Rail (625Wh) Considering a new Rail 7, Gen 2, Medium, Dark gray.

andrewgc

Sep 27, 2023
Aubrey Texas
New member here. Thank you for including me. 66yrs, avid mtn biker, have Fuel EX 8, Gen 5.
Questions on the Rail 7 Gen 2. Although the bike will be new, it is considered a 2022 as I understand.
1 - Will this bike have the latest Bosch CX motor?
2 - The 625 WH motor seems "small" compared to the other brand offerings. Thoughts?
3 - I am a bit concerned about the top battery mount failure that has been posted here and on bike reviews. What is the latest solution for this, especially for the Rail 7 aluminum?
Thank you!
Andrew Cooksey, Texas.

slomtbr

Subscriber
May 14, 2021
US
I have a '21 Rail 7
Yes. All Rails do.
2 - The 625 WH motor seems "small" compared to the other brand offerings. Thoughts?
When I was 250lb on the bike, the 625Wh (battery, not motor) was good for ~40 miles & 4000ft vertical in eMTB mode
3 - I am a bit concerned about the top battery mount failure that has been posted here and on bike reviews. What is the latest solution for this, especially for the Rail 7 aluminum?
Make sure the bike has the alignment plate, and everything is adjusted properly.
Make sure everything on the bike is torqued to spec, especially the chainring nut. Get the software updated - ask the LBS about TOUR+ vs eMTB Lite - you can't have both.
Happy trails!

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I thought the Bosch CX motor was 250w. A 625wh or 750wh battery is available and sometimes a range extender is available.

Power or range has never been an issue for me. (Rail 9.7, Bosch CX 625wh battery). I’ve only drained the battery once. In our country we are governed to 32kmh but that doesn’t affect the power or speed for the type of riding I do.

After seeing other types of motors on our mountain I would choose a Bosch gen4 CX again.

Btw, welcome to the forums. 👍🏻

Last edited:

andrewgc

Sep 27, 2023
Aubrey Texas
I have a '21 Rail 7
Yes. All Rails do.
When I was 250lb on the bike, the 625Wh (battery, not motor) was good for ~40 miles & 4000ft vertical in eMTB mode
Make sure the bike has the alignment plate, and everything is adjusted properly.
Make sure everything on the bike is torqued to spec, especially the chainring nut. Get the software updated - ask the LBS about TOUR+ vs eMTB Lite - you can't have both.
Happy trails!

Thank you!
Sorry for the elementary questions.
  1. So... the Rail 7 Gen 2 has the Purion, not the Smart System. There is still software that can be updated?
  2. To access the chain ring nut, simply remove the right side crank arm, and the nut will be accessible?
  3. Regarding the alignment plate... is that something the Trek dealer will know? Should they be willing to remove the cover and show me?
  4. Any additional thoughts on the top batt mount failure? That seems concerning.
THANK YOU SO MUCH!
Andrew

Zed.

Apr 26, 2023
Deepest Bandit country (Wales)
'22 Rail5 gen2 owner.

only once has the 500w battery run low when riding & that was when I didn't charge before a ride (started ride ~70%)

battery mount issues? none here BUT I did replace the Purion controller with the Kiox upgrade and argued with the battery alignment plate so think I've tightened the fit somewhat (I don't remove the battery to charge)

Bosch cx motor is great, believe higher speed before cutoff in most of the world compared to the UK Limit of 15mph

only issue I've had was the infamous rear wheel bearing play, after ~ 60 miles I noticed play in the bearing so stripped / cleaned / greased & reset preload...
loose again ~200 miles later so bit the bullet & bought new wheels 🙃

tQXVVSH.jpg

photo pre new wheels😎

I have a Nukeproof Mega290 for non Emtb duties / parks but the rail is my go-to(y)

EDIT.

amended post - alter the battery size from 625wh to 500wh 🤭

Rich.

Last edited:

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Have a January 2022 Gen 2 Rail 5 (L) with 500Wh battery. Only once ran out of power when only charged to 70%, never run out when charged to 100%. Moved my Hunt Trail Wide V2 wheels from my Fuel EX when I got the Rail so never had a wheel failure. 1,700 miles and nothing has failed. Have upgraded Purion to Kiox. Bike does everything I need - trails, bike parks, downhill, but then I have upgraded pretty much everything on the bike:

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
Rail here to
625wh
most rides off road around 2500 meters of climbing and around 30 miles ( Bike park use ) mostly done in tour mode
Battery is normally around 10-15% at the end
Of course battery use is dependent on power usage and your input so can vary a fair bit .

slomtbr

Subscriber
May 14, 2021
US
Thank you!
Sorry for the elementary questions.
  1. So... the Rail 7 Gen 2 has the Purion, not the Smart System. There is still software that can be updated?
  2. To access the chain ring nut, simply remove the right side crank arm, and the nut will be accessible?
  3. Regarding the alignment plate... is that something the Trek dealer will know? Should they be willing to remove the cover and show me?
  4. Any additional thoughts on the top batt mount failure? That seems concerning.
THANK YOU SO MUCH!
Andrew
So... the Rail 7 Gen 2 has the Purion, not the Smart System. There is still software that can be updated?
Bosch is still issuing updates - not as often as the Smart System, but you have options as to which assist settings you can have.​
To access the chain ring nut, simply remove the right side crank arm, and the nut will be accessible?
Correct - you need a Park CCP-44 or equivalent, the CCP-22 will not work. There are many threads as to the chainring lock nut wrench options.​
Regarding the alignment plate... is that something the Trek dealer will know? Should they be willing to remove the cover and show me?
Trek started fitting the plates from the factory in 2021, and were a free fix for bikes that did not have it.​
Any additional thoughts on the top batt mount failure? That seems concerning.
This ride wasn't on my Rail, but it is typical of the trails where I do ride it. Absolutely zero issues with the battery and its mount and connections to the bike.​

macdarwin

Sep 8, 2023
Orange Ca.
New member here. Thank you for including me. 66yrs, avid mtn biker, have Fuel EX 8, Gen 5.
Questions on the Rail 7 Gen 2. Although the bike will be new, it is considered a 2022 as I understand.
Thank you!
Andrew Cooksey, Texas.
Shop around your multiple LBS, I bought mine 2.5 weeks ago for $5199 at the Trek store and this week I found some other stores that is selling it for $4600 and $4700 so i got the differences refunded back to me. Im extra happy with my Rail now lol.

andrewgc

Sep 27, 2023
Aubrey Texas
Shop around your multiple LBS, I bought mine 2.5 weeks ago for $5199 at the Trek store and this week I found some other stores that is selling it for $4600 and $4700 so i got the differences refunded back to me. Im extra happy with my Rail now lol.
Thank you very much. My quote from my Trek Store is $4800 and also a $100 credit for anything in the store.
Thanks again!
Andrew

folmonty

Mar 11, 2021
NorCal
My 2021 Rail 7 has been a treat. Added pawls to the freewheel, made a rubber flap to protect the rear main pivot and keep the drive line clean as I can. Oh yeah, put a reference mark on the chain ring nut and make sure it's not backing off. I'm 68 and this bike has been an absolute joy. Originally had ideas to tinker with the bike but upon putting some miles on her found that it was more than enough bike for me.

Agree with everything @slomtbr said.

andrewgc

Sep 27, 2023
Aubrey Texas
My 2021 Rail 7 has been a treat. Added pawls to the freewheel, made a rubber flap to protect the rear main pivot and keep the drive line clean as I can. Oh yeah, put a reference mark on the chain ring nut and make sure it's not backing off. I'm 68 and this bike has been an absolute joy. Originally had ideas to tinker with the bike but upon putting some miles on her found that it was more than enough bike for me.

Agree with everything @slomtbr said.
Thank you very much! I am 66, so right there with you!
Where would I find more info about adding pawls to the freewheel?
Thanks,
Andrew

boomy96

Jun 3, 2023
Australia
My 2022 Rail 5 was an absolute beast. Great performer in millage, motor and durability. I did 7 XC and enduro races last year and not one issue. I sold it because I got a Turbo Levo heavily discounted and I can honestly say the Bosch is HEAPS better than the Brose motor. The Bosch 625w battery lasts just as long as a Brose 700w battery.

slomtbr

Subscriber
May 14, 2021
US
Thanks,
Andrew
Trek store, or bontrager.com
I added the pawls & springs. As cheap as it was, I wouldn't do it again. For the most part, it just made coasting louder.

Jimmy James

Apr 26, 2023
New Zealand
Thank you!
Andrew Cooksey, Texas.
Have just purchased 2022 rail 7 gen 2 and done 1000km on it so far. Age wise I am 68 . No motor issues . Battery more than sufficient for trails, climbs and general getting between trail start points. Ride in EMTB mode all the time . Rough calculation I have been using is 1 battery bar equals about 15 km of riding giving me approx 70 to 75kms (45 miles) of my usual riding.
No issues with battery mounts at all although I have just put a couple of Velcro straps around the battery . Dont do huge jumps or drops (body and bones dont bounce off the ground like it used to at this age) but enough rough stuff to give me a battery issue if it was going to happen. No issues so far with bike and it covers everything I wish to do riding wise.
Jim . Rotorua New Zealand.

folmonty

Mar 11, 2021
NorCal
Thanks,
Andrew
Just search right here and you'll find everything you need to know. It's only a way to give the hub more bite so as to reduce chance of failure. It's cheap and not hard to do. My wheels have held up fine. I'm an old skool desert rider and find the eMTB a new lease on life. There's a nice mix of trails in No. CA to keep me plenty entertained. The Rail 7 was really a nice fit at a reasonable cost compared to many of the others. If something isn't up to standards just upgrade it.

andrewgc

Sep 27, 2023
Aubrey Texas
OK guys... thanks to each of you who have replied to this, and a few other of my questions, I JUST ordered my Trek Rail 7 Gen 2, Medium, in brown. It should arrive to the Trek Store next week. Very excited. I will send a pic when I get it.
Thanks again!!!
Andrew

folmonty

Mar 11, 2021
NorCal
OK guys... thanks to each of you who have replied to this, and a few other of my questions, I JUST ordered my Trek Rail 7 Gen 2, Medium, in brown. It should arrive to the Trek Store next week. Very excited. I will send a pic when I get it.
Thanks again!!!
Andrew
That's exciting! Congrats on all the fun you're about to have. Now it's time to start planning those rides. Take the extra time to check over the key points talked about here. Especially the chain ring nut and you might even ask the shop to check it as a CYA. My guess is Trek has probably done away with the o-ring and started using blue loctite. Just a guess on that. Set up the suspension and go have fun! It's been a great fall week of riding - have some poison oak to show for it :(

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
Thanks again!!!
Andrew
Good to hear, haven't seen any brown Trek colours on Rails..

markloch

May 14, 2021
NorCal
‘21 Rail 5 here. 5 & 7 are good platforms for upgrades. I’m fine with the aluminum frame, no interest in a carbon Rail. Over time I built some sturdy wheels (wtb htz i35 rims white industries xdr hubs), upgraded brakes/rotors (Magura MT5/MDR-P) and upgraded from NX to GX cassette, derailleur, chain, shifter. I’m told you’ll get more life out of X01 or XX1 chain, more than the price difference between GX and those chains. I’m assuming that translates to less wear on the cassette, too. So planning on the chain upgrade.

markloch

May 14, 2021
NorCal
Trek started fitting the plates from the factory in 2021, and were a free fix for bikes that did not have it.​

Hmmm, local Trek store has been generous and proactive but never offered this up, maybe because I stopped having battery disconnect problems once I did a hack recommended by a roving bike mechanic (goes from Trek store to Trek store).

andrewgc

Sep 27, 2023
Aubrey Texas
I was just about to say the same thing
They normally come in grey or a greenish colour in a gen2 7 👍
OK, my bad... I believe the official color is.... "Mercury/Dnister Black", which seemed kinda brown to me. The main thing is, I was not too crazy about the other color option, in which the TREK logo was a really loud yellow.

andrewgc

Sep 27, 2023
Aubrey Texas
That's exciting! Congrats on all the fun you're about to have. Now it's time to start planning those rides. Take the extra time to check over the key points talked about here. Especially the chain ring nut and you might even ask the shop to check it as a CYA. My guess is Trek has probably done away with the o-ring and started using blue loctite. Just a guess on that. Set up the suspension and go have fun! It's been a great fall week of riding - have some poison oak to show for it :(
THANKS!
I do have a list of things to check on and do, all from this forum (THANK Y"ALL). One item is the chain ring nut. And, great idea, I will ask them to check it. I will mark it to confirm it hasn't (or has!) backed off a bit. I think I have that special tool to tighten it and I have gobs of blue Loctite 243, and torque wrenches.

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
OK, my bad... I believe the official color is.... "Mercury/Dnister Black", which seemed kinda brown to me. The main thing is, I was not too crazy about the other color option, in which the TREK logo was a really loud yellow.
Agree with the bright yellow
I only questioned it as i have the exact same model and its definitely Grey
Enjoy (y)

fasterjason

Dec 17, 2022
USA
THANKS!
I do have a list of things to check on and do, all from this forum (THANK Y"ALL). One item is the chain ring nut. And, great idea, I will ask them to check it. I will mark it to confirm it hasn't (or has!) backed off a bit. I think I have that special tool to tighten it and I have gobs of blue Loctite 243, and torque wrenches.
Last couple Rails I have built I have found the o-ring in the NIP box, and no thread locker on the left-hand lockring. If you do it yourself, the rear wheel and chain need to be on the bike. I place a little grease on the output shaft splines, use medium thread locker on lockring and torque face-shaking tight. I also pull all the suspension bolts and main pivot axle to apply grease and more thread locker, then torque to spec. The exception is the dropout hanger and bolt which is left-handed and the body / female threads are plastic. They use to have the wrong torque spec printed on it, so be careful.

If you have a shimano drivetrain and problems throwing the chain there is a 1mm bosch spacer that can be installed behind the chainring to adjust the chainline. I installed one so I could run a 36t chainring.

andrewgc

Sep 27, 2023
Aubrey Texas
Last couple Rails I have built I have found the o-ring in the NIP box, and no thread locker on the left-hand lockring. If you do it yourself, the rear wheel and chain need to be on the bike. I place a little grease on the output shaft splines, use medium thread locker on lockring and torque face-shaking tight. I also pull all the suspension bolts and main pivot axle to apply grease and more thread locker, then torque to spec. The exception is the dropout hanger and bolt which is left-handed and the body / female threads are plastic. They use to have the wrong torque spec printed on it, so be careful.

If you have a shimano drivetrain and problems throwing the chain there is a 1mm bosch spacer that can be installed behind the chainring to adjust the chainline. I installed one so I could run a 36t chainring.
Wow. That's a lot of good info. I copied this and saved it to my new Rail file. I am really grateful. Maybe after a few years on the rail, I can give back to new member here too.
Andrew

andrewgc

Sep 27, 2023
Aubrey Texas
OK guys... Thanks for answering all of my questions. Thanks for the advice, pics, vids and encouragement too!!!
Picked up my new Rail yesterday. I just got all of the pressures, sags, lever positioning, batt charged, etc., good enuf for the maiden ride. About to take it for a quick spin.
Thanks again!
Andrew

IMG_3439.JPG

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles