Flat Pedal Shoes

Jan 5, 2023
Greer Ranch
What is everyone riding? I'm currently on the 5Ten Sleuths and have a pair of free rider pros but I'm eyeballing these Scott Sport Volts. I'm really interested in these..
I also was looking at the Crank Bros Stamp Boa (White with black splatter)
Anyone have any feedback? Compared to the 5Tens as they are pretty much the industry standard flat. Odd enough the Sleuths have less grip than the freerider pros, likely due to the less stiff sole.. which I kind of like unless you're going through chatter.

Spangoolies

Nov 5, 2022
UK
Not sure if they are different on the boa but my stamp lace shoes have very uncomfortable rubber dots on the back to help grip your heel. I found them crippling after a while and spent a long time trying to cut them off without damaging the fabric. They are good for wide feet and the size is pretty accurate so no need to size up or down. Grip wise they are ok but as a whole my 5.10 freerider pros are more grippy and a lot more comfortable.

Jan 5, 2023
Greer Ranch
I haven't heard or seen any reviews on the Scott shoes and I've scrubbed forums and websites looking for them. Everything they make is quality but shoes are a whole different beast. Hopefully someone has some time in them. They definitely look good...

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
5-10s...............originally made by 5-10, now Adidas..........both shoes designers/manufacturers. Scott? Stamp? Crank Bros...........shoe designers/manufacturers or brands?............. just sub contracted to someone?
5.10 Pro or Freeride always do the job.

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
In summer I use Specialized 2FO Roost Flat shoes which fit my feet better than my Five Ten Freerider Pro's which now sit in the cupboard unused.

In winter I use Five Ten Freerider EPS Primaloft mid boots which with merino socks are really comfortable and warm.

Downhillr

Jul 2, 2021
SF Bay, California
Ride concept usually has really good sales and I have a couple pare of their shoes. They’re similar to 510 but have lasted me longer. The bottoms are like walking with sticky paper. I like the BOA ones because it’s faster on and off.

Just make sure to find ones that fit best. Not cramped but not lose.
I too use RC shoes, I believe these guys came from 5-10 after Adidas bought 5-10 and durability dropped off. My Hellion Elite are hard to kill and the new Tallac are a little more breathable have a bit more hike friendly sole pattern when needed and the lace-up fit more secure than BOA (which I returned) did.

Jan 5, 2023
Greer Ranch
Yeah I'm always happy with my FiveTens. They don't offer a boa flat though. If they made the Kestrel Boa Pro exactly how it is but a flat I'd 3 pairs of them in different colors lol.
Kestrel_Pro_2.jpg
Kestrel_Pro_2.jpg
s1600_Five_Ten_Kestrel_Pro_Boa_Shoes_13A.jpg
217727061a7524f7d5292.94847700.jpg
adidas_five_ten_kestrel_white_new_600.jpg

Hanzzzie

Sep 4, 2021
Belgium
looking for good recommendations of winter shoes for flat pedals since my toes allmost froze off yesterday with only 0c in my Specialized flat pedal shoes :D

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
I had some scotts, terrible on the bike but fine for casual walking around.
I Have some Endura ones that are very comfy in the dry and casual riding.
1675077035616.png

More aggressive trail riding I have the 5:10's trailcross (2 pairs, one for dry and the GoreTex for wet weather riding) Same level of grip as the Freeriders. The Sleuths I had were shocking on the bike, No idea what I did with them??? Must be in the cave somewhere?

1675077196962.png

B1rdie

Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
they call it five tens, they weigh five kilos when dry and ten kilos when wet.
Shimano flat pedal shoes are the best IMHO because they are light and comfy, they have a firm plastic platform inside and a decent rubber outsole.
the ET5(ET500) worth $83,38 and the GR9(GR903) comes with BOA closures for $113,68 on ebay
Pick your choice of socks...

Expidia

Subscriber
Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
looking for good recommendations of winter shoes for flat pedals since my toes allmost froze off yesterday with only 0c in my Specialized flat pedal shoes :D
I had the same issue. As soon as the temps dropped below like 43 degrees in my area, my toes and fingers were freezing. So I ordered new gloves and on Ebay I ordered these 510 Freeriders flat pedal boots. Extremely comfortable. I'm a 9.5, so I found their sizing accurate. I'm still waiting for temps to rise above freezing in order to get to try them out (I won't bike with any ice on the ground) . They were recommended highly in various threads and reviews. Their use of Primaloft for added warmth was the selling point for me.

Screen Shot 2023-01-30 at 10.45.02 AM.png Screen Shot 2023-01-30 at 10.45.29 AM.png

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
I had the same issue. As soon as the temps dropped below like 43 degrees in my area, my toes and fingers were freezing. So I ordered new gloves and on Ebay I ordered these 510 Freeriders flat pedal boots. Extremely comfortable. I'm a 9.5, so I found their sizing accurate. I'm still waiting for temps to rise above freezing in order to get to try them out (I won't bike with any ice on the ground) . They were recommended highly in various threads and reviews. Their use of Primaloft for added warmth was the selling point for me.

View attachment 105574 View attachment 105575
That's exactly what I wear in winter with Merino socks, I'm a (UK) 10.5 and agree that the sizing is accurate. They're not completely waterproof but pretty good, I frequently spray mine with water proofing spray. Recommended.

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
Last ride my toes allmost froze off with the 510 sleuth dlx with thermal socks
Anyone have both the sleuth dlx and freerider eps? Are the freerider eps that much better? I don't care for fully waterproof as I don't ride when it's super wet. But I do care for its warmth.

Tonytank

Jun 5, 2019
London
I wear specialized 2fo but with them i wear bridgedale winter waterproof socks and vaude bike gaiters, i may not look stylish but my feet stay dry and warm even on the coldest wettest days. Any fool can be cold and uncomfortable as any old tank crewman knows!

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Any flat pedal shoe with perforations.............designed to increase airflow and keep your feet cool!!............are obviously useless if you want warmth!! So that also includes any shoe with a fabric type upper, which is the majority of them. Leather is the obvious answer. I use 5-10 EPS boots which must be a bout 4 years old now so not sure if the latest versions are the same. I treat the upper with wax so they are totally waterproof. Because on the bike your feet mostly just act as supports as oppsed to being flexed like when you walk, blood flow is not encouraged. So making sure your feet are really warm before riding is important. I use Hot Hands footpads to do that ..............I leave them on once riding but they really need to be a gitated to keep working so not great once on the bike. If it is really cold ( and wet) I use neoprene shoe covers as well. They are pretty cheap.............I use Madison thermal ones. The trick with virtually any shoe cover is to get a size at least one a bove your shoe size...if not 2....especially if they are to be worn over 5-10s which are pretty bulky. Mt 5-10s are size 45 and the covers are xxl.

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Last ride my toes allmost froze off with the 510 sleuth dlx with thermal socks
Anyone have both the sleuth dlx and freerider eps? Are the freerider eps that much better? I don't care for fully waterproof as I don't ride when it's super wet. But I do care for its warmth.
What @Expedia and I said above: 510 Primaloft mid boots

Expidia

Subscriber
Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
What @Expedia and I said above: 510 Primaloft mid boots
Irie, good point on the waterproofing. I did not think of that even though I'm not a wet rider. So I have the 510 winter boots and I also bought a pair of Crank Brothers Stamp BOA Flats for the rest of the year.
I have in stock these two leather treatments pictured. One is a cream made for leather boots and shoes the other is a spray water proofer.

I'm leaning towards the cream as it seems it would be a better leather conditioner too.

What say you?

IMG_9013.jpeg IMG_9014.jpeg

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
I'm currently rockin' two pairs of shoes. I don't NEED two pairs, but... you know... it's bike stuff.

5.10 Trailcross: The best feature of these shoes is the Stealth rubber. It sticks like no other, but it wears quickly. The shoes have a "casual" fit that is comfortable. The shoes are airy and keep your feel cool in summer. The weak point of these shoes is the minimalistic toe cap. For this, I won't wear these shoes on a serious ride where there is a risk of bashing my toes into rocks, trees, or hippie environmentalists.

Shimano GR903: These shoes fit my feet and are supportive all the way around. The toe cap is robust, offering reasonable protection. The Ultread rubber wears well, and while the grip is not as sticky as Stealth rubber, Ultread allows easier repositioning on the pedal. The shoes lace up precisely. The really cool feature is the gaiter around the ankle which keeps out pebbles and dirt.

Overall, the GR903 is a better shoe. The Trailcross is more of a lightweight. Both have their place, but when it comes time to throw down a wad of cash on my next shoes, they'll be Shimano GR903's.

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Irie, good point on the waterproofing. I did not think of that even though I'm not a wet rider. So I have the 510 winter boots and I also bought a pair of Crank Brothers Stamp BOA Flats for the rest of the year.
I have in stock these two leather treatments pictured. One is a cream made for leather boots and shoes the other is a spray water proofer.

I'm leaning towards the cream as it seems it would be a better leather conditioner too.

What say you?

View attachment 105591 View attachment 105592
I would use the latter which looks to have exactly the same function as 3M Scotchgard*. Everyone seems to sell the same stuff for shoes, furniture fabrics, clothing, ... (The leather conditioner will almost certainly be bees wax).

* the invention of Scotchgard is a very interesting story.

B1rdie

Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
I have been shopping five ten shoes in many different places: The first, in California, then one more in Santiago, Chile, while in Barcelona I did it again and finally in Andorra. I guess I have spent more than a thousand dollars with five ten shoes over the last ten years, some of them failed catastrophically, the outsole with their praised rubber simply unbonded, some did not fit well after some time (I guess they schrink or the insulation expands?!?). Two five ten shoes (impact pro) are still in good shape, aging in the closet... I will pick the shimano over them on any situation, cold or hot, rain or dry, XC or DH.

Expidia

Subscriber
Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
I would use the latter which looks to have exactly the same function as 3M Scotchgard*. Everyone seems to sell the same stuff for shoes, furniture fabrics, clothing, ... (The leather conditioner will almost certainly be bees wax).

* the invention of Scotchgard is a very interesting story.
Thanks Irie, that "was" an interesting story of how Scotch Guard was invented: Patsy Sherman: Scotchgard™ Inventor

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles