Survey: does the emtb make you a more adventurous rider

Survey: does the emtb make you a more adventurous rider

• Yes, changing to emtb made me do more technical downhill and uphill, bigger jumps and rougher trail

Votes: 121 81.8%
  • No, changing to emtb has not changed my riding style.

Votes: 27 18.2%

• Total voters

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK

I don't think the Emtb has helped me with progression at all but it did need an adjustment (my riding style and the bike) to allow me to get the thing to ride like a non-Ebike. I do really enjoy learning/re-learning technique, skills and subtlties and transferring them to different bikes. alway have.

This. :):)

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
I'm not sure where I sit on this.

The ebike means I ride more often, get more laps in, am happier to session a trail and an less exhausted when I drop in. All of those things mean my riding is improving, but none are directly related to it being an ebike I think, if I was riding this many lift assisted Park miles, the same would probably be true.

I have definitely been riding harder stuff since I got my kenevo, but I don't think it's the hardest stuff I've ridden, or stuff I wouldn't necessarily have ridden on my tracer. Is there a middle option?

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
If anything, I'm MORE conservative downhill on the heavier ebike - especially when I factor in it has better suspension / tyres / brakes AND I'm riding more. I just don't have the confidence that I can flick the bike back or recover from an oops moment, so I'm braking earlier ( then powering out harder) , I'm concentrating a LOT more on my Ines, and I'm less incluned to move the bike around whilst airborne.

Uphill....it's a game changer. Give me a nice technical uphill trail and I'll attack things with a grin. I took an uphill jump yesterday that my daughter was pushing her bike around.....and I'm playing with uphill techniques I'd never try on the oldbike. Somehow, flipping the bike backwards seems less scary than going over the bars.....

So definitely buy a higher spec ebike than you think is necessary, but that's just to compensate for the increased weight and uphill speeds.

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
No, no change at all. I've just got more in the tank. So I hit every downhill like it's the first. After 1 or 20 miles. It didn't make me grow a set.

Mabman

Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
It does for me for sure as when I am out exploring I am more apt to go down a trail and not worry about whether or not I will have to back track out, be it uphill or dh.

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
I said yes, but really I have no idea. I do know I’m riding more often and riding more kms than I would on an accoustic. So by default I’m getting more experience. I just wouldn’t be as keen on riding as often as I do on a non eBike. As I return to fitness I think the eBike is allowing me to ride harder rather than struggle for breath. If i was super fit I’d probably go as hard on an accoustic. But I’m not.

I’m also coming into corners much much faster than I would/could on a regular bike. I supppose that means I’m going harder because I need to be better just because of the extra speed. I am riding as hard as I can most of the time and because I’m not exhausted from every climb I have more energy to throw into the downhill parts. I have found that I’m far more interested in getting better now than I thought I would be when I bought the bike. Originally I was just going to find flow trails. Now I’m looking for variety and new places to ride. I’ve caught myself watching youtube videos on technique and I’m even considering some tuition.

And if the size and frequency of crashes is any indicator I’m riding the hardest I ever have....

Gordon

More-read-than-ride

Patreon
Jan 3, 2019
Spain
This is obviously too complex to answer with a simple yes or no, but as it has been stated earlier, the discussion is really interesting to people new To emtb because it makes you think further ahead.

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
I'm not riding any harder because I suck but I certainly am doing heaps more km's, riding more frequently and exploring places I never would have thought about doing.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
I have progressed at the same rate as I would of on a non powered bike. I have actually ridden less kilometres on the eMtb than I did on my other Mtb.

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
Interesting reading this as I’m still to buy an eBike.

I’m 33 and have been riding seriously for 3 years. I’m looking at an eBike to cover bigger distances, get more downhill time and enjoy the experience of fast techy ascending. It will also double up as a bike for the Mrs every now and then - sticking her on an eBike down long cyclepaths/fireroads is excellent motivation. Hopefully I’ll use the bike as planned or it will be an expensive ornament.

Keeping the trail bike though, I’m still planning on getting in plenty of conventional riding.

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Yes for me (y)
In my first year on an ebike I tripled the amount of distance travelled compared to the year before on all of my acoustic bikes. More time on the tools in most situations is going to improve your skill set and push you into ‘looking for trouble/new things to try’
I have taken on a new type of riding which I could never do on any of my acoustic bikes. I suppose you could translate that as adventurous?
My new happy places are:
1. Very steep lumpy technical uphill terrain with multiple switchbacks at Turbo mode speed where you are continuously having to keep your weight forward and pedal flat out to keep the momentum going otherwise you stall and loop out.
2. Very tight natural, flowy, rooty forest single track whether it is slightly uphill or flat in Turbo mode. I have had to change my bars back to 750mm as I was clipping trees. The speed you can get up to and sustain on this type of trail was never possible for me on my acoustics.
The above may not be everyone’s cup of tea but it certainly ticks all my boxes ;)

More-read-than-ride

Patreon
Jan 3, 2019
Spain
So, more people have answered the poll and at least from my side the recommendation is clear (everyone is entitled to their own opinion). I have a few scenarios for someone choosing their first ebike:

a. If you are a new or somewhat inexperienced mtb rider or you have done only treks and road and therefore have no riding type or place defined, but like the look of trails, I would go directly to a 130-150mm FS with trail geometry and dropper. Even if you end up only doing treks, the downside on an ebike is almost none and it is more comfortable. The price will be 500-1000€ more than the equivalent hardtail but based on the poll I would spend it right away if you can. Many brands focus on these bikes.

b. If you are a somewhat experienced but with no real technique, riding simpler trails and living near challenging terrain, I would recommend as above due to the expected progression and perhaps even test an enduro geometry bike with +150mm and slacker than 66º.

c. If you are an experienced rider and already know your preferences, then this poll is useless to you because you already know what you want.

I assume experienced riders here will disagree with me. But I think it is because they fall in the c category where everything comes down to personal taste.
My objective here is to help those in doubt make a more lasting choice.

* (I have read in many forums that the best way to really learn pure technique is to use a bike with the least possible "help", so basically a standard hard tail. If you are a purist looking to become elite, that may be the way to go).

Trail Doug

Nov 22, 2018
Wrexham
Voted NO, fall in c. above. I am however adventuring further and to more places on my eMTB than I have done for many a year on any of my normal bikes.

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
in order to progress fast it doesn't actually matter what bike you ride. what matters is that you regularly ride the bike and actively push your progress curve.
What builds that progress curve is repetition and pushing to the next level in whatever it is you're attempting to progress at.
repetition builds muscle memory.
once you have a skill dialled most skills can be transferred from bike to bike pretty quickly.

Take any skill. Say a basic bunyhop. learning the motion and effort to perform the maneouver takes time and practice. Say you learn it on a BMX (no suspension but a very short bike with relatively high bars). Once you've learned it to a level where you can perform it at will without thinking you will be able to perform it on any bike. a large (long) heavy long travel FS Emtb simply takes more effort/input and the timing will be slightly different. anyone with the technique sorted will be able to hop the heavier bike (over twice the weight) instantly. given a few tries and they'll be able to hop it almost as well as their BMX.

Marty

Nov 26, 2018
Salisbury
It does depend on type of riding. I enjoy trail riding including off piste and have definitely become more adventurous because of the extra confidence my Levo gives me. However on the flip side I do like my epic long days out which whist the bike allows you to hold your energy levels for longer it doesn’t allow you to be as adventurous by riding into the unknown and explore simply because of the range anxiety. I don’t have another £750 burning a whole in my pocket for a second battery and even if I did the weight of an extra battery in my backpack defeats the object of exploration and riding free lugging around that uncomfortable extra weight.

JimBo

E*POWAH Elite
Jan 3, 2019
Western MA, USA
If injury and mileage accumulation are indicative of being more adventurous, my answer is a resounding "yes." I've logged more trail miles, bruises etc. in the past 3 years eMTBing than I did in 20+ years MTBing.

I attribute the advent of Open Cycle Maps, Trailforks etc. to my enhanced sense of exploration, though. All my old paper topo maps are useless now!

maw1000

Feb 22, 2019
Fresno CA USA
I’m now riding more because I enjoy riding up the climbs instead of walking up them. Also I’m able to keep up with my much faster friend and I think that’s improving my downhill skills since I can keep up with him going uphill now. We ride downhill together instead of separated because we both get top of the hill at the same time.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
The eBike has certainly made me more adventurous today.

I joined up with a bunch of lads on Rocky Mountain Powerplays today and rode some seriously sketchy stuff that I certainly wouldn't have considered if I'd still been riding alone. Hopefully I'll have a video of me doing a big (for me) drop off later. Bugger all run in and certainly not rollable.

Vilt

Feb 13, 2019
Berg en Terblijt, The Netherlands
Somehow the Levo is more "bike" than my Canyon Neuron. I do downhill stuff with greater confidence at higher speeds than I ever thought possible with that regular bike. (And the kicker is, the engine is totally useless on those downhill sections)

Jonnyf

Mar 3, 2019
East Sussex
YES for me ! As a senior 62 this year rider my turbo levo comp carbon 2019 has re kindled interest in riding, I'm interested in cross country /tracks / keeping off road wherever possible. With the emtb I can ride places, terrains, and distances I would previously dreamed of. On collecting the bike in Feb we went riding on the South Downs in the snow, wouldn't of dreamed of this on a traditional bike. Just need to convince my riding partners to part with the cash !!!!! Certainly has transformed mtb'ing for me ... Just hope the technology doesn't disappoint in the future!

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
Having an ebike has definitely made me more adventurous in that I can explore a path and if it leads nowhere it’s no big deal to ride back up or I’ve not wasted loads of energy if it goes nowhere and have to ride back down. I’ve found quite a few good new rides on my ebike. As to travel/geometry etc, I ride a Kenevo and the bike gives me the confidence to follow my son and his friends (who are all good riders who will tackle World Cup runs in the Alps where we live) down some pretty technical stuff. At my age (63) I need all the help I can get and the long travel and slack geometry have saved my bacon when I’ve messed up a jump! I would also echo those that say that the amount one can do is bound to lead to improvement. Over the last couple of weeks I’ve done about 150k and 8000m of descent, nearly all off-road and mainly quite technical. I’d never have the fitness or the motivation to do so much on a conventional bike.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
After having a few bad involuntary dismounts recently while trying to climb stuff that I would not have attempted on my clockwork bike, I went back to change my vote from no to yes. But after reading the statements again, I stuck with "No changing to an emtb has not changed my riding style", because it hasn't.

Of the "Yes, changing to emtb made me do more technical downhill and uphill, bigger jumps and rougher trail" I have to still disagree with that. It hasn't made me do anything, but the power of "e" encouraged me to have a go at steeper climbs (didn't go well). What it has done is what @Swissrider said: "Having an ebike has definitely made me more adventurous in that I can explore a path and if it leads nowhere it’s no big deal to ride back up or I’ve not wasted loads of energy if it goes nowhere and have to ride back down." Now my knees don't hurt any more, I can ride where and as far as I like without being concerned about the consequences.:)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles