Dead levo NOT DEAD ANYMORE

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
Well my levo is completely dead. Road it this morning and apart from a slight intermittent power loss it was ok. Charged over lunch and went to go out this afternoon and its completely dead so tomorrow im off to Berkshire cycles, 200 mile round trip but these guys are the only ones who seem to know what they are talking about!!!
Wish me luck!!

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
Ouch! What have you tried?

The battery lights will look normal even with the motor disconnected. Have you tried electrical contact cleaner on the plug connection? (The only problem we've had with our Levos was forgetting and leaving the connector unplugged, DOH!)

I'd fiddle with it quite a bit before driving 200 miles!

You might also PM Al Boneta, our E* Powah Elite World Champ.. He's seen everything and might offer some good tips on things to check.

Good luck!

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
Thanks,
battery connections seem fine tried my wifes battery with no change had the non drive side cover off and checked all the plugs, cant see any probs mission control can still see the motor so i guess theres no connection break, no errors on the data output file so im stumped, could be dead speed sensor but i cant test that.
So bit of a drive is in order

Levorunner

Jun 16, 2018
Canada
Thanks,
battery connections seem fine tried my wifes battery with no change had the non drive side cover off and checked all the plugs, cant see any probs mission control can still see the motor so i guess theres no connection break, no errors on the data output file so im stumped, could be dead speed sensor but i cant test that.
Well that really sucks! Best of luck! Hopefully its not too serious of an issue!

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
Thanks,
Does your battery work in your wife’s bike?

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
So just got back from Berkshire cycles, let me say first what a superb outfit, they know specialized e bikes inside out upside down they completely stripped out the motor and harness, found some corrosion on the battery to motor cable that I probably wouldnt have seen. Replacing this bought the bike to life but it was still down on power so they just replaced the motor. they even gave me a choice 1.2e or 1.3.
They fitted the 1.2e and let me ride it, very smooth very quiet. Then they fitted the 1.3 which I kept, not necessarily because its more powerful, it is but its quite a subtle difference. I kept it because thats whats meant to be there.
Bonus for me was the specialized guys were there as well but were very tight-lipped about the new Levo.
Nice guys who listened to my criticisms of the levo design and I got the feeling they were actually listening.
bottom line if you are thinking about buying a specialized e bike talk to Chris at Berkshire cycles, they give top service and are very knowledgeable.
I couldnt be happier

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
It sounds like the 200 mile trip was well worth it! I wish we had the same level of service here in Denmark - Good luck with the “new” bike ?

Karsten

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Great news Dave!
Glad they sorted it out for you so quickly.
This is exactly the type of service we need going forward. I suspect the team at Berkshire cycles will be getting a lot of business when the new Levo is released (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I'm sure that Berkshire Cycles will be the destination for UK buyers for Levo and Kenevo now.

@ccrdave did you notice much difference in power between the 1.2e and 1.3? I'm very curious if theres any real world difference.

Dusty

Jul 14, 2018
Liverpool
I'm sure that Berkshire Cycles will be the destination for UK buyers for Levo and Kenevo now.

@ccrdave did you notice much difference in power between the 1.2e and 1.3? I'm very curious if theres any real world difference.
Shame they cannot open a shop exactly near my home 4 hours away

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
@Rob Hancill its a bit difficult to say as i was comparing it to my knackered motor but it was very smooth and very quiet and it dragged my arse up that hill next to the shop but when Chris put a new 1.3 motor in i am sure that is more powerful, Chris said it was in my mind but you cant get away from the fact that spesh advertise it as a 60nm motor. I would not be unhappy with it in a hsrdtail but in a kenevo.........bit of an unfair review as i just didnt get to ride it enough but first impressions say good but not as good as the 1.3

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
amazing, that's good to hear! So in fact it was a dead motor, right? How old was it?
Well it was the power cable that was stopping it working but i think it was a weak motor right from the start. It was new in February and its done 1000k or so
Power output gone from 560w to 751w

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Well it was the power cable that was stopping it working but i think it was a weak motor right from the start. It was new in February and its done 1000k or so
Power output gone from 560w to 751w

Hi Dave,
I presume you are getting the max motor power readings using Blevo?

The 751W figure is what I would expect from the 1.3 motor.
Your figure on the old 1.3 motor is interesting though as my 2017 1.2 engine is still churning out between 650w to 668w on every ride and has been since mid June when I first started using Blevo. In fact my most recent ride output a max reading of 668w. This is after 900 miles on my new engine.

Hey Blevo Users! NOT Mission Control Users.
What are you guys/gals getting for your 'Maximum motor power output?'

Last edited:

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
Hi Dave,
I presume you are getting the max motor power readings using Blevo?

The 751W figure is what I would expect from the 1.3 motor.
Your figure on the old 1.3 motor is interesting though as my 2017 1.2 engine is still churning out between 650w to 668w on every ride and has been since mid June when I first started using Blevo. In fact my most recent ride output a max reading of 668w.

Hey Blevo Users! NOT Mission Control Users.
What are you guys/gals getting for your 'Maximum motor power output?'
actually, Chris Blevo and mission control more or less match the output figures but it would be interesting to get a poll of power outputs.
When discussing my old engine with the spesh guys they said "its probably just a dull motor get it changed" They were a little vague about what the peak output should be

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Out of interest Dave did you get all that done on warranty or was there a cost involved ?

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
I got it all done under warranty but seeing as I didnt buy my bike from them they charged me £60 for labour which in my eyes is absolutely fair

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
what do you get when the motor is warm and what temp does it run at?
today mine was at a peak of 37c and when its hot power dropped off to about 700 to720w

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
was also interesting the Spesh guys told me in the uk the biggest areas of problems were a forest of dean, south Wales and somewhere like lake district, all the places that get really muddy in the winter.
They also said its perfectly ok for us to strip the motor out and clean it on a regular basis, it wont void your warranty. and its recommended to do. You do need to be ok with the spanners though

Jonowinter

Patreon
Apr 29, 2018
Bournemouth
So just got back from Berkshire cycles, let me say first what a superb outfit, they know specialized e bikes inside out upside down they completely stripped out the motor and harness, found some corrosion on the battery to motor cable that I probably wouldnt have seen. Replacing this bought the bike to life but it was still down on power so they just replaced the motor. they even gave me a choice 1.2e or 1.3.
They fitted the 1.2e and let me ride it, very smooth very quiet. Then they fitted the 1.3 which I kept, not necessarily because its more powerful, it is but its quite a subtle difference. I kept it because thats whats meant to be there.
Bonus for me was the specialized guys were there as well but were very tight-lipped about the new Levo.
Nice guys who listened to my criticisms of the levo design and I got the feeling they were actually listening.
bottom line if you are thinking about buying a specialized e bike talk to Chris at Berkshire cycles, they give top service and are very knowledgeable.
I couldnt be happier

Fair play to them, if my Levo ever has a problem I would defiantly consider taking it to them, it might be a long drive and they charge for the labour but at least if they have the parts they can sort it straight away. I really don’t like the sound of being without my bike for 4-6 weeks if that’s how long other dealer take to sort it. Fingers crossed nothing goes wrong with mine though ??

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles