Levo Gen 2 Front vs. Rear Suspension travel range, and ride level.

KenGPS

Aug 9, 2020
Alaska, USA
I have a new 2021 Levo Comp. I've set the sag properly front to back, and high enough pressure not to bottom out on jumps. On jumps I use 95% front, 90% rear. But on smaller bumpy sections of trail I am using about 40 percent of the travel limit in front, and about 60% in back. I'm thinking I should add some volume spacers in the front fork. That should allow me to lower the pressure in the fork and get closer to the same 60% travel range same as the rear suspension, yet without bottoming on the jumps. But I'm wondering if there is any reason I shouldn't match up the front to rear suspension. As it is I'm basically riding with the front high all the time, and the rear sagging a bit lower. Is this desirable for some reason? Or should the bike be riding evenly whether small bumps or large jumps? Any help appreciated.

Last edited:
Reactions: EME

KenGPS

Aug 9, 2020
Alaska, USA
Been doing a lot more testing on various surfaces, from small ripples to big jumps. I lowered the fork pressure some more without regard for the big jumps. Now I have near perfect Front to Back travel coordination from initial sag to about 70% of max travel. More than that and the fork starts compressing more than the rear. At 100% on the fork the rear shock only goes to about 85% travel. Now I'll add some volume spacers until I stop bottoming the forks on jumps. As sold by Specialized, at my weight (168 lbs) the Fox 36 is just not as progressive as the rear shock. It comes stock with 1 volume spacer. I ordered 4 more so I can experiment.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
In answer to your first question.
Yes. for a number of reasons running a stiffer fork with less sag than your shock is beneficial. As is running rebound damping slightly faster on your fork than rear shock.
There's no rule saying you should necessarily be using any particular percentage of travel on jumps. how much travel you use on a kicker and landing depends massively on the type of jump, type of landing and type/experience/level of rider. Ideally you only want to use all your available travel on the harshest hits you're likely to encounter or basically when you've fucked up. Plenty dirt jumpers run their forks so stiff they NEVER use anywhere near the % of travel you are trying to achieve. but those bikes are not set-up for general trail riding.
Within reason suspension set-up preferences are entirely personal. What is way wrong for one rider might be exactly what another rider chooses to run. So. Yeah. just experiment until you're happy with your particualr preferred set-up.
My god I'm hungover.

Have a look at the suspension set-up stickied topic at the top of the general emtb forum if you're struggling to understand anything.

KenGPS

Aug 9, 2020
Alaska, USA
So I added volume spacers. Spec sheet says it comes with 1, but it had 2 installed. I added 2, but that was too much. Removed one, and now it's perfect with 3 total.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles