Crestline Bikes

Robstyle

Nov 17, 2021
New Zealand
So I had some user induced issues with my dh bike yesterday. See attached pic 🤦‍♂️
So I did downhill laps with eebb all day, a dh fork makes a heap of sense on this 🤔 The difference in fore/aft stiffness between a single crown and dual is noticeable.

Bike is a genuine do it all machine!
IMG_20240130_091300_801.jpg

RoJo

Apr 24, 2019
Surrey
Sweet ride! Is that heal rub on your CS/Seat Stay? Might want to stick some protection on that.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
@RoJo hows the Ohlins on the rear?

I put mine on but am getting loads of rattle with it which is super annoying, as other than that, the shock is really good. Feels totally different to the DHX2 - way more support in first half of travel with same spring.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK

I put mine on but am getting loads of rattle with it which is super annoying, as other than that, the shock is really good. Feels totally different to the DHX2 - way more support in first half of travel with same spring.
Did you put the Fox spring on the Ohlins? Isn't Ohlins spring ID 36mm and Fox spring ID 35.18mm? Thought it wouldn't fit? 🤔

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK

My Ohlins TTX22m.2 squeaks, I think it's the bottom of the spring rubbing on the inside IYSWIM. Yeah, annoying. It's a 525lb spring - tried a Valt 500lb spring which felt too soft and next Valt size up is 550lb will probably be too stiff. 😞

RoJo

Apr 24, 2019
Surrey

That's strange, I get no rattle at all. The inside of the spring occasionally rubs against the plastic protection of the damper body. I just put some slick kick grease on there and it keeps it quiet. I had mine serviced by TF Tuned prior to fitting (it's from my old bike) and they fitted the hardware.
I find the ohlins really playful, which is strange for a coil, and it is fit and forget. I can play with damper settings and feel a small difference but generally it just works irrespective of damper clicks. I do find the rear bottoms before the 200mm front, so am enquiring about how to get a 180mm link.

eTrax

Oct 17, 2019
USA - West Coast
That silver RS looking good!

I have about 1600km on the RS (RH4) now. Started in 180/175 and while very fun when hitting mach chicken speeds, the handling suffered in lower speed techy terrain.

Ran 170/162 for a few months, while slightly better I am still searching for more snappy handling and ok with giving up some of that top speed stability.

I am thinking of going -.5 deg on HTA or dropping to 160/150 or 160/162. I think the wheel base will get down in the high 1280's range which may offer a more playful bike.

I also have the 27.5 rear triangle. I tried the MX setup in 180 mode and really did not like it, felt much better in full 29 mode. This was strange as I really like my Gen3 Levo MX.

Anyone already tried some of this?

Last edited:

GeorgesEBike

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jul 30, 2018
Verdi, NV

I have about 1600km on the RS (RH4) now. Started in 180/175 and while very fun when hitting mach chicken speeds, the handling suffered in lower speed techy terrain.

Ran 170/162 for a few months, while slightly better I am still searching for more snappy handling and ok with giving up some of that top speed stability.

I am thinking of going -5 deg on HT or dropping to 160/150 or 160/162. I think the wheel base will get down in the high 1280's range which may offer a more playful bike.

I also have the 27.5 rear triangle. I tried the MX setup in 180 mode and really did not like it, felt much better in full 29 mode. This was strange as I really like my Gen3 Levo MX.

Agree on the Silver 180! Stoked that I have one on order!

My current 50/75 is set up with full 29in wheels and 160mm front/150mm rear. In 100% stock form the bike handled much better than anything I've ever ridden. Handled on rails! I ended up adding 5mm reach headset and it does not handle as sharp as before. I am more comfortable on the bike and have greater confidence with the added reach. I'm thinking this might be the setup you are looking for.

My current 75/50 is set up with mullet wheels and 180mm front/175mm rear. I also added a reach adjust and feel more confident on the bike.

I have no problem taking either bike down any trail. If I'm able to hit all of my lines the 160mm/150mm bike is fastest. I'm unable to hit all of my lines so actually faster on the 180mm/175mm bike.

My Silver 180 Frameset will be built up with full 29in wheels and 190mm front/180mm rear travel. For me and where I live I feel it's the best setup. Really can't go wrong having all 3 bikes.

RoJo

Apr 24, 2019
Surrey

I am thinking of going -5 deg on HT or dropping to 160/150 or 160/162. I think the wheel base will get down in the high 1280's range which may offer a more playful bike.

I think short length and reach contribute greatest to the bike being more fun and playful at the expense of high speed stability. I would be tempted to try reach adjust rather than change in head angle (slack head angle is good because you pick up camber(=grip) with steering). Shorter rear end would help too.
Whenever I ride my partner's eBike which is a couple of sizes smaller I always notice how much fun it is because I have a large range of movement available to me rather than being stretched out so lots of authority over the bike. Wouldn't run it for Hardline (or any bike for that matter 😉), but for more realistic tight trails it is fun.
I don't really understand reducing travel, can't you just pump the suspension up a bit and then you're effectively using less, but have some bottom out reserve. All you are losing is some BB height (maybe I've answered my own question).

E Bob

Feb 15, 2021
torfaen
Bare in mind The -5 reach adjust slackens the bike, It lifts front 15mm ish, slackens to 61,62. Which imo is too slack for the full travel crestline, For me The front got washy, im a short ass 5.8 hents been told go -5, but im a top heavy bloke that likes to ride beyond my skill set every minute im on a bike, i Get over the front fine and prefer a bigger bike, The standard cup back to 63,64 HA was sweet. Theres going to be Different sag on different forks, spring rates. But not massive.

RoJo

Apr 24, 2019
Surrey
Ah,
Bare in mind The -5 reach adjust slackens the bike, It lifts front 15mm ish, slackens to 61,62. Which imo is too slack for the full travel crestline, For me The front got washy, im a short ass 5.8 hents been told go -5, but im a top heavy bloke that likes to ride beyond my skill set every minute im on a bike, i Get over the front fine and prefer a bigger bike, The standard cup back to 63,64 HA was sweet. Theres going to be Different sag on different forks, spring rates. But not massive.
Ah, is it an external cup that goes under. It would only slacken it by around 0.6deg.

eTrax

Oct 17, 2019
USA - West Coast

E Bob

Feb 15, 2021
torfaen
Yes there external, im talking from experience, not guessing, i measured both, im not normally a measurer but after riding and noticing id lost front grip with the cup installed, i could also feel it sitting higher. excuse the mess...
IMG_7615.png
IMG_7613.png
IMG_7612.png
i got 61,62 with the cup, 63,64 without, so its more like 2 deg. IMG_7614.png

E Bob

Feb 15, 2021
torfaen
The -5 for shorter riders, the +5 for taller, The +5 will lift the front end but not as much as the -5.

Redders473

Jul 30, 2020
Leeds
Also your HA will steepen as your fork Sags. So i wouldn't worry about it to much, you can run less travel as well to steepen it back up.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles