Ebike Garmin apps ~ UPDATE: new multi battery support

JanCapek

Aug 16, 2018
Czech Republic
Yep it is correct. Based on current info, extender battery is reported on different place which Ebike Field currently doesn't read. Didn't have time to analyse this more yet, but it will for sure be possible to make it work also, so keep me finger crossed. :)

ImSundee

Jan 20, 2020
Oxford
Raised this with Jan via email but anyone else had problem with the nerd style one showing the wrong distance covered?

D

Deleted member 4988

Jesus ! I've got a Viv 4 and can't for the hell of me get the bugger to work :mad:

Vin829

Feb 18, 2020
California, USA
Yes Ive noticed the range extender on the SL not reading. I will keep watching for an update. I love having the info on my Garmin and not my gigantic phone on the bars..I crash a lot

hbakken

Nov 27, 2018
Norway
Ebike field works perfect on our Garmin edge 1000 with 2 Levo SL. I used the App management section under Garmin connect to set the battery ID to zero. Garmin found new bike and reports battery and field level.

Hi.

I got an SL and a Levo. Ebike field works great with my Levo (also installed a new battery yesterday and worked immediately). Edge 1000 computer.

But, is it possible to also get the SL connected? Only use one bike at the time of course..
Or do I need to setting the ID to zero and reconnect to a "new" bike every time I swap bikes?

Jilleride45

Nov 2, 2018
USA
Ebike field works perfect on our Garmin edge 1000 with 2 Levo SL. I used the App management section under Garmin connect to set the battery ID to zero. Garmin found new bike and reports battery and field level.

Hi.

I got an SL and a Levo. Ebike field works great with my Levo (also installed a new battery yesterday and worked immediately). Edge 1000 computer.

But, is it possible to also get the SL connected? Only use one bike at the time of course..
Or do I need to setting the ID to zero and reconnect to a "new" bike every time I swap bikes?

You will just need to set it up once. The app stores one battery in the main section and the other below in a separate field. I find that the one that is stored in the lower section takes a few extra seconds to pair but always does.

Perky 77

Apr 26, 2020
Coventry
Hi @JanCapek Have a Garmin 520p and been using the ebike data field app to show battery level and assist mode. Was working ok until today. Doesn’t come on when bike is turned on, turn battery off/on then comes on briefly before turning off and then shows 3 dashed lines on display. Any ideas please?
3E831CA7-FF00-45AD-8F54-51DF5477DDD7.jpeg

Last edited:

Vin829

Feb 18, 2020
California, USA
Yep it is correct. Based on current info, extender battery is reported on different place which Ebike Field currently doesn't read. Didn't have time to analyse this more yet, but it will for sure be possible to make it work also, so keep me finger crossed. :)
Has this been figured out yet for the Levo SL? Anyway of the main battery and extender being read?

hbakken

Nov 27, 2018
Norway
You will just need to set it up once. The app stores one battery in the main section and the other below in a separate field. I find that the one that is stored in the lower section takes a few extra seconds to pair but always does.

Have been successful set up bike nr 2 (the SL), but after that it's not very stabile. It actually connects to other bikes around when out riding with other buddies.

Two cases
1) I connect it to one of the two paired bikes first. (bike1), If my son are riding bike 2, several times during av ride, the field drop out and connect to bike 2.

2) Connected to my bike 1, and during a ride it connects to my friends bike which I'never paired with e-bike field.

Any tips?

In the fields in Garmin app I've only one bike code in each field

Ram.82

May 10, 2020
Italy
Hello everyone! I have a turboclebo comp 2018 and danieri a garmin 830. until the other day I used an edge 1000 explore with iq "Specialized" and I only found the cadence and power sensors. Now instead the edge 830 finds as sensors "speed", "power" and a tall sensor called "specialozed" that I don't know what it is. then it is normal that using the speed sensor when I stop it still indicates speed of 5 or 7 km / h for a few seconds? Thank you all!

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
Hi Jan,
After updating my Garmin Edge 830 to firmware 5.50, ebike field isnt working anymore.

Do you know if there is a problem with the latest Garmin firmware?

Cheers

EDIT - Found out how to fix it. Its yet another Garmin firmware bug. If I load Ebike Field using the Garmin Connect iPhone app, it doesn't register the bike properly under firmware 5.50 (works fine on 5.10). There is another bug which is when you try to remove the app using Garmin Connect it just moans about not being able to uninstall and doesnt do it.

I needed to:
1. Using Garmin Express on my Mac to remove the app completely
2. Reboot the device properly (not sleep cycle)
3. Install Ebike Field using Garmin Express and immediately enter the premium code before connecting to the bike (if it connects to the bike first it doesnt work)
4. Reboot the device properly (not sleep cycle)
5. Turn on the bike and let it connect

Last edited:

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
Hello everyone! I have a turboclebo comp 2018 and danieri a garmin 830. until the other day I used an edge 1000 explore with iq "Specialized" and I only found the cadence and power sensors. Now instead the edge 830 finds as sensors "speed", "power" and a tall sensor called "specialozed" that I don't know what it is. then it is normal that using the speed sensor when I stop it still indicates speed of 5 or 7 km / h for a few seconds? Thank you all!

Mine has the following sensors appear on my 830:
1. Ebike
2. Speed / Cadence
3. Power

(1) used to be called 'Specialized' but since firmware 5.10 Garmin appear to have renamed it to 'EBike'. (1) doesn't work properly after updating to Garmin firmware 5.50 - the battery % isn't reported anymore, but EBike Field (Data field app) see's it correctly so its clearly a bug with Garmin.

If I enable (2), the Garmin goes mental during any ride. It keep auto pausing, stating the wrong speed, stops when I'm riding, starts when I'm stopped etc. Its a mess.

I ended up using my Garmin hub speed sensor which came with the MTB Bundle and disabling (2) - this method works perfectly for correct speed measurement. For some reason it still captures Cadence (not estimating, actually capturing) so goodness knows which sensor is reporting that as the Cadence sensor is disabled!

Thanassis

Jun 17, 2020
Athens, Greece
@dan3344 good point. At the time I had the PWX it did not transmit any other data then power, cadence and speed, and that were the only ones I captured with my Garmin (without IQapp). The battery juice left was displayed as bar on the build in Yamaha display (integrated in ahead)
or you could select it to be displayed as number in die second row (instead of ODO,...)
Hello Thomas, i have a Haibike 2019 with Yamaha PW-X system, 250W motor. Do you believe that i'll be able to see power, cadence and speed in the Garmin Edge 830 ? Do i need any Garmin app in order to display this data, or they will be displayed automatically when Garmin Edge 830 will be connected automatically to Yamaha PW-X motor?

Thanks a lot!

Cavi

Jun 15, 2020
California, usa
I may have made a mistake. I just bought a Levo, and saw your app and jumped on a Garmin Edge explore 820. It is listed as a compatible device, but now that I look at it I notice that it does not do ANT+. Is it going to work? What data will I be able to see?

McInner1

Subscriber
Jun 8, 2019
Austria
I just bought a Levo, and saw your app and jumped on a Garmin Edge explore 820.
Your Edge has ANT+ ! And Jan Capeks IQ app works via ANT+.
So it should work (showing battery and support).
Alternatively you can see if your Edge has ebike sensor possibility (I don‘t know)
Edge 820 Explore cannot display power, cannot connect to a power sensor.
You‘ll see your Levo as Speed&Cadence sensor only!

Last edited:

McInner1

Subscriber
Jun 8, 2019
Austria
For some reason it still captures Cadence (not estimating, actually capturing) so goodness knows which sensor is reporting that as the Cadence sensor is disabled!
It comes from power sensor. He reports both, power and cadence!

Cavi

Jun 15, 2020
California, usa
Ok, in theory I downloaded the app to the Garmin, I do not get the bike until Thurs. How do I pair the edge with the bike? Then how do I run the app on the Edge, I did not see it on the edge?

McInner1

Subscriber
Jun 8, 2019
Austria
Ok, in theory I downloaded the app to the Garmin, I do not get the bike until Thurs. How do I pair the edge with the bike? Then how do I run the app on the Edge, I did not see it on the edge?
I assume we are speaking about ebike field from Jan Capek

It is not an app but a datafield. If you have downloaded it from the IQ store and it was installed on your device you have to set it on one of your datascreens like any other datafield.
Press and hold the desired field where you want to set it on until the field gets a black border. Tap and a list opens. Scroll down to the group of IQ datafields. Go in and chose ebike field.
To pair the field simply hold your Edge near the turned on Levo.

Cavi

Jun 15, 2020
California, usa
thank you. I am however going to return the explore 820 and buy a edge 1030, I really want the larger display and sd card slot so I can upload my topo maps

Cavi

Jun 15, 2020
California, usa
I assume we are speaking about ebike field from Jan Capek

It is not an app but a datafield. If you have downloaded it from the IQ store and it was installed on your device you have to set it on one of your datascreens like any other datafield.
Press and hold the desired field where you want to set it on until the field gets a black border. Tap and a list opens. Scroll down to the group of IQ datafields. Go in and chose ebike field.
To pair the field simply hold your Edge near the turned on Levo.
Ok, got it set, So it is only one data field? When I set it in the menu it says it will give me two data items, Battery and power mode, I take it they will appear side by side in the data field I choose? Also, any idea what I need for my Garmin to display Cadance?

McInner1

Subscriber
Jun 8, 2019
Austria
Ok, do I do that in the garmin connect or on the edge? Do I have to download an app from Garmin for that?
It‘s a simple job on your Edge - nothing else needed:
1 Bring the device (Edge) within 3 m (10 ft.) of the sensor (Levo).
NOTE: Stay 10 m (33 ft.) away from other riders' ANT+ sensors while pairing.
2 Select Menu > Settings > Sensors > Add Sensor.
3 Select an option: Power
4 Levo will be found.
5 Select Add Sensor.
When the sensor (Levo) is paired with your device, the sensor status is Connected.
You can customize a data field to display power.

see Page 16

Last edited:

Cavi

Jun 15, 2020
California, usa
It‘s a simple job on your Edge - nothing else needed:
1 Bring the device (Edge) within 3 m (10 ft.) of the sensor (Levo).
NOTE: Stay 10 m (33 ft.) away from other riders' ANT+ sensors while pairing.
2 Select Menu > Settings > Sensors > Add Sensor.
3 Select an option: Power
4 Levo will be found.
5 Select Add Sensor.
When the sensor (Levo) is paired with your device, the sensor status is Connected.
You can customize a data field to display power.

see Page 16
How about for cadence? Same?

Frax

Jun 16, 2020
UK, Reading
Anyone having issues with distance?

used the data field on Sunday for the first time and it appeared to record 10 miles further than anyone else in the group. Another guy using the data field recorded 12 miles less than anyone else. Tonight’s ride came up 24 miles short??

I run the data field With my Fenix 5 watch as well as connecting the power and cadence sensors on the bike.

Any help appreciated.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles