Crestline Bikes

Lightme

Subscriber
Jul 17, 2020
Sydney
I'm really interested in a comparison between this and the Voima.

Crestline was my first choice and Voima second. But I couldn't get the crestline landed in nz for a reasonable price so the Voima won. Since then they have started selling frame only which might make it feasible for e-bike number two.

I have both. Feel free to ask any questions.

Lightme

Subscriber
Jul 17, 2020
Sydney
It could also be that:

- Fox specifically tuned this DHX2 for my Crestline, not sure how different the damping will be versus stock, but no doubt makes a difference
- Its not uncommon for springs to have upto 10% tolerance to printed weights, so mine could be as high as 575 and yours as low as 500 (unlikely, but possible!)

EXT state their tolerance is up to 3% (so a 500 is could be between 485 - 515!). I will have a look see if I can find more!

I actually think it’s the second point. I had this DHX2 initially on my Nomad. I swapped that out to a Super Deluxe Ultimate at the same spring rate, and it felt at least 50lb stiffer.

I definitely agree with Rob’s assessment of the small bump compliance. There is a lot of progressivity relative to most emtbs.

I just put a Vivid on. I’ll report back.

Lightme

Subscriber
Jul 17, 2020
Sydney
What type of terrain does each bike shine on? What makes you reach for one bike other than the other when going for a ride?
Easy one. I take the Voima when the trails are fast, chunky and without too many turns where grip is at a premium. It doesn’t jump nearly as well as the Crestline. The Crestline is the more fun and engaging bike and a better all rounder. The Pole makes you feel almost invincible, as long as your wheels need to stay on the ground and the turns aren’t too tight. This view is a product of how I’ve built the bikes up. The Voima has a coil shock and a Fox 40.

Most of my rides are fast, rocky, steep DH trails with fire road ascents. I find myself taking out the Crestline 70% of the time. They’re both awesome machines.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Easy one. I take the Voima when the trails are fast, chunky and without too many turns where grip is at a premium. It doesn’t jump nearly as well as the Crestline. The Crestline is the more fun and engaging bike and a better all rounder. The Pole makes you feel almost invincible, as long as your wheels need to stay on the ground and the turns aren’t too tight. This view is a product of how I’ve built the bikes up. The Voima has a coil shock and a Fox 40.

Most of my rides are fast, rocky, steep DH trails with fire road ascents. I find myself taking out the Crestline 70% of the time. They’re both awesome machines.
Got any any pics and spec of both? is the crestline mullet of full 29er?

But I get it. The crestline has a shorter chianstay, shorter front center resulting in less wheel base and will be more playful. Less travel makes in more poppy and playfull too.

1702591543343.png

Lightme

Subscriber
Jul 17, 2020
Sydney
If i was going to run the decadence of voima and 75/50, I think i'd build the 75/50 to around a 20ish kg light build with super light wheels, and 500wh battery. That would be a thing of beauty.

I don’t think that’s possible unfortunately. I had similar ideas initially. My 75/50 weighs just over 25kg (with pedals) with carbon wheels, carbon bars, T-type drivetrain and decent tyres.

E Bob

Feb 15, 2021
torfaen
I don’t think that’s possible unfortunately. I had similar ideas initially. My 75/50 weighs just over 25kg (with pedals) with carbon wheels, carbon bars, T-type drivetrain and decent tyres.
The weight suits the bike, it loves to jump, and plenty of traction when pushing on.

E Bob

Feb 15, 2021
torfaen
Weight sucks for jumping once you need to pedal and pop above motor cut out speeds.
The weight of an e'bike is good everywhere, jumping included, im not a big jumper but a lot of the blokes i ride are, not a problem for them, or the thousands iv seen on you tube etc.
Yes a restricted bike sucks, but thats peddling, not cornering, jumping or popping..

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
The weight of an e'bike is good everywhere, jumping included, im not a big jumper but a lot of the blokes i ride are, not a problem for them, or the thousands iv seen on you tube etc.
Yes a restricted bike sucks, but thats peddling, not cornering, jumping or popping..
I'll beg to differ. E bike weight is not good or an advatage everywhere. In fact mostly its worse not better for everything except stabilizing the the bike through chunk.

If your not jumping those big jumps above motor cut out that require extra pedaling and popping then you aren't experiencing what I'm talking about. So it will be hard for you to understand. Ps, if the trail and gravity gives you enough speed then I have no problem hitting the big stuff above motor cutout. That Iis likely what you have seen on you tube etc. But it is blindingly obvious when you do hit the cut out and you need more speed how much a limitation the extra weight it's. You are actually worse off on the ebike than a normal mountain bike in that instance.

Anyway to prove I do, do jumps here's my nuts run to entertain you for 1 minutes. For the record there's ample speed for these features so motor cut out isn't and issue.

E Bob

Feb 15, 2021
torfaen
I'll beg to differ. E bike weight is not good or an advatage everywhere. In fact mostly its worse not better for everything except stabilizing the the bike through chunk.

If your not jumping those big jumps above motor cut out that require extra pedaling and popping then you aren't experiencing what I'm talking about. So it will be hard for you to understand. Ps, if the trail and gravity gives you enough speed then I have no problem hitting the big stuff above motor cutout. That Iis likely what you have seen on you tube etc. But it is blindingly obvious when you do hit the cut out and you need more speed how much a limitation the extra weight it's. You are actually worse off on the ebike than a normal mountain bike in that instance.

Anyway to prove I do, do jumps here's my nuts run to entertain you for 1 minutes. For the record there's ample speed for these features so motor cut out isn't and issue.

Your definately still refering to peddling beyond motor though, iv rode restricted bikes, Not for me.. But the weight is no disadvantage to me or my buddies, And as iv allready pointed out, thousands of others do just fine on them over 20kg bikes. Were all from an MX, Enduro background, Perhaps were used to heavy bikes, Cant talk for the rest of the men and woman round the world that do ok on them though...
If your happy to ride restricted, and want a lighter bike, get your self a SL, The kanevo sl would eat what you put on video... But IMO most derestricted full fat e bike with over 140mm travel, would be better through that trail.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Your definately still refering to peddling beyond motor though, iv rode restricted bikes, Not for me.. But the weight is no disadvantage to me or my buddies, And as iv allready pointed out, thousands of others do just fine on them over 20kg bikes. Were all from an MX, Enduro background, Perhaps were used to heavy bikes, Cant talk for the rest of the men and woman round the world that do ok on them though...
If your happy to ride restricted, and want a lighter bike, get your self a SL, The kanevo sl would eat what you put on video... But IMO most derestricted full fat e bike with over 140mm travel, would be better through that trail.
I'll agree that de-restriction would solve most of the weight issues.
Lets agree to disagree that weight is or is not a limitation. I'll maintain that there are definite times when weight is a limitation or disadvantage and you will disagree, It's likely you aren't doing the moves that show the limitation strikingly, therefore don't experience them personally.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I'll maintain that there are definite times when weight is a limitation or disadvantage and you will disagree,
You're a great rider and a talented and creative guy (and make some hot sh1t) , but I'd hope that if you step back you'd see that's a ridiculous things to say ?

Of course there will be times when that applies, so he won't disagree. But that wasn't what he said ?!

Everyone rides differently and rides different things. If we don't all accept that and instead snipe or try to justify that "our" situation is different/better/justified then everyone just wastes time and effort without having more of an open mind that what "I" do isn't the only scenario in the world.

Heavy or Light, gravity still works exactly the same.

Everything else is preference between the compromises.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
You're a great rider and a talented and creative guy (and make some hot sh1t) , but I'd hope that if you step back you'd see that's a ridiculous things to say ?

Of course there will be times when that applies, so he won't disagree. But that wasn't what he said ?!

Everyone rides differently and rides different things. If we don't all accept that and instead snipe or try to justify that "our" situation is different/better/justified then everyone just wastes time and effort without having more of an open mind that what "I" do isn't the only scenario in the world.

Heavy or Light, gravity still works exactly the same.

Everything else is preference between the compromises.
If you look a few post up you will see where E Bob stated that E bike weight is good everywhere. The continued discussion hinged around the premise that weight isn't an issue. That's fine, I disagree. So in that context my statement isn't rediculous. It's just logical conclusion to the hypothisis.

Ride what ever you like how you like and have fun. We wont always agree, that's ok too.

E Bob

Feb 15, 2021
torfaen
Man im not sure what plummet thinks he is ? im just an average biker, raced superbikes "So heard all the weight excuses before" , loves my trial bike "thing will climb a wall vfrom standstill BTW" loves climbing shit on my enduro bike too , but also loves going as fast as i can on my E Bike.. i live next to cwmcarn and frequent bike park wales "30 mins away"
But aye.. Plummets vid and them drops look cool... But Not what i call jumps, and way slower than im used to, but cum,mon Dude lets not wave dicks, you do ur drops andf what you can do ill do Better...
Zimmer, Arrogant Prick definately asked for that....

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Man im not sure what plummet thinks he is ? im just an average biker, raced superbikes "So heard all the weight excuses before" , loves my trial bike "thing will climb a wall vfrom standstill BTW" loves climbing shit on my enduro bike too , but also loves going as fast as i can on my E Bike.. i live next to cwmcarn and frequent bike park wales "30 mins away"
But aye.. Plummets vid and them drops look cool... But Not what i call jumps, and way slower than i'm used to, but cum,mon Dude lets not wave dicks, you do ur drops andf what you can do ill do Better...
Zimmer, Arrogant Prick definately asked for that....
Well it's obvious we a looking at the same thing from 2 different perspective. You from moto and me from mtb. I can understand from a moto perspective an e-bike would be feel light. For me i'm 50% mtb and 50% e bike. My mtb is 14kg and the E 25kg. It's blatantly obvious and noticable to me what is possible on the 14kg bike compared to 25kg bike. I change my style to suit both steeds.

At some point i probably will get a light weight E, because I do miss that playfullness mtb when I'm on the full fat E. On the other side i do love the high speed smashing and plowing of the voima. It is mucho fun. At some point i will probably de-restrict it as that will make in more enjoyable on faster dh runs with big jumps.

Side note. If you have any youtube clips of you ripping i'm keen to see it. There's so few e-bikers actually shredding.

Redders473

Jul 30, 2020
Leeds
So rode the bike the other day and had the motor turn off twice. Took it home washed and dried everything off. Even had the rail out to check connections.

So the bike will turn on and stay on but if i charge it on the bike after about 5 mins it cuts out and shows that on the kiox. The battery will charge directly into it.

So put my spare in and that's charging on the bike fine.

Going for a test ride tomorrow to make sure both batterys don't cut the bike out.

It's like there's a bad connection but it turns on and works just sometimes it thows that up on the kiox

Any ideas
20240103_104553.jpg

Durrti

Aug 22, 2021
California
So rode the bike the other day and had the motor turn off twice. Took it home washed and dried everything off. Even had the rail out to check connections.

So the bike will turn on and stay on but if i charge it on the bike after about 5 mins it cuts out and shows that on the kiox. The battery will charge directly into it.

So put my spare in and that's charging on the bike fine.

Going for a test ride tomorrow to make sure both batterys don't cut the bike out.

It's like there's a bad connection but it turns on and works just sometimes it thows that up on the kiox

Any ideas View attachment 131740
Try to unplug the Kiox and charge and ride. Had a buddy that wound up with a bad Kiox and it did some weird stuff…

E Bob

Feb 15, 2021
torfaen
Also pull out the kiox check no water in connections or the sponge is not wet, Check the battery for water too

Redders473

Jul 30, 2020
Leeds
Also pull out the kiox check no water in connections, check the sponge is dry too
Yep done all that as well. Had hair drier in there as well to make sure it's all dry.

It's charged up now and ill take it for spin tomorrow to make sure both batterys are fine.

Also the latches on the batterys arent the best one of my battery has to have a couple layers of tape on it to press against the rail to stop the battery from wobbling. Not much but enough a big knock will disconnect the power

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
This one came in at 24.4KG in a proper build.

View attachment 130679 View attachment 130680

I feel the only way to get a real handle on the actual weights of these bikes is track down the frame only weights.

Some guys weigh their mediums, and others their XL, some with pedals, tools, inserts, longer dropper, DH tires, etc.

All of that stuff can make a solid 2 Kilo difference.

That said, Pole's weigh 1.5 - 2 kgs more than similar CF frames from what I've seen.

Robstyle

Nov 17, 2021
New Zealand
I've had motor disconnects before. It was the result of a bent latch and damage to the plastic surround one of the battery terminals.

I just straightened it and cut the bit of plastic out (carefully!) hasn't done it since.

Was your battery latch ever really hard to close?

multisync

Oct 6, 2023
LA
what size and brand tires are you guys running? Trying to get a bigger tires. I know the rear "fits" 2.5" max.
Im running Continentals, and the 2.6's are too wide. They dont make a 2.5, so im running a 2.4, which seems a little skinny.

This is on a 30mm ID rim.

E Bob

Feb 15, 2021
torfaen
iv got 2.6 both ends, Assegai on the front magic mary on the back, great combo this time of year.
Has anyone fitted sram wireless dropper and moved the rear brake line over to the right of the bike ?
My ocd is struggling with the kink in the brake line...

E Bob

Feb 15, 2021
torfaen
what size and brand tires are you guys running? Trying to get a bigger tires. I know the rear "fits" 2.5" max.
Im running Continentals, and the 2.6's are too wide. They dont make a 2.5, so im running a 2.4, which seems a little skinny.

This is on a 30mm ID rim.
Why 2.5 max ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles