back, tense my core, and use my leg muscles to do the heavy work. I first hurt my back in 1995, so lifting correctly is now second nature.

To @Pan Once the lockdown is over and life returns to a semblance of normal, I can 100% recommend Pilates. For something with a girly reputation and that doesn't get you sweaty, it is surprising tricky to master. I have been doing Pilates since Jan'09 after seeing it recommended in my MTB magazine. It has been a lifesaver. The Pilates I do concentrates on core strength, balance and flexibility. All useful attributes for mtb. :)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Most jobs don't even require a bike stand.
and no job needs both wheels to be off the ground at the same time.

If your back is too bad to lift your bike. Don't!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
@Pan - your Park tools stand is telescopic.
With the stand at it's lowest height you should be able to clamp your bike's (raised) seatpost with the bike still on the ground.
Leaving the lever to the rear of the clamp open so the clamp can rotate freely you should then be able to raise the telescopic arm by lifting just the rear wheel off the ground, (use a foot on the leg of the stand if needs be to stop the stand lifting off the ground as you lift the wheel) and raised it to a suitable height and tighten the telescopic arm clamp with your other hand. The bike should now be clamped securely in the stand with rear wheel off the ground and front still on the ground.
Next simply rotate the bike level and clamp the rotational adjustment lever closed.
et voila...

giphy.gif

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Most jobs don't even require a bike stand.
and no job needs both wheels to be off the ground at the same time.

If your back is too bad to lift your bike. Don't!
I can remember the last time I used the stand with both wheels off the ground. It was when I got my first carbon framed bike (Jun'15) and I didn't trust the odd shaped top tube not to be damaged in the jaws. One wheel only from then on.
If my back feels a bit delicate, than I don't do any lifting at all, or any unpleasant bending. :eek: But if I can manage a session on the exercise bike, that normally sorts it out! :)

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I have the Park Tool 9.2 also. I don’t have any back issues so I just hookup to the dropper with the front wheel on the floor. On some maintenance I just use a bike stand. Since my Rail is Carbon I don’t use the clamp on the top tube. Wish I could find a suitable clamping system for that but the Park Tool 9.2 is my go-to bike stand. Got the little tool tray too. Good to see some different techniques and uses.

And when I say “Pilates” it sounds like pepperoni …then I get hungry ?.

Landy Andy

Feb 8, 2021
Herts
i leave the top clamp loose so that it can rotate on the stand. Put the bike into the wheely position then roll it across to the stand, grip the bike in the bike clamp, then lift front wheel and tighten rotation clamp. Raise bike on stand. That way I alway have hand free to operate the clamps, and don’t need to lift bike with one hand.

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
I use the Halfords stand with fake crossbar, and lift the bike onto the stand in its lowest position. Then one foot on the stand and up it goes.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
After all those, if you still couldn't lift it on, can't you use leverage.

You'd need more space.

Just lean the stand over towards the bike so it's only on two legs.

The more you lean it, the lower it will be.

Connect to the bike.

Push the bike and the stand top away and up so it pivots on the front two stand feet and viola, it should settle back onto 4 feet and the bike will be off the ground.

Or you might just have a large jumble of stand and bike on the floor :)

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
Could you buy one of those mobility stairlift things and attach a bike clamp !
or
Lean bike over at about 45 degrees
Lean bike stand over at about 45 .......
Fix clamp to bike
Slowly and with a strong body position push bike up to 90 degrees and off the ground and on stand !
Gotta be a prize for that ?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Gotta be a prize for that ?
The late to the party prize ? post 12 ... though your description is arguably better .. :)

You think they'd make a version using an old dropper post ? Attach bike. Press lever, launch bike into air and punch yourself in the face with the saddle or smash yourself in the nuts as the wheel flies up between your legs.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
The late to the party prize ? post 12 ... though your description is arguably better .. :)

You think they'd make a version using an old dropper post ? Attach bike. Press lever, launch bike into air and punch yourself in the face with the saddle or smash yourself in the nuts as the wheel flies up between your legs.
I like this version ..might as well get the pain out of the way first ...?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Looks like it's been re-purposed from some kind of really high tech bondage dungeon ? different heights, positions - trays for your gear .

Integrated accessory bar for attaching arms, hands, legs or unusual equipment.

I'm glad the shaft clamp has micro adjust facility - that could be really uncomfortable otherwise.

You can even add a duplicate system to the rear for when you're working with more than one customer at a time ..

@The Hodge I take if you already have one of these ? (Don't feel the need to post pictures)

I want one too !

leix_toffee

Jan 15, 2021
Ireland
I take the battery out then put onto the stand (Park Tool), just to reduce the load on the point the bike hangs from. I really like the Park Tool stands and have had on for the last 15 years, they last very well for me. I think their tools are overpriced though, they are priced like SnapOn/Facom tools and nowhere near the quality.

Sidepod

Sep 2, 2020
Oxford
Been working on my bikes upside down on the ground since the earth cooled. Never felt a work stand was needed.

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey

Great minds think alike ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles