Work Stand?

FOG

Oct 5, 2018
Sheffield UK
Just invested in an ebike and will be doing a little fettling- first job , make wheels tubeless- but am worried about my workstand. It is fairly substantial but the clamp jaws are plastic. Anybody found problems with their old stands and are there any recommendations for a really tough version?

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
The park tool stand is in the black Friday deal at CRC. Can't fault that. There are ones about half that price from Aldi etc but I've no experience of those and if they're up to the job for an ebike.

D

Deleted member 1275

Plenty of similar threads here about stands and eMTBs. I use one of the cheaper ones (a bike hut stand from hell frauds). Not bad for £40 to be honest but I do wrap my top tube with thick pipe insulation foam before clamping as the clamp looks like it wouldn't be overly kind to paintwork.
My bike (including battery) weighs about 26.5 KG and this cheap stand seems to cope without complaint.

The one AMC mentioned above might be this one. It doesnt appear to be in stock at the moment but I would probably have gone for that (at the discounted price) as opposed to the one I bought.

Last edited by a moderator:

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Some of them differ in quality and usability a bit, but I don't think I've seen a workstand yet that wouldn't take an ebike from the perspective of weight. They are all significantly over-engineered for std bikes, so it will be fine - just use some foam or similar in the jaws or around the tubes as suggested and you will be fine.

Last edited:

Mad Mark

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Nov 2, 2018
Burton on Trent
I've got a fairly cheap one and it works great, I just put it on the cross bar and don't worry about the paint work, I crash to much to worry about the paint ...?
IMG_0391.JPG

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
Plenty of similar threads here about stands and eMTBs. I use one of the cheaper ones (a bike hut stand from hell frauds). Not bad for £40 to be honest but I do wrap my top tube with thick pipe insulation foam before clamping as the clamp looks like it wouldn't be overly kind to paintwork.
My bike (including battery) weighs about 26.5 KG and this cheap stand seems to cope without complaint.

The one AMC mentioned above might be this one. It doesnt appear to be in stock at the moment but I would probably have gone for that (at the discounted price) as opposed to the one I bought.
That's a good one, but I meant this...
Park Tool Home Mechanic Repair Stand PCS-9 | Chain Reaction Cycles

GP6OWEN

Sep 20, 2018
Bournemouth

Is this the one?
FD73B5B3-07A9-44AC-AE06-589A49B336DD.jpeg

D

Deleted member 1275

Yes mate, thats the one. Good not great but at £28 its hard to go wrong to be fair!

Last edited by a moderator:

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
You might find the same thing on eBay for less, I paid £12.99 for mine...

And it’s fine for an eBike.

Nov 6, 2018
Isle of Arran
Folks can I ask are you all clamping onto the crossbar as opposed to the seat post? Every other carbon or aluminium bike I've had it was recommended to clamp on the seat post. It just strikes me that this bike is too heavy to do that! Your opinion would be appreciated.

D

Deleted member 1275

@Nigel Marshall Both of our bikes are Alu and I clamp mine to the top tube and my wife’s to the seat post as no room to clamp to the top tube due to shock mounts. Both are heavy bikes (even for eMTB’s) and no problems with either. I do have some thick insulation foam between the clamp and bikes though.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
When you think about it, when riding, you have 80-100 kg heaving away on top of the seat post, so having the bike weight of 23kg hanging on the seat post is an easy job.

But I still don't use the seat post even on my under 13kg clockwork bike, it just feels so wrong!

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
When you think about it, when riding, you have 80-100 kg heaving away on top of the seat post, so having the bike weight of 23kg hanging on the seat post is an easy job.
True, but intrinsically I feel worried clamping on a dropper - like fork stantions you really don’t want to damage them in any way. I always use the top tube myself and have never had any issues.

Nov 6, 2018
Isle of Arran
Gent's thanks for the comments it is an interesting conundrum. I guess when we sit on the seat post the load is supported through the frame and through the wheels. Hanging the bike of the seat post means the load is completely supported through a single point. My school boy mechanics tells me that the load is further multiplied by the principal of moments. So there is a significant load transferred to the seat post. My question I guess is - is the cross bar on a carbon Levo strong enough to support the load?

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Gent's thanks for the comments it is an interesting conundrum. I guess when we sit on the seat post the load is supported through the frame and through the wheels. Hanging the bike of the seat post means the load is completely supported through a single point. My school boy mechanics tells me that the load is further multiplied by the principal of moments. So there is a significant load transferred to the seat post. My question I guess is - is the cross bar on a carbon Levo strong enough to support the load?
Of course it is; if it wasn’t the bike would break as soon as it was ridden aggressively. The problem isn’t strength to support the weight of the bike, but a potential over tightening of the jaws that has been know to crack tubes. I really wouldn’t worry too much though; as long as you clamp near the balance point of the bike there is no need to go beyond lightly finger tight.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles