New Bikes!! Trance e+1 & e+3

DarkBlueSheep

Oct 31, 2018
Brisbane
5DE1CFE9-5581-4F21-A965-7EF0C4A49FE2.jpeg
D0AB40EB-D4F6-42D4-AF53-59D925CA593E.jpeg
B07C4E36-BAC3-4456-AF5B-2E3ED161A29B.jpeg
Picked them up yesterday and rode them 18km home. Went out for a little ride in the woods today too. Loving it!!

51CFE482-A02A-4CFF-B6FA-1A8F9CA53CF1.jpeg

Last edited:

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Don’t know why the first picture posted multiple times :/
Just edit the post and delete the repeats. Very nice bikes though; I saw one of these alongside a 2019 Levo the other day, and IMO given the price differential it’s difficult to see a reasons to choose the Specialized (though maybe that is in part because I would hate feeling like a sheep...! ;)).

I am still a little nervous about that Yamaha motor not having an adaptive mode though; if they added one of those as a firmware update I think my bank account would be readying itself for an assault by now.

Last edited:

DarkBlueSheep

Oct 31, 2018
Brisbane
Yeah I will try edit the post tomorrow on the laptop.

It came down to the Giant and the Mederida 900 for me, the integrated battery on the Giant really couldn't be ignored.

I haven't try any other motors but I am really enjoying the Yamaha, you definitely notice the noise but the instant engagement when you put pressure on the crank is really nice.

Shane

Sep 16, 2018
Adelaide
My wife and I picked ours up on Friday and went for our first ride yesterday (working Saturday).

Loving them! Did about 20kms or so (forgot to turn on the ride tracker till the end), mostly on 1 or 2 lights. Tried a lot of trails we never bothered with because of the climbs and had a great time.

Just need to get my skills up now, but that’s gonna be easier with more time on the downhill and less on the climbs :)
11B5077E-2195-4178-A8AE-A6F0CBF9B54A.jpeg

Shane

Sep 16, 2018
Adelaide
It’s an xs Liv and mines a medium Trance but the batteries are exactly the same and can be swapped out/over. So one cool thing about having two from the same range is that if either of us goes out on our own we can either take a battery in a backpack or leave one in the car and swap them over when one goes flat.

Seems like it takes a LOT of riding to run them dry though.

DarkBlueSheep

Oct 31, 2018
Brisbane
That was exactly my thinking for getting the two giants. The wife loved the green e+3, and I must admit the colour looks amazing in the sunlight.

I did my 36km (total) commute along cycle paths today for the first time, couple of big hills, I was in maximum power the whole time, and it used two lights of battery. Battery life seems alright but I was doing most of the work on the flats

Mesa

Nov 12, 2018
SO Cal
I am 5'11" and still researching but probably going for a medium E+1 pro like yours. Thank you for the updates and observations.

How is the seat post height for steep climbs? overall feel for medium use? The reach difference between medium and large is 17.4" and 18.1" respectively. The wheelbase difference for nimbleness over downhill speed... medium is 47.6" Large is 48.5". My around the block test ride is coming up next week but no trails for that.

Glad you and wifey are smiling. Plus newly discovered trails, that the E-Trance has now let you discover.

DarkBlueSheep

Oct 31, 2018
Brisbane
How is the seat post height for steep climbs? overall feel for medium use?
Seat post height on the XL and M is no issue at all. The dropper post works well and makes things very easy when transitioning from up hill to down hill.

We had a ride yesterday with a number of technical climbs, lots of roots and broken ground, very steep in some places too, and both bikes climbed very well. The wife did push up a few spots but that was just a confidence thing, her e+3 would have made it up without issue if she had kept up her cadence.

I was very impressed though, that was the first time we had properly tested the bikes and other than a slight rub on the front disk of the e+3 (just needs a bit of adjustment) both bikes performed amazingly well. Really enjoying them

Mesa

Nov 12, 2018
SO Cal
Thanks. Did you have any pedal strikes?
I am heavy 225 and am wondering about shorter cranks and faster cadence that that results in.
I am even looking at the Norco Sight VLT in a large size because of more upright seat post or get the medium Giant orange bike you are shredding with a riser bar stem upgrade you already informed us about. The Specialized LEVO large seemed too slacked out and non intuitive for a newbie like me. The Giant I could ride and start cranking around on immediately. Next week i found a shop 1.5 hours from me to try the medium and large Trance pro+1 and Pro+2. I am leaning that way... I like the integrated yamaha motor. But that almost out 2019 model Norco looks more of what am used to - upright. Especially compared to the luxury liner, downhiller with stability, Specialized.

here are the Norco 3 Sight VLT models:
Choose your language and region | Norco Bicycles

DarkBlueSheep

Oct 31, 2018
Brisbane
The crank length hasn't been an issue yet, it was in the back of my mind yesterday but I'm pleased to say the only thing my peddal hit was a stick poking out from a bush at about shin height that I didn't see. I am pretty light for my height though (80kg/6"5) so that might be a benefit?

I have rolled the handle bars back a bit and that has helped to raise the bars slightly, I'm going to ride with them like this for a bit and then decide if I want to spend the money on some tall bars/stem.

I have put an order in for an SQ Labs saddle though as I need to use the bike for commuting and my butt is sore! - 60X saddle - SQlab GmbH

Those Norco's look nice, seems like a similar spec to the Giants but maybe a bit more expensive? I would like to try one. The seat post seems to lean backwards a fair bit which is interesting

Shane

Sep 16, 2018
Adelaide
At 5’11” you could definitely go for either the medium or the large. Giant’s sizing puts you in the Medium category, but it seems to me that a lot of people like to size up. Personally at 5’11 I think medium is perfect for me.

Seat post height is no issue. The dropper is a good one (nothing like the command post on the Levo, absolutely hated that when I tried it) so plenty of adjustment and range. Did a fair but if climbing yesterday and it was great.

Reach is probably the only thing where I feel maybe the large would be better. Ultimately though I prefer the easier to handle, more nimble and ‘light’ feel of the medium compared to the large (especially for wheel lifts) and have just put the seat back a bit to extend the reach. Could always get a longer stem if it starts to really bother me but I don’t think it will.

Mesa

Nov 12, 2018
SO Cal
I like your inputs. I am 90% ready for ordering the +1` pro, in medium for tighter turns... test drive next week.

As far as those high tech seats from SQlabs. I want to order one but the German website didn't offer any CA dealers. So I put an email towards an Illinois (USA DISTRIBUTOR) contact.
Where do you get fitted, and or order from?

Shane

Sep 16, 2018
Adelaide
I’ve hit my cranks only once with this bike, but there are some pretty gnarly rock gardens at some of the places I ride. If you’ve got your foot in anything other than the perfect position, then you’re gonna hit no matter the length. I wouldn’t replace them out of the box unless it becomes an issue.

As for cadence, I reckon that with the motor you’re gonna have a higher cadence anyway a lot of the time, depending on how you use your gears and the assist.

Go for it if you want but again I’d say see how you like the stock setup first before opening your wallet for potentially no reason.

Oh! And as for the Norco, that came out I think the day after I bought my Giant. Haven’t ridden one, don’t want to. If it’s good, frankly I don’t wanna know about it, I’ve made my choice :p

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
That fixed battery on the Norco is going to discount it for a lot of riders. It basically means you have to have power where you store it; in my eyes that’s a poor design choice.

Mesa

Nov 12, 2018
SO Cal
Well I have favorable news about the orange +1. it rips for me in a medium. The large had a little too much wheel out front. At 5'11" my new +1, in a medium, is super maneuverable. I have only had it a few days, as they are hard to get in Santa Barbara. The large didn't fit and reordering a medium took 3 weeks and a lot of hustling. Now I am finally smiling around my trails and roads. The seat stem, I need to figure out some additional height. Need to learn the adjustability of the post for climbing. Currently it is a couple inches too low for that 12th gear, I have rarely been in. I am also thinking about further dialing in my cockpit arm length. The shop has ordered a 31.8 riser bar setup. This 50lb Giant bike has some torque, even with my large payload. It even rides fine without assist. The learning curve is pretty easy. I am thinking of taking a 1/2" off the 800 bars. Just so it fits in my Chevy Equinox easier and I am old school for handle bars. Truly impressed with this wholy new capability and fun factor!

P1040231.JPG

Last edited:

DarkBlueSheep

Oct 31, 2018
Brisbane
@DarkBlueSheep, hey mate, how have you found the 60X seat? Have you had a chance to test it out?
Yeah had the seat on for a few weeks now. To me it makes a big difference, the standard seat on my 36km round trip commute left me in agony! But this new seat is completely different, I get a very slight ache now but thats just my butt getting used to riding again. I can easily ride to work and back all week now, but before I couldn't do more than 2 days in a row.

I liked it so much I bought the same seat for my wife's E+3.

RobNevyn

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Nov 19, 2018
Central Coast NSW Australia
Yeah had the seat on for a few weeks now. To me it makes a big difference, the standard seat on my 36km round trip commute left me in agony! But this new seat is completely different, I get a very slight ache now but thats just my butt getting used to riding again. I can easily ride to work and back all week now, but before I couldn't do more than 2 days in a row.

I liked it so much I bought the same seat for my wife's E+3.

Good to know, thank mate. Seems to be hard to find one in Oz at the moment. Will keep looking.

RobNevyn

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Nov 19, 2018
Central Coast NSW Australia
It took me a while to track one down but I got it from here in the end - http://www.eightyonespices.com.au

I also got some 45mm SQLabs riser handle bars, and a new stem to match. I'm 6"5 so the standard bars were a bit low for me.

Cheers for that, will check them out.
I have been thinking getting carbon risers myself, 30 to 40mm. I find the bars a little low as well.

DarkBlueSheep

Oct 31, 2018
Brisbane
Cheers for that, will check them out.
I have been thinking getting carbon risers myself, 30 to 40mm. I find the bars a little low as well.
Yeah I got the SQLabs bars and stem from them too, if you do change your bars be aware of the stem size too, I had to replace both. They sent me an SQlabs shirt and cap too which was a nice touch :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles