Where to clamp emtb on a repair stand?

RobbieBear

Apr 28, 2019
Northants
Hi guys,

Have a Giant Trance E+1 pro which has a dropper post.
Bit wary about clamping around the dropper part of the seat post in a repair stand but folks say not to clamp the frame.

Just pulled the trigger on a Feedback Sports Pro Elite stand. Looking forward to recieving it but wondered what your advice would be regarding where to clamp.
I presume that any damage to the dropper will cause hydraulic fluid leakage in time?

Thanks

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Your bike has an alloy frame, you'll be fine clamping the top tube, just try to find the balance point.

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Clamp on the top tube or dropper - either is fine. Don’t believe me? NP - all round bike maintenance sage Uncle Calvin says it’s fine! :cool:

RobbieBear

Apr 28, 2019
Northants
Thanks guys. Makes me feel a whole lot better!

I can hold the bike in both hands to find the balance point and then tighten clamp to the frame.

Didn't much fancy holding the bike in one hand (no superpowers here!) whilst tightening up the clamp. Woud've been fine with my CX bike but not my e-bike!

Seems from that video that it is fine to clamp a dropper post as well. Think it will be easier to offer the bike up to the clamp in both hands and balance on the clamp before tightening.

Will let folks know how I get on.

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
If you clamp on the dropper just make sure it is fully extended. The weight of a bike and especially an ebike can pull air in past the seals leading to a costly service.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I use a cheap and cheerful Halfords bike stand and find the best way is to use the top tube because the bike is then balanced. It does mean however that the horizontal top section of the stand has to be extended to give clearance between the pedal and the stand upright. The stands that lean at an angle resolve that issue. An e bike is pretty heavy for the cheaper stands! It helps to remove the front wheel and battery. On my cheapie stand I extended the main upright to a good working height and rather than rely on the plastic clamp to keep it there, drilled through the upright and put a bolt through.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles