EMTB, a way to make flat trails exciting?

MTB565

Mar 22, 2020
Sweden
Riding MTB since 2015, I like fast and technical trail/enduro riding but live in an area which is mostly flat and dominated by XC/gravel cyclist (i.e. no exciting trail building).

Is a emtb enough to make flat trails into downhills? Or at least exciting? I'm also considering it as a way to bike on less traveled trails (not hardpacked) which is slow on a MTB.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
i.e. no exciting trail building

Can you make some more exciting trails ? Little cut offs to the sides ? I have lots of uphills which I find really exciting in turbo, so maybe something which goes down but not much, could be interesting going up as fast as possible ??

MTB565

Mar 22, 2020
Sweden
No the answer is YES mate,

Nah. You seem to have missed mine.

mibbie put the effort in then, eh?

Now you lost me, but as you probably can tell english is not my naitive language.
I really dont want to argue over this but to clarify some things. I dont know why you assume I dont already do these things to spice up the ride. And I do build trails, and have been during the last 3 years, I just didnt think I had to include this information just to ask the question. However recently disforestation destroyed large parts of the trails and since I'm basically the only one left building and maintaining it, I'm not sure if I have the motivation right now to restore it. If you build trails you know how massive the work can be, especially if you have to do it alone progress is SLOW.

Sorry if any of this come off as arrogant.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
No it's cool. I don't find you arrogant at all but i still think every ride is what YOU (the rider) makes of it.
I'll quite happily go out and have fun on the street on my BMX though.
Emtbs can often be LESS fun then normal bikes

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Riding MTB since 2015, I like fast and technical trail/enduro riding but live in an area which is mostly flat and dominated by XC/gravel cyclist (i.e. no exciting trail building).

Is a emtb enough to make flat trails into downhills? Or at least exciting? I'm also considering it as a way to bike on less traveled trails (not hardpacked) which is slow on a MTB.
I've never been on any true downhill trails, so I'd be telling a lie if I said yes to your first question, but I'm definitely riding my emtb on soft sticky stuff and enjoying it.

I gave up bicycles, except as a training tool for a short spell in the 90's, in favor of offroad motorcycling. Now, in my 50's, I find emtb's to be loads of fun, and exciting enough that I sold my latest motorcycle without regret.

MTB565

Mar 22, 2020
Sweden
No it's cool. I don't find you arrogant at all but i still think every ride is what YOU (the rider) makes of it.
I'll quite happily go out and have fun on the street on my BMX though.
Emtbs can often be LESS fun then normal bikes

Yeah I am starting to revise how I initially thought about using the ebike. Been hiking some woods recently and found some new possible riding areas, though i have not tried yet it seem pretty impossible or at least very cumbersome to acess on my non-assisted trailbike (i.e. no trails or trails with very little use). With no eMTB riding experince I imagine an assisted ride will help to acess these areas on bike instead of pushing my trail bike.

I'm definitely riding my emtb on soft sticky stuff and enjoying it.

Sounds good! :D

Still struggling with the price tags in these things though...

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
6.2 kW makes any trail exciting to me but so does 0 kW.
646FFBED-D22E-4F15-BC05-99EE91E5DCA4.jpeg

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I imagine an assisted ride will help to acess these areas on bike instead of pushing my trail bike.
TBH there isn't a climb I've done yet in 2 years of emtb riding I couldn't do on my normal mtb.
The Emtb just takes out the effort.
Even the steepest climbs I've ever done aren't any steeper than what i've climbed on a normal mtb. The Emtb just allows you to sustain the effort longer. it's generally grip that makes most difference to actually climbing tougher terrain. And I don't run higher grip tyres on my Emtb to my normal bikes.

Saying that, you're not wrong about emtbs being a brilliant tool for accessing more difficult to get to trails, they also raise motivation to take tools out trail building.

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I think what we really need to ask ourselves. Are normal modern MTB's just getting too fast without cumbersome motors and batteries to slow them down ...

fast.jpg

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I'm now sat here in isolation with thoughts quite a bit more excitng than riding a bike.
thanks for that. :unsure:

I also think I now see what all the bathroom tissue panic buying was really all about :sneaky:

Janc

Oct 22, 2019
Dorset

Local to me are some fairly flat single track trails. The EMTB has doubled the fun ones by making the gentle uphills fast and more challenging. I am definitely having lots more fun on previously mediocre trails. And when you do get to trails with hills, or even road hills :)

MTB565

Mar 22, 2020
Sweden
Local to me are some fairly flat single track trails. The EMTB has doubled the fun ones by making the gentle uphills fast and more challenging. I am definitely having lots more fun on previously mediocre trails. And when you do get to trails with hills, or even road hills :)

That sounds awsome! I'm closing in on wich bike to chose right now, but might have to hold off a little to see how/if Covid-19 affects the work situation for me.

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
you find yourself going further and for longer. You will ride up hills, just to see whats up the top. A fun section, you will turn round and loop a few times.

I've just been out on a "normal" MTB. I stopped to see if the brake was stuck on! bloody hard work, and not much fun I'm afraid.

Alan W

Apr 20, 2019
Dorset England

In my opinion an emtbs can really spice up an otherwise boring trail, for me they have made the older trail centre trails fun again ?
Although you will hit the speed limiter on straighter, easier sections, however twisties are awesome .

Janc

Oct 22, 2019
Dorset
That sounds awsome! I'm closing in on wich bike to chose right now, but might have to hold off a little to see how/if Covid-19 affects the work situation for me.
Plenty of EMTB recommendations on these threads - seems most people love their EMTBs.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
In my opinion an emtbs can really spice up an otherwise boring trail, for me they have made the older trail centre trails fun again ?
Although you will hit the speed limiter on straighter, easier sections, however twisties are awesome .
Yeah. It really depends on the trails a lot of longer flatter blue/red descents are actually less fun on a heavy emtb limited to 15mph. This will also depend massively on your fitness and skill level tho. But I know I'm no faster on any actual descent on my 170mm Emtb comparing times to my 170mm Enduro bike.
Flatter trails (being hard pack) can be slower on the Eeb. While any descent with rises or short climbs in the middle the Eeb has a big advantage.
But like I say. Depends on the trail/trail centre. Still fun but I honestly prefer normal bikes most places except climbing or hard going Softer natural XC terrain.
De-restriction helps bridge the gap.. Controversy aside.
20mph limit off road, 28mph on road would be the ideal compromise IMO

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles