Levo Gen 2 Dead Levo - remote diagnosis please

Timwillows

Jun 6, 2019
Portsmouth
Hi today my 2019 Levo is dead, till now it has been doing fine. So looking for some help to diagnose the problem.
TCU does nothing, no lights and no beeping.
Battery is fully charged and no error messages from the charger or battery
Pushing the TCU on button when the battery is connected gets the battery lights flashing (1&3, 2&4)
No significant moisture around TCU, drying it off with a hair dryer no change
All looks clean and dry around the power cable
opening up the power plug, all lock clean and dry

any ideas?

Sep 21, 2019
Oxfordshire England
Hi today my 2019 Levo is dead, till now it has been doing fine. So looking for some help to diagnose the problem.
TCU does nothing, no lights and no beeping.
Battery is fully charged and no error messages from the charger or battery
Pushing the TCU on button when the battery is connected gets the battery lights flashing (1&3, 2&4)
No significant moisture around TCU, drying it off with a hair dryer no change
All looks clean and dry around the power cable
opening up the power plug, all lock clean and dry

any ideas?
Your battery lights 1 & 3, 2 & 4 indicate a short circuit. Has it got wet at all recently ? In most cases it's water ingress into the power lead. Generally it will be ok again tomorrow. Might be worth checking the power lead for cracks at the battery end. A common cause for water entry and replaceable under warranty.

Sep 21, 2019
Oxfordshire England
Your battery lights 1 & 3, 2 & 4 indicate a short circuit. Has it got wet at all recently ? In most cases it's water ingress into the power lead. Generally it will be ok again tomorrow. Might be worth checking the power lead for cracks at the battery end. A common cause for water entry and replaceable under warranty.
Sorry meant check power lead at motor end

Timwillows

Jun 6, 2019
Portsmouth
Wet! Well it is Hampshire in December!
not been used for a week so should be dry, but will try as suggested. How do I get to the motor end, do I need to remove the crank arm?

Sep 21, 2019
Oxfordshire England
Wet! Well it is Hampshire in December!
not been used for a week so should be dry, but will try as suggested. How do I get to the motor end, do I need to remove the crank arm?
Yes remove crank and then the plastic cover to get to the power cable. There is a tab/catch on the motor end plug that needs lifting up and then it can be pulled out. I had my 2020 Levo lead replaced under warranty as have many others on this forum. Of course there is always your LBS.

Timwillows

Jun 6, 2019
Portsmouth
Ok had a look in there, fairly pleased to find it relatively clean but a few signs that mud has got in in the past. Cable was dry and corrosion free but lots of splits and cracks at the motor end which would certainly let any moisture in also seemed to have a pretty severe kink in it, is that normal?
Have removed it for proper drying to see if that fixes it

Grannyjones

May 25, 2020
England
Have the same problem. Power lead getting replaced under warranty. It's been in Leisure Lakes for 2 weeks now.

LL: "It is showing a short when I try and switch it"

6 months use / 3500 km

Problem began in November when conditions had just turned from very wet to extremely wet

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
Have the same problem. Power lead getting replaced under warranty. It's been in Leisure Lakes for 2 weeks now.

LL: "It is showing a short when I try and switch it"

6 months use / 3500 km

Problem began in November when conditions had just turned from very wet to extremely wet

Thats pretty poor service for a power cable, Berkshire changed mine in 45 mins while I waited. Worth keeping phoning them and also raise with Specialized, they may be able to get LL a cable quickly ?

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
The cable is easily repaired and sealed to prevent re-occurence...or at least until you get a replacement. The short will likely be where the wires enter the motor end cap or inside the cap. Provided the wires are still connected and the terminals are not corroded it is an easy repair. Look up other threads on here for how.

Grannyjones

May 25, 2020
England
Thats pretty poor service for a power cable, Berkshire changed mine in 45 mins while I waited. Worth keeping phoning them and also raise with Specialized, they may be able to get LL a cable quickly ?

It certainly is! If that was in Summer I'd be bothered by it - At the moment it's too wet and/or icy for decent E Biking anyway. And hordes of walkers!

Last edited:

Kave

Dec 9, 2018
Sweden
I suspect my power cable too. I have measured it now and only the two larger pins are showing 0ohm and none of the smaller 5 connectors inside. Any tips for finding the repair cable threads?

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
There are numerous going right back to 2019!! The 2019 and most 2020 bikes had the same cable fitted and the motor end plug is prone to cracking which allows water in and creates a short. The replacement cable is version 3. Essentially the new cable is more flexible which prevents the pressure on that cap. It is also much better sealed.
So the first thing you need to do is to inspect the motor end cap and see if it is cracked. In addition the only seal against water penetration is the outer sheath being glued into the end of the cap. Again if that is not now fully sealed it will let water in. Also check the seal between the outer sheath and the battery end plug. If that is not properly sealed water can enter there and run along inside the outer sheath and into the motor end plug.
If the motor end plug is cracked but all wires are still terminated inside the motor end cap you merely need to dry it out thoroughly and then use araldite or similar to repair the crack.
I replaced my power cable with the V3 before my existing cable gave me any problems. It had however started to crack. I modified my old cable to keep it as a spare.
I repaired the crack with araldite. Then stripped the outer sheath back from the motor end plug about 75% along the total cable length. I then used a neoprene glue called Aquasure to seal the cable into the motor end cap and also to make sure the battery end cap to sheath seal was reinforced. The bare section of cable was then wrapped with self amalgamating tape with a layer of insulating tape over the top just to act as protection. This process made sure the cable was fully sealed and made the cable more flexible so that it would not put pressure on the motor end cap and break it. I will dig out a photo of my modifed spare cable.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
My repaired cable

20201229_174344.jpg

ped

Aug 7, 2018
germany
hi ridgeway rider, you seem to know the secrets of the errorcodes. Do you know if there exists a list, describing the different led error signals ?

Sep 21, 2019
Oxfordshire England

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles