• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

Derestricting bosch smart system

manu.w

Aug 5, 2023
belgium
I guess the electromagnet is completely sealed and not possible to see the inside? Is this part metal?

IMG_5332.jpeg

manu.w

Aug 5, 2023
belgium
Can I also ask you if possible to plot the electromagnet pulse signature with this app or other app and take a screencapture?
Thanks

IMG_5334.jpeg

E Bob

Feb 15, 2021
torfaen
SPEED BOX 1.2 B (Bluetooth / Rim Magnet) installed today on my CX Race motor!
Due to how tight the motor fits inside my carbon frame I had to shave down the plastic electric magnet housing on the top and bottom to fit snug over the center rib of the motor.
I also had to heat up the plastic wire strain relief coming out of the plastic magnet housing and bend it downward to gain clearance.
It’s functioning as it should with no error codes while my bike is held off the ground in a stand. I have not ridden it yet, and unfortunately Cali is getting hit with an atmospheric river tomorrow, so once we it drys up a bit I’ll hit the trails.
I also have yet to play with the Bluetooth side of it….maybe tomorrow.

View attachment 133798 View attachment 133799 View attachment 133800 View attachment 133801
Got mine off centre, flat down on sprocket side.

E Bob

Feb 15, 2021
torfaen
Got my Speed box fitted into the crestline today, motor out/in 5 times... You must change the wheel size to pretty close or youll get the 523003 speed sensor code. Cannot get the ap to work though, just get connecting...

IMG_7307.jpeg IMG_7301.jpeg

manu.w

Aug 5, 2023
belgium
...>> You must change the wheel size to pretty close or youll get the 523003 speed sensor code.
What do you exactly mean , what has the wheel size, diameter? do with getting the error?
Can you explain more precisely?
Thanks

AlumiPro

May 1, 2023
California
You need to remove the printed black plastic cap on the magnet……most likely wouldn’t effect it’s function though.

IMG_7505.png

Last edited:

AlumiPro

May 1, 2023
California
That’s the code I got when the electric magnet wasn’t centered on the motor housing. (The original rim magnet is centered with the motor as it passes by)

IMG_7506.jpeg

Onetime

Aug 10, 2022
Cali
The rim magnet derestrictor seems like a big pain in the ass. It also Seems like it would be easier and cheaper to just convert the internal sensor/rim magnet to the swingarm sensor/rotor magnet and then just get a regular derestrictor that doesn’t require a difficult install or a display and startup and shutdown proceedures. Just saying.🤷🏻‍♂️

AlumiPro

May 1, 2023
California
The rim magnet derestrictor seems like a big pain in the ass. It also Seems like it would be easier and cheaper to just convert the internal sensor/rim magnet to the swingarm sensor/rotor magnet and then just get a regular derestrictor that doesn’t require a difficult install or a display and startup and shutdown proceedures. Just saying.🤷🏻‍♂️
My understanding is you have to have the motor setup that way from the bike manufacturer while being built, or before you take ownership of the bike. And this is IF the bike manufacturer AND Bosch are willing to do so. I’ve only seen Pole offer the option of either rim mag or rotor mag.
I asked Troydon from Crestline about this option but it didn’t seem to be a feasible option.

Onetime

Aug 10, 2022
Cali
My understanding is you have to have the motor setup that way from the bike manufacturer while being built, or before you take ownership of the bike. And this is IF the bike manufacturer AND Bosch are willing to do so. I’ve only seen Pole offer the option of either rim mag or rotor mag.
I asked Troydon from Crestline about this option but it didn’t seem to be a feasible option.
My understanding of it is that your local Bosch dealer can do it. It just needs to be plugged into the Bosch portal and make the change. I’ve seen some people that have had it done and I’ve seen others who said that the shop said needed the manufacturers consent to do it. It seems to be a case by case thing. But even if the bike shop needed the manufacturers consent, I don’t see why they wouldn’t. I used to have the rim magnet on my original Voima, when there were no rim magnet derestrictors available. But I sold it when the newer Race ID Voima became available and luckily I also had the option to get the swingarm sensor/rotor magnet at that time, so I did.

AlumiPro

May 1, 2023
California
You must change the wheel size to pretty close or youll get the 523003 speed sensor code.
I’m running a 27.5 rear and my default setting is 84.6 inches. Shouldn’t this be 86.4?
Am I so pose to set this at the new spoke magnet circumference?….so the Speedbox knows where the spoke magnet has been placed?(as each installation will be different and won’t place the magnet sensor in the same location on the swing arm.)

IMG_7508.jpeg IMG_7509.png

E Bob

Feb 15, 2021
torfaen
I’m running a 27.5 rear and my default setting is 84.6 inches. Shouldn’t this be 86.4?
Am I so pose to set this at the new spoke magnet circumference?….so the Speedbox knows where the spoke magnet has been placed?(as each installation will be different and won’t place the magnet sensor in the same location on the swing arm.)

View attachment 133883 View attachment 133884
mine was 84.6 but i run 29 rear, i was getting the 523003 error code like this "after the speedbox install" so i adjusted as high as it would go and dont get a code, Cant remember what a 29 inch worked out to be but the crestline screen wouldent go that high, so i just maxed it and seems ok now. You got me thinking about magnet placement now though, could measure from centre to magnet, double it then convert that to circumference

manu.w

Aug 5, 2023
belgium
I don’t understand why changing the wheel circumference could produce the error?
Could someone give some thoughts?
Thanks

AlumiPro

May 1, 2023
California
iv no clue but this is what bosch say View attachment 133917
This is also the error I was sporadically getting with the Megabobra system while on 2hr rides. (84.6 wheel setting……I never even thought to change this setting)
Have you gone on a ride with the Speedbox yet? Or just testing in your bike stand? I have yet to go on a ride. I only got a 523003 code with the Speedbox while I had the electromagnet placed off center of the motor, held in my bike stand.

E Bob

Feb 15, 2021
torfaen
This is also the error I was sporadically getting with the Megabobra system while on 2hr rides. (84.6 wheel setting……I never even thought to change this setting)
Have you gone on a ride with the Speedbox yet? Or just testing in your bike stand? I have yet to go on a ride. I only got a 523003 code with the Speedbox while I had the electromagnet placed off center of the motor, held in my bike stand.
only up and down my street, iv also fixed it over to the side, right hand side as it was clashing when i had it in the centre, so fingers crossed..

Stefanino

Feb 19, 2024
Italy
I don’t understand why changing the wheel circumference could produce the error?
Could someone give some thoughts?
Thanks
The circumference is not important.
When installing the tuning are asked to go to the circumference screen because at that moment the circumference value is circulated on the can, the tuning memorizes it and then uses it to show the corresponding/exact feedback (for example 2.5 or 5.0 on activation/deactivation). I remember that speeds are shown and they are not figures!

AlumiPro

May 1, 2023
California
Trying to derestrict the Bosch Smart Rim magnet system is not worth the money, frustration, error codes, and loss of time. So I returned the Speedbox and converted my bike to the Bosch swing arm speed sensor / spoke magnet. I’ve never been happier! No more issues, no more rim magnet / internal speed sensor and my Bosch firmware is up to date (10.12.3)

SEBA

Sep 11, 2019
French Provence High Alps
Trying to derestrict the Bosch Smart Rim magnet system is not worth the money, frustration, error codes, and loss of time. So I returned the Speedbox and converted my bike to the Bosch swing arm speed sensor / spoke magnet. I’ve never been happier! No more issues, no more rim magnet / internal speed sensor and my Bosch firmware is up to date (10.12.3)
with which kit ?

stratosa

Apr 17, 2020
GREECE
Please tell me how you manage to convert your rim magnet bike to the Bosch swing arm speed sensor / spoke magnet

AlumiPro

May 1, 2023
California
You first need to get permission from your bikes manufacturer(not all are willing to do so). Your local bike shop has to email a request to the bike manufacturer to do this procedure. If approved the manufacturer will email a file for the bike shop to download new firmware into the bike that shuts the internal speed sensor off, while also turning on one of the motors existing electrical outlets for the new swing arm speed sensor to plug into.
Then it’s about $50 in Bosch parts. (Bosch Speed Sensor, Bosch Speed Sensor Chain Stay Adaptor/Holder, and Bosch Spoke Magnet)

SEBA

Sep 11, 2019
French Provence High Alps
You first need to get permission from your bikes manufacturer(not all are willing to do so). Your local bike shop has to email a request to the bike manufacturer to do this procedure. If approved the manufacturer will email a file for the bike shop to download new firmware into the bike that shuts the internal speed sensor off, while also turning on one of the motors existing electrical outlets for the new swing arm speed sensor to plug into.
Then it’s about $50 in Bosch parts. (Bosch Speed Sensor, Bosch Speed Sensor Chain Stay Adaptor/Holder, and Bosch Spoke Magnet)
and manufacturer do not ask the reason why ??! what is your bike brand ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles