Fluid leak near motor - 2020 Trance E+3

orangeterror

Feb 24, 2021
California
Hi there,

I went for a 25 mile ride with about 4400 feet of climbing yesterday on a Fire Road in California. No apparent problems on the ride.

-This morning, I got up to prep the bike for another ride and there was a puddle of what looked to be and felt like clear mineral oil underneath the bike apparently coming out of the motor casing.
-The brakes still seem to work so I don't think that is the problem, but who knows. I am not sure if there is a reservoir under the motor casing.
-The shock does not appear to be leaking, and if it did, it would leak into the cavity it is attached to and that is dry.

I am definitely not riding it until the problem is figured out. I am taking it into the LBS where I bought it tomorrow morning.

I just wondered if anyone else had a similar issue or had ideas on what it might be. Your feedback is much appreciated.

Pictures attached. It was a dusty ride with a very small puddle at the end so the bike and the chain look very dirty (just finished a ride after all...I do clean and lube my entire drive train before I go out).

Thank you.

20210307_045321.jpg

20210307_045545.jpg

20210307_045549.jpg

20210307_045625.jpg

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
Have you tried removing the motor cover at the bottom? It is only 3 or 4 screws and can be removed easily...Then you can check the housing there but it looks like a problem with the rear brake line. However you say that the rear break still works normally so maybe it needs some more time to lose enough oil to start losing power.

orangeterror

Feb 24, 2021
California
Thank you all, especially JensO, Zimmerframe and KuRi. It was indeed the dropper post. Phew! Easy repair and my LBS was able to take care of it same day. (y):D

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles