Garmin watch data field for Shimano STEPS EMTBs

walfersama

Dec 23, 2020
Graz
@walfersama - I've got one suggestion actually and have uploaded a new version of the data field, which might help work out what is happening in your case. If you try it, you may need to be careful to remove the old version from your watch first before installing the new version (I was experiencing some odd things happening when I was testing updates via Garmin Express).

But with the new version:
  1. If it displays "BLE Start" - then it means it is the same Garmin bug that happens with Vivo 4 & Venu (and another watch may still work)
  2. If it displays "Scan" like before - then it probably means the EM800 display is using a different bluetooth data format
Whichever of those 2 options occurs would give us some more info :)

the watch's display shows "ble start", while the shimano display shows the bluetooth-logo constantly.

what i have to add - the 530 seems to naturally support the display. I can connect my edge 530 to the display without needing to install a 3rd party app and it shows battery percentage right away.

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
the watch's display shows "ble start", while the shimano display shows the bluetooth-logo constantly.

what i have to add - the 530 seems to naturally support the display. I can connect my edge 530 to the display without needing to install a 3rd party app and it shows battery percentage right away.

Cool, thanks for trying that :) It sounds like the Vivo 4s has the same Bluetooth bug as the Vivo 4 then (i.e. it's a Garmin problem). So for now we still don't know if the new EM800 display has the same Bluetooth format or not.

And that's good to know the Garmin Edge device built-in support still works with the new display :) The built-in connection will be using ANT+ I think (rather than Bluetooth). It would be nice if they added built-in support to their watches too!

In theory you can install my "STEPS EMTB Data" datafield on the Edge 530 but I've never tried it myself (but it shows as compatible) - that will use Bluetooth again, so it might be an interesting test ...

walfersama

Dec 23, 2020
Graz
In theory you can install my "STEPS EMTB Data" datafield on the Edge 530 but I've never tried it myself (but it shows as compatible) - that will use Bluetooth again, so it might be an interesting test ...

your app works on Edge 530 Version 7.00 and also establishes a working connection with the EM800-Display.
Switches from "BLE start", to the counting Scan-Screen and shows battery percentage after. That all happens within (lets say) 3-5 seconds.

i tried with two identical bikes (both EP8, both EM800-display)
Mine has an existing connection to the edge 530 --> App works and shows battery percentage
Second bike has not been paired with edge 530 --> App works and shows battery percentage

I'm glad if I can help !

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
your app works on Edge 530 Version 7.00 and also establishes a working connection with the EM800-Display.
Switches from "BLE start", to the counting Scan-Screen and shows battery percentage after. That all happens within (lets say) 3-5 seconds.

i tried with two identical bikes (both EP8, both EM800-display)
Mine has an existing connection to the edge 530 --> App works and shows battery percentage
Second bike has not been paired with edge 530 --> App works and shows battery percentage

I'm glad if I can help !

Wow that's awesome, thanks! So it sounds like bluetooth on the EM800 display really does work the same :)

alexhalliow

Nov 5, 2020
Isle of Wight
I am using a Garmin Fenix 6 watch, but for some reason I cannot get it does play other lines / fields from this app- only the 1st one? have obviously tried adjusting under the 'settings' page...

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Just let me know if i can test something else for you !

Garmin have made an update to the bluetooth bug for Vivo 4, Vivo 4s & Venu - saying it has been fixed in Firmware 5.63: VivoActive 4: BleDelegate.onProfileRegister returns status value 2 on every 2nd and 3rd registerProfile - Connect IQ Bug Reports - Connect IQ - Garmin Forums

So when that firmware is released, and you get it on your watch, then the STEPS EMTB data field should start working like it does on the other watches!

alexhalliow

Nov 5, 2020
Isle of Wight
What I don’t understand is why you cannot search for sensors like you can on the edge for example. Is this to do with another bug or watch hardware?

are you any closer to having the data actually go into the ride data when upload to Strava?

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
I am using a Garmin Fenix 6 watch, but for some reason I cannot get it does play other lines / fields from this app- only the 1st one? have obviously tried adjusting under the 'settings' page...

It's just a simple data field, so it only displays one line of text in a single field. If you want to display other normal data fields at the same time (like speed or activity time) then you will need to add them yourself to that page of your activity.

Maybe one day I'll make a better one :) Although it would be really cool if the bike data was added to a field like this, which is totally customisable: HMs DIY #1 | Garmin Connect IQ

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
What I don’t understand is why you cannot search for sensors like you can on the edge for example. Is this to do with another bug or watch hardware?

are you any closer to having the data actually go into the ride data when upload to Strava?

Because it's using the Bluetooth on the watch you don't need to add or search for sensors - it just automatically looks for any Bluetooth signals nearby, and picks the strongest one which is a Shimano STEPS motor. Once you connect the first time then you can lock it just to that one bike in the settings.

I haven't looked into recording or uploading the data at all yet ...

alexhalliow

Nov 5, 2020
Isle of Wight
It's just a simple data field, so it only displays one line of text in a single field. If you want to display other normal data fields at the same time (like speed or activity time) then you will need to add them yourself to that page of your activity.

Maybe one day I'll make a better one :) Although it would be really cool if the bike data was added to a field like this, which is totally customisable: HMs DIY #1 | Garmin Connect IQ
I see so what’s the purpose of the three field settings to show different data like gears, battery etc on your one?

walfersama

Dec 23, 2020
Graz
Garmin have made an update to the bluetooth bug for Vivo 4, Vivo 4s & Venu - saying it has been fixed in Firmware 5.63: VivoActive 4: BleDelegate.onProfileRegister returns status value 2 on every 2nd and 3rd registerProfile - Connect IQ Bug Reports - Connect IQ - Garmin Forums

So when that firmware is released, and you get it on your watch, then the STEPS EMTB data field should start working like it does on the other watches!

I will try that today afternoon. Thx for the Info!

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
I see so what’s the purpose of the three field settings to show different data like gears, battery etc on your one?

It displays all the selected values on a single line, like "trail 65%" for assist mode and battery. It's basically the simplest option that Garmin provide for a data field ? Going beyond that takes a lot more time and work.

I have open sourced the code though, so it's available for anyone else to improve on!

alexhalliow

Nov 5, 2020
Isle of Wight
Hi folks, trying to establish is it actually possible to use the Fenix watches (mine is a 6) to pull the ride data in terms of power, cadence etc. It appears not , as the little data field apps are just for reference only and a sensor search never shows any results- which is odd...

I am guessing only way to pull ride data currently is to use a Edge device to sync with strava for example?

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Hi folks, trying to establish is it actually possible to use the Fenix watches (mine is a 6) to pull the ride data in terms of power, cadence etc. It appears not , as the little data field apps are just for reference only and a sensor search never shows any results- which is odd...

I am guessing only way to pull ride data currently is to use a Edge device to sync with strava for example?

Yep I think you're basically right that you can only use an Edge, but not the watches - Garmin / Shimano have never added the ability (yet) to pair a STEPS e-bike with a Garmin watch as a sensor unfortunately :(

There are some phone apps (if you ever take your phone with you), but I've never tried them, so I don't know what they give you:
Other things to note are:
  • So far as I know it's not possible to get the motor or rider power from a Shimano STEPS bike directly in any way at all - some methods you can get the assist percentage but that is it. Some people have used power meters like normal bikes, e.g. in the cranks or pedals to get rider power.
  • You could get cadence by using a separate Garmin cadence sensor attached to the crank & paired with your watch.
  • You should be able to get speed, distance, elevation from the watch GPS.
  • Orbea have added their own Garmin app (Orbea RS Toolbox) for the Rise but I believe they worked both with Garmin & Shimano to achieve this (using ANT+). This looks like it gives all the extra information, and it does get uploaded to Garmin Connect - I don't know if that can be sent on to Strava too.
  • It may be possible to get the cadence from the Bluetooth data too - I keep meaning to check if I can add it to my data field, but not got around to it yet ...

alexhalliow

Nov 5, 2020
Isle of Wight
Thanks Mark, some useful insights there. It’s shame the integration isn’t as good.

I know with the Levo for example appears under sensors on a search with the watches.

I saw the Orbea app, but looks like you need the serial number of your orbea bike in order to activate.

I actually changed away from Bosch to shimano one of the reasons being that I thought the integration for recording ride data should be better, but alas doesn’t seem much better....

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Thanks Mark, some useful insights there. It’s shame the integration isn’t as good.

I know with the Levo for example appears under sensors on a search with the watches.

I saw the Orbea app, but looks like you need the serial number of your orbea bike in order to activate.

I actually changed away from Bosch to shimano one of the reasons being that I thought the integration for recording ride data should be better, but alas doesn’t seem much better....

I'm surprised Garmin haven't made a watch aimed at cycling / mountain biking yet - maybe they see the Edge units as enough coverage. But they make watches aimed at driving, running, hiking, golfing, diving, flying etc ...

Comparing the cost of a watch to a new EMTB you'd think it would be a good market.

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
@mark.ai - does the SC-EM800 support the necessary BLE capabilities to work with your data field?

Yes, I think it works :)

walfersama mentioned just above that he tested the EM800 display: Garmin watch data field for Shimano STEPS EMTBs - EMTB Forums
  • It worked with my data field running on an Edge unit (and that just runs the same BLE code as on a watch)
  • He couldn't confirm it on a watch as there was a Garmin bug with his Vivo 4 (which is fixed when Garmin release the next firmware) - but it should be exactly the same as the Edge.
I've also tested with EW-EN100 connected to an EP8 motor and that does work too, if it's useful.

Crabstick

Mar 29, 2021
Finland
I don't think they have released it quite yet! The latest may be 5.60, and you will need 5.63. Hopefully the next couple of weeks though it will go live.

Hi,

I had to register on this forum just to say big thank you to Mark! This is a really great feature especially when the shimano display has only 5 segments for the battery.

I have Vivoactive 4 and verified that the FW fix works! As said, it's not released yet, but there is a beta version available that contains this fix. Download from below and follow instructions to install.

Latest beta firmware 5.73:

Last edited:

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Hi,

I had to register on this forum just to say big thank you to Mark! This is a really great feature especially when the shimano display has only 5 segments for the battery.

I have Vivoactive 4 and can verify that the FW fix works! As said, it's not released yet, but there is a beta version available that contains this fix. Download from below and follow instructions to install.

Latest beta firmware 5.73:

Awesome, that is good news - thanks for confirming the fix :)

walfersama

Dec 23, 2020
Graz
good morning all!
Update 5.80 for vivo active 4(s) is online and already installed. I am going to try it out this weekend and give you feedback asap.

Blokie

May 30, 2019
Derbyshire, UK
My Venu 2 arrived yesterday and installed this data field and it is working perfectly. Looks like my timing was excellent with a brand new update supporting this new model.

Thanks for your work on this Mark!

Biano44

Oct 7, 2020
Charnwood
This all sounds very cool......I am considering selling my Garmin Edge 1030plus and getting a Garmin watch.
I have 2 bikes though, an E-bike and a regular MTB. I want the watch to work with both if possible.
Basic functions I need on display is Time, speed, distance and heart rate (inc max HR if poss).
The E-bike has Shimano E8000 with EN100 (no display) would need to add Battery % and user mode to the Watch while displaying the others.
I have a Garmin HR strap, Garmin wheel speed sensors for each bike and a Cadence sensor for the normal MTB but currently the E-bike sends its own cadence info.

Do you think it is possible to swap the 1030 for a watch and not lose any features/usability?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles