• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

Derestricting bosch smart system

Onetime

Aug 10, 2022
Cali
Last edited:

megabobra

Jul 24, 2022
Australia
Ha! Cheers mega, I go seriously cross eyed trying to follow your instructions... I'm near Coffs, and would take 2 if you wanted to make them?

You know you might be better off with one of the modules OneTime suggested above give you're running the rotor magnet? That way you avoid fluffing around getting LPP activated, electromagnets, running new sensor cables to the rotor... Frankly the commercial solutions for rotor magnets are much neater, it's just that there's not really an alternative for those lucky enough to have the rim magnet :rolleyes:

mainguy

Sep 30, 2023
London
Guys I'm considering getting a bike with a Bosch CX Line performance motor and the voxspeed dongle - but im worried after reading like 10 pages here.

I'd be using the bike to commute in the city, I want a MTB for safety with potholes etc I find them much nicer rides. Would you guys think its worth a punt or is this too unreliable with the 504 error? I really don't want any hassle if im spending 3k+ but this looks like it may be a nightmare.

Fuzz

Jun 2, 2020
Yarrahapinni, NSW, Australia
You know you might be better off with one of the modules OneTime suggested above give you're running the rotor magnet? That way you avoid fluffing around getting LPP activated, electromagnets, running new sensor cables to the rotor... Frankly the commercial solutions for rotor magnets are much neater, it's just that there's not really an alternative for those lucky enough to have the rim magnet :rolleyes:
Yes, I’ve come to that conclusion, thanks heaps for your feedback. Love your work brother.

Egon

Aug 27, 2023
Cambridge
Found a solution for 25mph (in UK) without mod chips that will void warranty.

I had my bike shop set my wheel size to 26 in. (in the settings). That gave me an extra 1.5 mph. I then bought a used SPEEDi and installed it. Now I cruise at around 25mph with full assist.

Haven't gotten the firmware flashed to US spec...yet. That will bring me to 30 mph undetectable.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Guys I'm considering getting a bike with a Bosch CX Line performance motor and the voxspeed dongle - but im worried after reading like 10 pages here.

I'd be using the bike to commute in the city, I want a MTB for safety with potholes etc I find them much nicer rides. Would you guys think its worth a punt or is this too unreliable with the 504 error? I really don't want any hassle if im spending 3k+ but this looks like it may be a nightmare.
If you buy a standard Gen4 - not "Smart System" then you should be fine with a volspeed 3 - just don't turn the power off at the destination and let it continue feeding the false data when you stop until it's equalised the ride.

timothe

Jun 2, 2023
UK
Some news from ebike tuner: (my name is not George tho)
Screenshot 2023-11-08 at 10.37.39.png

GBikeBoy

Jul 4, 2023
New York

I have the Bosch CX line performance smart system with the Volspeed chip. I do pretty much what I think you're doing ie in and out of the city every day (about 30 mins). I have to say it's been great - no problems whatsoever (touch wood!). With a previous chip from another manufacturer I had 4 504 errors and had to limp home every time (and I was terrified at the 4th one as I thought it would turn into a brick - but it hasn't). The only downside is that I have deleted the Flow App and so don't connect the bike at all - I was worried it was tracking distance and speed etc. In short, if you go for Volspeed on a Smart system, my experience is that you'll be fine.

Onetime

Aug 10, 2022
Cali
Well, at this point I think there are only 2 store bought solutions to the rim magnet that I’m aware of. As more become available, I think the price will drop. That being said, the rim magnet version is more complicated so I would expect the price to be higher. I’m just glad I don’t have a rim magnet anymore.

Last edited:

sp3d3

Jul 11, 2023
Finland
Hi guys!

I have waited longtime to buy derestricting box to my smart system bike.
Im in conclusion that volspeed or speedi are the way to go, but now there is also speedbox 1.1

Have there been any problems with volspeed? (limpmode etc.)
what I have been reading, it works great.

speedi dont have kit for my specific bike, so there is that.

speedbox 1.1 is the new box, and there not much reviews about that.

Do you have any advise about these? what do you guys recommend?

Br.

Pete

manu.w

Aug 5, 2023
belgium
I made my own setup (MEGABOBRA: Bosch Smart System Derestriction for Rim Magnet - DIY Project with Support)
On my original firmware i managed to have a quite easy rudimentary working setup.
When upgrading the motor system firmware from 4.21.0 to 8.16.0, troubles appears.
After a loooot up and downs i got a working setup.I
would like to share my experience, but if i see that others "steel" it an sell it over 300£ ..., i am a little bit reluctant. Sad, because i would love to share my findings.
What i will share is that the reedswich should work flawlessy, the way to generate the electromagnet pulse is also much more tricky on latest firmware!

MCIwoo

Jun 15, 2023
Czech Republic
Great that SpeedBox finally came out with a new chip for the Smart system. It is said to be better than the previous version 1.0. So we'll see.

MCIwoo

Jun 15, 2023
Czech Republic
With my rim magnet, Smart System Canyon arriving next week, i was looking for a derestrict option. I don't blame anyone for taking an opportunity where there is demand / no competition, but this opportunist price has pushed me into "nah" territory. Good luck speedbox but you've misjudged it as far as I'm concerned.
The Italian competitor has that chip for a similar price (and without Bluetooth), but the processing is not great..

manu.w

Aug 5, 2023
belgium
if you buy a lightweight trendy gravel bike to enjoy riding on public hard and softer roads you will never be under the 25 km/h. ...
Now, to have the same pleasure with a heavier ebike, why do they restrict "us" to 25km/h? non-sense...
Personally, i consider ebikes as an "assistance" (up to each to decide the amount) to travel longer and as fast as the best fittest hard core gravelers 😇
PS (i am getting older, but still like the speed )

Marvin2Shoes

Dec 12, 2023
Townsville, Australia
1000011726.jpg

Assuming there's still interest now that you know the pricing, please like/reply to this if you're happy to go ahead so I can understand numbers.
I have the disc rotor type sensor. I would like to get the board with code running and Bosch cables to connect properly. I will fine tune this end and post final documentation for those like me with disc sensor if that's whats needed.

Marvin2Shoes

Dec 12, 2023
Townsville, Australia
Hi, I am interested in the megabobra approach, I have a Cube Stereo 160 which has the magnet on the brake disc. Can I put this solution between the existing magnet and sensor (e.g. have an additional sensor where the original one is, go through the Arduino then put out a reduced magnet read to the original sensor)? This would negate the need to cut my original wire and mess around with placing an electro magnet in the right place on the motor?

Or am I over simplifying things here? Not sure if the wheel sensor is just for the display or the wheel sensor need to match the motor sensor?

Thanks
Not oversimplifying, you are potentially making it more complex than needed.
This depends on whether you have a hall effect pickup type sensor (3 or 4 wire device) or a variable reluctor coil pickup. I haven't had a look at my bike yet as I was waiting for warranty to run out before I start mods.
If the sensor produces a logic square wave output (hall effect 3 or 4 wire device) then the existing sensor is all that is needed.... this gives signal to Arduino and arduino produces the required slower signal which is fed to the motor/interface connection as a lower frequency square wave.
If a VR pickup is used then the method you described may be the necessary and more complicated option as this analog signal reduces in period but increases in amplitude as revs increase.
Maybe others could hop in on this conversation to fill in some of the unknowns.

Last edited:

mybrainhurts

Dec 14, 2023
Poland
Found a solution for 25mph (in UK) without mod chips that will void warranty.

I had my bike shop set my wheel size to 26 in. (in the settings). That gave me an extra 1.5 mph. I then bought a used SPEEDi and installed it. Now I cruise at around 25mph with full assist.

Haven't gotten the firmware flashed to US spec...yet. That will bring me to 30 mph undetectable.
How to flash US firmware?

Aug 18, 2022
Netherlands
My dilemma is VOLspeed vs Peartune MSO 4.0 for Bosch Smart system (non-rim-magnet).

Speedbox is not on my shortlist (I need 35kph+)

Which one would you advise and why?

Onetime

Aug 10, 2022
Cali
ATTENTION!
This device is not compatible with e-bikes equipped with a magnet attached to the valve (Bosch Rim Magnet).
Right, the guy I was replying to was asking about the NON RIM MAGNET sensor. The only companies that are compatible with the rim magnet are Speedbox and e+.

Last edited:

AlumiPro

May 1, 2023
California
SPEED BOX 1.2 B (Bluetooth / Rim Magnet) installed today on my CX Race motor!
Due to how tight the motor fits inside my carbon frame I had to shave down the plastic electric magnet housing on the top and bottom to fit snug over the center rib of the motor.
I also had to heat up the plastic wire strain relief coming out of the plastic magnet housing and bend it downward to gain clearance.
It’s functioning as it should with no error codes while my bike is held off the ground in a stand. I have not ridden it yet, and unfortunately Cali is getting hit with an atmospheric river tomorrow, so once we it drys up a bit I’ll hit the trails.
I also have yet to play with the Bluetooth side of it….maybe tomorrow.

IMG_7496.jpeg IMG_7501.jpeg IMG_7503.jpeg IMG_7502.jpeg

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles