Garmin watch data field for Shimano STEPS EMTBs

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
This is something I've wanted to try for a while, and finally got around to it! Garmin released some generic Bluetooth libraries for developers earlier in the year which opened up the possibility of connecting new watches to Shimano EMTBs (since Garmin have never added direct support themselves). This would mainly be useful for anyone who uses the EW-EN100 junction instead of a display. So I tried making a simple data field and it seems to work - you can view battery percentage, assist mode and gear number on your watch now :)

This is the Garmin app store link (it lists which watches are compatible): STEPS EMTB Data
(It's approved but apparently may take a day to show up for everyone …)

Note I've only been able to test it with one watch (Fenix 5X+) and one EMTB (using the EW-EN100). It may work with (some of) the Shimano displays too, but I've no idea, so let me know if you try it! Even if you have a display it could be useful as it tells you the exact battery percentage - so there is more detail than just 5 bars. I've also not been able to test how well it works if there are a load of e-bikes around - in theory it should be ok, but things might go wrong :) So if anyone tries it I'd love to hear any feedback or problems so I can fix them.

Update: thanks to @dabbler for testing on E7000 display (it works!)
Update 2: and it does not work for the E8000 display (thanks to @RickBullotta for testing)

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Yes I do, I have a Garmin watch, can’t remember which model, but will give it a try and report back

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Cool, interested to hear if it works :) Once you've connected the first time, there is a setting you can enable to lock it to only connect back to that same bike. Or just leave it if you want to go around telling everyone else their battery percentage!

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Is this the app?

568F0663-F579-42F0-B923-4225D6B23045.png

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere

Nope, that isn't mine! But well found, never seen that one before :) I'll have to give it a go as it looks more full featured than mine. That one looks like a full screen data field - whereas the one I've done is just a single line of text so you can use it with other data on screen.

@JanCapek would be interested in that one too, as it doesn't use bluetooth, but uses the ANT connection, which I didn't think was possible as Shimano use a weird format ...

Mine just looks like this on it's own and is called STEPS EMTB Data:
1577913514184.png

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I cant find it on the Garmin IQ App Store? I need to download it via the app on my phone to load it onto watch

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
I cant find it on the Garmin IQ App Store? I need to download it via the app on my phone to load it onto watch

If you're searching through the app on your phone (Garmin Connect Mobile) and it isn't showing up then your watch probably doesn't support Bluetooth LE :cry: It should show up if you search for "Shimano". If you go to the webpage directly from my link above then you can see the "compatible devices". Which watch do you have?

But @JanCapek is still working to get his ebike fields to connect to Shimano e-bikes and I think he will be successful soon! If he does then his apps will have a good chance to work with your watch ...

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I have a forerunner 235 - never used it for anything other than strava, and I dont use that much!

JanCapek

Aug 16, 2018
Czech Republic
Hi @R120 , you have bike with Shimano which supports ANT+ connectivity? Would you be so kind to test my debug app on your FR235 to check whether it will be able to connect to your bike? Thanks

dabbler

Feb 21, 2019
Scotland
Hi @R120 , you have bike with Shimano which supports ANT+ connectivity? Would you be so kind to test my debug app on your FR235 to check whether it will be able to connect to your bike? Thanks

Just tried your app on Fenix 5 plus connecting to SC-E7000 display (no connection happened). Then tried mark.ai's application and it connected in a few seconds (so it works with SC-E7000 display).

Is there anything I can do to debug this more as your app has lots of good information?

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Just tried your app on Fenix 5 plus connecting to SC-E7000 display (no connection happened). Then tried mark.ai's application and it connected in a few seconds (so it works with SC-E7000 display).

Is there anything I can do to debug this more as your app has lots of good information?

Cool, thanks for testing my one :) Good to know it works for E7000 display with bluetooth.

Jan is sending me some versions of his app to test as he gets time - but obviously a bit hard as he doesn't have a Shimano e-bike. At least with that app that R120 found he knows it can work with ANT connection, but he is having to reverse engineer some stuff (as no documentation from Shimano).

Tuplis

Mar 16, 2019
Finland
Whoa, this is just what I have been waiting for. Broke my screen and changed to EN-100 and also have Garmin 245M on my wrist.

Will be testing tomorrow

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Whoa, this is just what I have been waiting for. Broke my screen and changed to EN-100 and also have Garmin 245M on my wrist.

Will be testing tomorrow

Cool :) You can change that "STEPS EMTB" label in the settings by the way (e.g. to the name of your bike)

JanCapek

Aug 16, 2018
Czech Republic
Hi guys, thanks to @mark.ai I know that there is still some issue with my implementation of ANT+ Shimano connectivity as it connects to simulated connectivity just fine but is unable to connect to real bike for some reason.

So it seems that to finalise it, I really need to test it with compatible bikes by myself. But it is still not clear to me, what bike are ANT+ compatible. Is it really only option to have bike with EN-100 or also some headunits from Shimano can provide connectivity? I would like to rent some bike to test with, but I don't think I will easily manage to get bike with optional EN-100 unit, so I am trying to find out what to get. You all have this EN-100 kit paired with E7000 motor?

EDIT: By any change if anybody knows: isn't connectivity somehow working even if EN-100 isn't connected to bike? I am thinking if it will not be enough if I purchase only this unit for some basic connectivity test. (But it can be probably only powered from ebike battery, right? )

Last edited:

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Hi guys, thanks to @mark.ai I know that there is still some issue with my implementation of ANT+ Shimano connectivity as it connects to simulated connectivity just fine but is unable to connect to real bike for some reason.

So it seems that to finalise it, I really need to test it with compatible bikes by myself. But it is still not clear to me, what bike are ANT+ compatible. Is it really only option to have bike with EN-100 or also some headunits from Shimano can provide connectivity? I would like to rent some bike to test with, but I don't think I will easily manage to get bike with optional EN-100 unit, so I am trying to find out what to get. You all have this EN-100 kit paired with E7000 motor?

EDIT: By any change if anybody knows: isn't connectivity somehow working even if EN-100 isn't connected to bike? I am thinking if it will not be enough if I purchase only this unit for some basic connectivity test. (But it can be probably only powered from ebike battery, right? )

I have the EW-EN100 with the E8000 motor. I suspect for ANT it will also work with the SC-E7000 display (as that works for Garmin Edge devices) but not the E8000 display (which doesn't work with Edge)

Ranger

Jan 11, 2020
Canada
@mark.ai Thanks for your work. I'm super interested in testing this app on my Garmin smartwatch, unfortunately you removed compatibility for the Forerunner 645, what seems to be the issue with the 645, I'm willing to test it's compatibility.

Thanks again!

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
@mark.ai Thanks for your work. I'm super interested in testing this app on my Garmin smartwatch, unfortunately you removed compatibility for the Forerunner 645, what seems to be the issue with the 645, I'm willing to test it's compatibility.

Thanks again!

Thanks for your interest! I thought the 645 (and vivoactive 3) were both compatible with the Bluetooth code - unfortunately it seems they aren't :( The 645 music and vivoactive 3 music both are though (for some reason!) I only noticed when I saw some crashes recorded from someone trying it on the vivoactive 3.

However I've only been able to test the 645 in a simulator (where it reports Bluetooth isn't available). I'll PM you a custom version (on this forum) for your 645 if you're willing to try it, as there is a small possibility the simulator could be wrong. If it works I can add it back in again properly.

Ranger

Jan 11, 2020
Canada
Yes unfortunately the Garmin Forerunner 645 is not compatible. I appreciate Mark's efforts though.

I hope @JanCapek can workout the connection with his apps. (if you need a tester I'm around)

Lowkku

Aug 5, 2019
Finland
What about support for Vivoactive 4, should be quite close hardware wise to VA3 music that works? Just got my VA4 and was quite bummed it didn't comply. Ofcourse I assumed if older version has needed BLE(?) connections, newer has them aswell and compatibility list is more like a guideline.. :)
Currently my bike is going through a motor swap, but when I get it back I'd be willing to test this app with VA4

JanCapek

Aug 16, 2018
Czech Republic
Yes, I am confident now that I will be able to connect to the bikes even from non-ble devices via ANT+, but have to first get my hands to some real bike with Shimano ANT+ to test it by myself, so can't promise now when this can happen. :unsure:

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
What about support for Vivoactive 4, should be quite close hardware wise to VA3 music that works? Just got my VA4 and was quite bummed it didn't comply. Ofcourse I assumed if older version has needed BLE(?) connections, newer has them aswell and compatibility list is more like a guideline.. :)
Currently my bike is going through a motor swap, but when I get it back I'd be willing to test this app with VA4

The VA4 is on the compatibility list for mine, so it should be listed in the app store for you to download: STEPS EMTB Data:) (And I checked in the simulator that the VA4 supports BLE!)

Edit: actually it may possibly not show up if your VA4 isn't on the latest firmware - so if you can't see it check your watch is up to date via Garmin Express.

Last edited:

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Just so we're clear, it *does not* work with the E8000 *display*.

That's a shame, but thanks for testing! I'll update my notes on what works and what doesn't. (The E8000 display acts differently for ANT+ connections too, so Shimano must have just done everything different on that ...)

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
That's a shame, but thanks for testing! I'll update my notes on what works and what doesn't. (The E8000 display acts differently for ANT+ connections too, so Shimano must have just done everything different on that ...)

I was clarifying because of the name of the add-on. ;-)

It's great work, Mark - the issue is not yours, its with the dumbass amateurs who write the firmware at software at Shimano.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles