Drink Riding

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
Can you get done for drink riding on your e-bike in the UK and lose your license?
I ask because on a cop show this week I'm sure I saw two drunk e-scooter riders get arrested and have their licenses taken away.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Can you get done for drink riding on your e-bike in the UK and lose your license?
I ask because on a cop show this week I'm sure I saw two drunk e-scooter riders get arrested and have their licenses taken away.
Remember my brother in law getting done for drunk in charge of a bike many moons ago . He never had a licence but never got banned. Hard one to answer.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK

The maximum penalty for cycling whilst under the influence of drink or drugs is a £1,000 fine. This is also the case for careless or inconsiderate cycling. The maximum penalty for dangerous cycling is a £2,500 fine.

You wouldn’t, however, get any points on your driving license should you have one, as it isn’t a driving offence.

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
It's because an e-scooter is not legal in public. They are a 'motorised vehicle' and there is no licence category for them therefore the two dudes were drunk whilst driving without a licence eg the same as if it were a car or motorbike. So if they had licences they would get a ban, if they didn't have licences the ban would start from whenever they do obtain one.

Further to Doomanics post, aside from a fine you can also get 2 years imprisonment from 'wanton or furious driving'. Admittedly you would have to cause some serious harm to someone to get banged up by the offence, but you wouldn't even need to be pissed either. If you were, it would certainly be an aggravating factor and massively work against you. In short, don't run into anyone, especially if pissed.

Ark

Mar 8, 2023
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Wouldn't matter if you killed someone. They will find you.
Probably more likely to get your self killed.

Every Social bike ride advertised in my city seems to involve riding to a pub and then riding back.
2 pints could in theory put you over the limit, and I'd imagine some of them drink that amount

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
It's because an e-scooter is not legal in public. They are a 'motorised vehicle' and there is no licence category for them therefore the two dudes were drunk whilst driving without a licence eg the same as if it were a car or motorbike. So if they had licences they would get a ban, if they didn't have licences the ban would start from whenever they do obtain one.

Further to Doomanics post, aside from a fine you can also get 2 years imprisonment from 'wanton or furious driving'. Admittedly you would have to cause some serious harm to someone to get banged up by the offence, but you wouldn't even need to be pissed either. If you were, it would certainly be an aggravating factor and massively work against you. In short, don't run into anyone, especially if pissed.

I've just watched the programme again on My5.
The e-scooters were from a council approved hire scheme so were road legal. One of the riders was three times over the limit. He received a fine and a driving ban. ???

clivem25

Mar 5, 2023
Perth Western Australia
The issue in our jurisdiction is the traffic laws are the only ones that actually specify a blood alcohol limit. If you're on the road then they probably also apply to a bike but for boats for example, it's illegal to operate while intoxicated but proving that is not as simple as being breathalysed.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
The issue in our jurisdiction is the traffic laws are the only ones that actually specify a blood alcohol limit. If you're on the road then they probably also apply to a bike but for boats for example, it's illegal to operate while intoxicated but proving that is not as simple as being breathalysed.
Big problems in Norway with drunken sailers. So many of them have wee boats.

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
The e-scooters were from a council approved hire scheme so were road legal. One of the riders was three times over the limit. He received a fine and a driving ban. ???
Yes, road legal to ride the hire ones but only with a provisional (or full) driving licence. The licence is the condition and you are subject to all the same driving laws. Same as any other motor vehicle. So yes, they were drink-driving.

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
As above when you hire them, (have done in Bristol)you have to be over 18 & have provisional or full licence. Mate was saying who lives there yes if caught all traffic offences goes on your licence. Being over limit, dangerous driving etc. They are fun but also automatically slow in pedestrian areas, I had one that decided to go slow heading home at night through set of lights, so am trying to Scoot manually through orange set of lights 😂 as mates ahead lots of fun

Ark

Mar 8, 2023
Newcastle Upon Tyne
As above when you hire them, (have done in Bristol)you have to be over 18 & have provisional or full licence. Mate was saying who lives there yes if caught all traffic offences goes on your licence. Being over limit, dangerous driving etc. They are fun but also automatically slow in pedestrian areas, I had one that decided to go slow heading home at night through set of lights, so am trying to Scoot manually through orange set of lights 😂 as mates ahead lots of fun
Do you have to prove you have a license ? I've seen people driving them who look about 15, okay in theory they could have a provisional license.
The only thing you need to get one is the cost to buy it? you don't need to learn the highway code or anything, seems like a stupid requirement

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
It’s an app & am sure I had to enter my license number. Then do a sober test when you unlock scooter clicking on symbols etc was a pain to initially setup I remember that 😂

sam.spoons

Sep 8, 2022
M11MM
It is not actually illegal to operate a boat under the influence but you could be prosecuted under the merchant shipping act* if you are "seen to be endangering other vessels, structures or individuals and are under the influence of alcohol", not like driving where simply driving under the influence is an offence. Cycling drunk is similar in so much as it is an offence to cycle under the influence but only if you are unfit to the point of being incapable of having proper control, there is no measurable limit and cycling offences can't, in themselves, lead to points or disqualification on your driving licence as they are not driving offences but courts can, I believe, impose driving bans for offences other than driving offences if they see fit.

* It would also matter where you were operating the boat, most harbours have bylaws prohibiting driving a boat under the influence and, I would guess, most inland waterways will have similar.

Goughy75

Sep 22, 2019
UK
You can drink and ride a bike/ebike. There is no alcohol limit and you can't be breathalysed or blood taken. You won't get points on your driving licence or be banned from driving. As is mentioned above you can be prosecuted for riding furiously though.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
You can drink and ride a bike/ebike. There is no alcohol limit and you can't be breathalysed or blood taken. You won't get points on your driving licence or be banned from driving. As is mentioned above you can be prosecuted for riding furiously though.
Fair enough, but these two guys on e-scooters were both breathalysed, one was under the limit and was not charged, the other was over and received a driving ban.
I'm just confused as to the difference between e-bike regulations and those for e-scooters.
Then again, the programme producer could have got things wrong.

Tetley

Sep 9, 2020
Bucks UK
A pedalec e-bike is classified the same as a clockwork bike, you must have to pedal to make it work (no throttle allowed), and it must be restricted to 15.5mph
An electric bike with a throttle, and all e-scooters are classified as motor vehicles, and you need a licence to ride them. hence drink driving laws apply.

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
Fair enough, but these two guys on e-scooters were both breathalysed, one was under the limit and was not charged, the other was over and received a driving ban.
I'm just confused as to the difference between e-bike regulations and those for e-scooters.
Then again, the programme producer could have got things wrong.
It’s not the regulations as such. The e-scooters are illegal unless hired through a scheme that a lot of cities run. Under this scheme in order to hire an e-scooter you need a car licence & can be charged the same as when driving a car so drunk driving, dangerous driving etc. e-bikes are privately owned so not under any scheme so can do what you like more or less. Hope makes more sense

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
A pedalec e-bike is classified the same as a clockwork bike, you must have to pedal to make it work (no throttle allowed), and it must be restricted to 15.5mph
An electric bike with a throttle, and all e-scooters are classified as motor vehicles, and you need a licence to ride them. hence drink driving laws apply.

Nice one, and to the point 👍

@Peaky Rider , if you just consider hired escooters as motor vehicles then all becomes clear. They are nothing like pedelecs in terms of the law.

As an aside, any non-hire escooter is banned outright. Therefore you can get points even if riding it perfectly. And yes, you could still get banned for being pissed on one as it's still a motor vehicle.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Nithin rang wi a wee dram just dinna git catched

IMG-20221012-WA0002.jpg

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
Oh for sure, no holier than thou stuff from me, was totally hammered coming back from a friends at midnight last year. Thankfully he lives in an area where theres very little to hit other than a ditch which tbf was exactly where I thought I was going to end up for the night with a bike on top of me.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Oh for sure, no holier than thou stuff from me, was totally hammered coming back from a friends at midnight last year. Thankfully he lives in an area where theres very little to hit other than a ditch which tbf was exactly where I thought I was going to end up for the night with a bike on top of me.
Whisky festival starts this week not far from me . I won't be taking the ebike though.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles