Garmin watch data field for Shimano STEPS EMTBs

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
So I can have Speed, Heart Rate, distance, E-bike battery level, E-bike assist level all displayed on the watch?

Yep I display all those too.

Would the watch use my speed, cadence and HR sensors via ANT+?

HR definitely works as I use that (via ANT+). I'm guessing speed & cadence sensors probably will too, but I've never tried. (I just use GPS speed from the watch if I want to see it).

You can't currently display cadence directly from the e-bike, but I'll see if it is possible one day!

b33k34

Apr 15, 2021
UK
Yep I display all those too.

Is there any reason your app wouldn't work with the Edge 130? It's not currently listed as compatible but PedroLoco's app works...

I'd just like to get battery %age on a screen along with my other data fields (rather than a separate page for the e bike data)

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Is there any reason your app wouldn't work with the Edge 130? It's not currently listed as compatible but PedroLoco's app works...

I'd just like to get battery %age on a screen along with my other data fields (rather than a separate page for the e bike data)

Yep unfortunately I've tested it with the Edge 130 and it wasn't compatible :(

The STEPS EMTB Data app uses Bluetooth to communicate between your bike and other device (watch/Edge) whereas the other apps all use ANT+ I think.

It's a shame but Garmin haven't enabled the Bluetooth functionality for the Edge 130 in the CIQ libraries (which are used for developing apps) :( This tends to be for hardware reasons (e.g. the device doesn't support Bluetooth at all or the chip they have used doesn't have the particular features required for the CIQ libraries) or it can be because a device is old and no longer being updated.

SimonDee

Jan 23, 2021
Forest of Dean
Great work Mark, thanks for making it available. I went and bought a Forerunner 55 for my new Rise without checking that RS toolbox was compatible...I mean it must be, got to be their best selling new model right? Nope. I think Orbea's developer has probably moved on!
Anyway, you saved the day. Works perfectly.

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Great work Mark, thanks for making it available. I went and bought a Forerunner 55 for my new Rise without checking that RS toolbox was compatible...I mean it must be, got to be their best selling new model right? Nope. I think Orbea's developer has probably moved on!
Anyway, you saved the day. Works perfectly.

Cool, glad it works :) Looks like a great watch! As it's a newly released watch (well June/July time ...) it may just be they have forgotten to add it to the RS Toolbox app, so maybe it will appear in a future version ...

Benjimax

Feb 3, 2019
U.K.
Hi all, having trouble with the steps emtb data app in my new edge 530. Ive got an Orbea Rise with the standard controller (EW-EN100 I think...), bike seems to connect to the edge as the standard shimano steps app works, but emtb data field keeps attempting to connect but no joy. Tried moving through the modes to 'wake up' the connection, removing data field and reinstalling etc. Have had it work on my vivoactive 3 music so it seems to be something about the Edge...run out of ideas so any suggestions much appreciated! Thanks 👍

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Hi all, having trouble with the steps emtb data app in my new edge 530. Ive got an Orbea Rise with the standard controller (EW-EN100 I think...), bike seems to connect to the edge as the standard shimano steps app works, but emtb data field keeps attempting to connect but no joy. Tried moving through the modes to 'wake up' the connection, removing data field and reinstalling etc. Have had it work on my vivoactive 3 music so it seems to be something about the Edge...run out of ideas so any suggestions much appreciated! Thanks 👍

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think you can only have one active "connection" at a time from a device to your Rise. So if you have the Rise added as a sensor to your Edge 530 then that would count as one connection (via ANT+) - and that would prevent the STEPS datafield also connecting (via Bluetooth). Or if you are using the Orbea RS Toolbox app that also counts as one connection (and prevents other stuff connecting).

But if you have your Rise connected as a sensor to the Edge 530 then you should have no need to use the STEPS datafield anyway :) All the information should be available directly using the standard fields included in the Edge 530 (e.g. battery, assist mode etc). I only added support for the Edge devices because someone asked - it's really intended for the watches since they can't add Shimano e-bikes directly as a sensor.

Is there something you are trying to use the STEPS datafield for which isn't possible using the standard fields?

I'm also not sure if you can have 2 devices connected at once to the same e-bike - I suspect not. E.g. as a sensor on an Edge device, and also using the STEPS datafield on a watch at the same time.

Benjimax

Feb 3, 2019
U.K.
I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think you can only have one active "connection" at a time from a device to your Rise. So if you have the Rise added as a sensor to your Edge 530 then that would count as one connection (via ANT+) - and that would prevent the STEPS datafield also connecting (via Bluetooth). Or if you are using the Orbea RS Toolbox app that also counts as one connection (and prevents other stuff connecting).

But if you have your Rise connected as a sensor to the Edge 530 then you should have no need to use the STEPS datafield anyway :) All the information should be available directly using the standard fields included in the Edge 530 (e.g. battery, assist mode etc). I only added support for the Edge devices because someone asked - it's really intended for the watches since they can't add Shimano e-bikes directly as a sensor.

Is there something you are trying to use the STEPS datafield for which isn't possible using the standard fields?

I'm also not sure if you can have 2 devices connected at once to the same e-bike - I suspect not. E.g. as a sensor on an Edge device, and also using the STEPS datafield on a watch at the same time.
Hi Mark
Many thanks for the quick reply -
I was mainly after battery in % which I thought the only way was using your datafield (i thought on the Garmin it was the five bar battery symbol) but I checked this morning and found the battery % so I'm sorted :)

Just for info I tried removing the sensor and switching off my watch and turned the bluetooth off on my phone to be sure nothing else was connected to the bike and still couldn't get STEPS datafield to connect, so not got to the bottom of that.

Thanks again for your help!

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Hi Mark
Many thanks for the quick reply -
I was mainly after battery in % which I thought the only way was using your datafield (i thought on the Garmin it was the five bar battery symbol) but I checked this morning and found the battery % so I'm sorted :)

Just for info I tried removing the sensor and switching off my watch and turned the bluetooth off on my phone to be sure nothing else was connected to the bike and still couldn't get STEPS datafield to connect, so not got to the bottom of that.

Thanks again for your help!

Great, glad you are sorted :)

If you ever try the STEPS datafield on your Edge again and there are problems connecting then we can figure it out - but it can take a while to narrow it down, as there's at least 10 things it could be!

JanCapek

Aug 16, 2018
Czech Republic
Hi guys,

for those who can't use Mark's datafield due to its BLE nature, can you please checkout and test Ebike Field v3.0.0 with Shimano bikes which have ANT capability? It took ages, but finally I manage to implement the compatibility with these bikes. :) Hopefully it will work correctly. (Initial pairing might take little longer, but then it should be swift to reconnect.) Let me please know!

BTW, am I correct assuming that all Shimano based bikes have following assist levels? OFF, ECO, TRAIL, BOOST, WALK
Thanks!

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Hi guys,

for those who can't use Mark's datafield due to its BLE nature, can you please checkout and test Ebike Field v3.0.0 with Shimano bikes which have ANT capability? It took ages, but finally I manage to implement the compatibility with these bikes. :) Hopefully it will work correctly. (Initial pairing might take little longer, but then it should be swift to reconnect.) Let me please know!

BTW, am I correct assuming that all Shimano based bikes have following assist levels? OFF, ECO, TRAIL, BOOST, WALK
Thanks!

Cool news and great work! :)

On the assist levels, you’re right that those are how many exist. But I’ve had some messages saying they can be named differently, e.g. on commuter bikes. I think you can even choose which naming version in the e-tube app now.

Either: Eco, Trail, Boost
Or: Eco, Norm (Normal?), High

I’ve had a note to add the name option to the settings for my data field - I don’t know if it is possible to tell which version the bike is set to.

JanCapek

Aug 16, 2018
Czech Republic
Yep, I have already in progress that customisation of assist mode names, but thought to enable it only for ANT+ LEV bikes and not Shimano.. Seems like not good idea then.

For now I am just curious if the implementation work properly for others, as I am testing it without bike which is kind of lame. :) If you will have change to give it a try, it would be great. :)

eMullet

Mar 28, 2021
Planet Earth
I briefly tested this with my Canyon Spectral:ON (EP8, 8036 battery, EN100 control unit) and it connects fine with Fenix 6s solar ver 20.30. I will report further testing on my ride from work to home today. The assist detection also seem to work (off, eco, trail, boost, walk)

Without premium, I won't be able to test the battery graph

Last edited:

Gismo6303

Sep 4, 2021
France
I've test it work on orbea rise with ep8 rs but I can't have what I want in my display. It's the same problem with other data screens. I want to display % bat, mode, hearth rate cadence and travel range on the same screen.

If I use a data screen I can't connect the bike to my garmin 830, and none data screen give me all I want :cry:

eMullet

Mar 28, 2021
Planet Earth
Unfortunate it stopped working. Wouldn't connect to my bike anymore. I tried to set the battery id to 0 but that didn't help. Then I reinstalled the data field but that didn't help either.

eMullet

Mar 28, 2021
Planet Earth
I've test it work on orbea rise with ep8 rs but I can't have what I want in my display. It's the same problem with other data screens. I want to display % bat, mode, hearth rate cadence and travel range on the same screen.

If I use a data screen I can't connect the bike to my garmin 830, and none data screen give me all I want :cry:

There can only be 1 connection to the bike at a time

I will continue using the default steps as a sensor method with my edge 530. I can get cadence that way. Would be nice if garmin would record the steps reported battery level.

Gismo6303

Sep 4, 2021
France
I'm agree with you, garmin miss something here, and same for the power apply on pedal, there is a sensor in the moteur but Shimano don't cast the data :cautious:

JanCapek

Aug 16, 2018
Czech Republic
Thanks guys for report. So if you deactivate Steps sensor within Garmin settings, it will work just fine, correct?

But together with Step sensor activated, it or Ebike Field doesn't get the data...Yep, that make sense. Will think about the issue little more. I should be able to record cadence, but not show it on screen as it doesn't fit to this one universal datafield...

siganberg

Jan 26, 2022
America/Los_Angeles
I just tried this one, I'm able to make it work but only show the assist level. The battery percentage is not working for me. Just showing % symbol without number value.

My Devices:
EP8 motor with SC-EM800 display
Fenix 5

siganberg

Jan 26, 2022
America/Los_Angeles
% of battery takes time to appear. Sometime you need to pedal and use some battery for refreshing it and it will appear

I see. Yeah, I haven't ridden my new bike yet and will report tomorrow. Thanks for the additional info.

20220124_194819.jpg

Nebo1ss

Dec 21, 2021
London

i see so many negative comments about the Shimano RS interface with the Garmin. I use the Garmin 530 myself and the only issue i see is that you cannot have heart rate on the same screen. I manage this by having two screens switching every few seconds and the Heart Rate and lots of other data is on the second screen.

JanCapek

Aug 16, 2018
Czech Republic
Are cadence and remaining range that useful info? I don't have them on my EDGE screen while riding my Turbo Levo and don't think I missing anything. Current battery percentage, distance and ascended meters on one screen give me enough info to know how much I will be able to ride with current battery charge and still can fit other useful data.

Gismo6303

Sep 4, 2021
France
It's a good advice, i've never ride with a computeur before. I've a bosh gen 4 which display 5 bars of battery and Remaining distance on his screen, i'm used to do with that instead of battery percentage. I must try this

JanCapek

Aug 16, 2018
Czech Republic
BTW, Shimano bikes doesn't report cadence also via ordinary Cadence ANT sensor protocol like Specialized bikes (which even have extremely useful ANT power sensor integrated)?

All this is only because Shimano is greedy and don't use standard and open protocols. Instead they use only their own private connectivity (and don't ask me how I am able to read it...). :mad:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles