Crestline Bikes

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
How are you finding the suspension @Rob Rides EMTB ? Not sure why, but I couldn’t get my Vivid feeling much good. Gone to a SDU coil to see how that goes. My Boxxers (previous gen) are feeling really good. Had to stuff it full of volume reducers, but feels great now.
I've never managed to get the newest RockShox stuff quite as nice as Fox. I tries the Vivid for 2 rides (I took it from another bike, so have returned it back to X2 now). It worked fine though, no complaints. Felt very similar to the X2, but harder to get to rebound damping due to the Crestline design.

I will try the Ohlins coil next, just back from J-Tech tuned for this bike.

E Bob

Feb 15, 2021
torfaen
I've never managed to get the newest RockShox stuff quite as nice as Fox. I tries the Vivid for 2 rides (I took it from another bike, so have returned it back to X2 now). It worked fine though, no complaints. Felt very similar to the X2, but harder to get to rebound damping due to the Crestline design.

I will try the Ohlins coil next, just back from J-Tech tuned for this bike.
I concur... Liked how the zeb held up on a rail, Didnt like it on the crestline, But "For me" The 38 is better at everything, It's the same with there shocks, i'v been meaning to get up and out with jack from mojo to test a coil on the crestline, But the x2 is running so sweet out back iv not bothered, When you can ride as hard as you want and forget about your suspension, its good enough for you.
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on them 40's Rob..

Onetime

Aug 10, 2022
Cali
Yeah, I thought I'd notice the difference. I think part of the problem is the battery spacer is at the bottom (so that it doesn't need a male and female socket + wires passing through), which means the 1kg saved is at the BB. If the kg saved was at the head tube end maybe it would help 🤷‍♂️
I also have 750 and 500w batteries for my Voima and I can definitely feel the weight difference, but my spacer is in the top of the frame so the weight is lower, so you’re probably right about the weight of yours being higher and not being able to feel the difference as much.

Onetime

Aug 10, 2022
Cali
I think I can safely get my K1 Voima down to 23-23.5kg with some part swaps. That includes some new carbon wheels I'm building up using DT Swiss 240 hubs with Berd spokes. Going to switch from DH casings to double down. and a few other things like that. And that weight is with using the 750wh battery.

I know people say why worry about the weight, but I work in the industry so it doesn't cost me that much and it's fun to me.
Those wheels will be a nice weight reduction that you’ll notice and they’ll feel even better with the berd spokes. They’ll smooth out a lot of the small trail chatter and vibrations. I love mine! 😃👍🏼

RoJo

Apr 24, 2019
Surrey
I also have 750 and 500w batteries for my Voima and I can definitely feel the weight difference, but my spacer is in the top of the frame so the weight is lower, so you’re probably right about the weight of yours being higher and not being able to feel the difference as much.
Is your battery connector also at the top i.e. does the spacer pass the power through? I'm sure I'd notice 1kg from the head tube area.

Onetime

Aug 10, 2022
Cali
Is your battery connector also at the top i.e. does the spacer pass the power through? I'm sure I'd notice 1kg from the head tube area.
No, my plug is under the rubber cover in the pic below and my battery plugs in at the bottom of the down tube. 750, (9.76 lbs) & 500w w/adapter, (7.10 lbs) also below

IMG_2921.jpeg

IMG_8412.jpeg

Last edited:

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Mid life crisis orange 😉
Just kidding, that's interesting to hear. What do you prefer about them Vs Boxxer?
To me the Fox 40 seems much better at damping control and sensitivity right through the travel. It’s similar to Zeb vs Fox 38 in my experience, the Zeb felt move over damped in many situations and the Boxxer felt similar.

The Charger 3 in Zeb was decent but I could never get it to match the 38 for overall sensitivity and support.

Spring wise, the Boxxer requires much higher air pressure (160-170psi in my case at 80KG) versus only 80 PSI in the Fox 40 - so the Fox runs substantially lower pressures which must be due to the larger diameter air piston. I believe this might contribute to it feeling more sensitive also - bigger chamber, less pressure.

I think that this combined with the Grip 2 damper in the fork combine to make a more plush feeling ride throughout all of the travel - it feels like a beefy Fox 38, with the benefits of Dual Crown and the larger damper and air spring diameter.

I might add that I know others that prefer the Zeb over the Fox 38 - so maybe it’s just what I’m used to. But, IMO. Fox has the edge in sensitivity and damping throughout the entire stroke. Boxxer seemed to ride a bit higher, plush off the top, but felt more ‘choppy’ over constant chunk.

Saying all of that, I’d definitely be more than happy with either fork and it’s only as I’m in a position to try both that I could test back to back, but it took half a run to tell that I preferred the 40.

👍

RoJo

Apr 24, 2019
Surrey
To me the Fox 40 seems much better at damping control and sensitivity right through the travel. It’s similar to Zeb vs Fox 38 in my experience, the Zeb felt move over damped in many situations and the Boxxer felt similar.

The Charger 3 in Zeb was decent but I could never get it to match the 38 for overall sensitivity and support.

Spring wise, the Boxxer requires much higher air pressure (160-170psi in my case at 80KG) versus only 80 PSI in the Fox 40 - so the Fox runs substantially lower pressures which must be due to the larger diameter air piston. I believe this might contribute to it feeling more sensitive also - bigger chamber, less pressure.

I think that this combined with the Grip 2 damper in the fork combine to make a more plush feeling ride throughout all of the travel - it feels like a beefy Fox 38, with the benefits of Dual Crown and the larger damper and air spring diameter.

I might add that I know others that prefer the Zeb over the Fox 38 - so maybe it’s just what I’m used to. But, IMO. Fox has the edge in sensitivity and damping throughout the entire stroke. Boxxer seemed to ride a bit higher, plush off the top, but felt more ‘choppy’ over constant chunk.

Saying all of that, I’d definitely be more than happy with either fork and it’s only as I’m in a position to try both that I could test back to back, but it took half a run to tell that I preferred the 40.

👍
Do you have a preference Vs single crown Fox 38 on the Crestline yet?

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Do you have a preference Vs single crown Fox 38 on the Crestline yet?
Not 100% sure yet, but on the first couple of rides with the Fox 40 I'm totally sold on this on the Crestline. BUT - still the honeymoon period.

Off to Finale Ligure in a few weeks with it, will definitely run the 40's for sure, and maybe I will pop in the Ohlins coil.

I'll give it a month or so and let you know!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles