Rail (625Wh) Rail 9.7 (gen 2) vs Rail 7 (gen 3)

Which would you pick

• Rail 7 (gen 3) alloy frame with smart system

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • Rail 9.7 (gen 2) carbon frame with non-smart system

Votes: 6 46.2%

• Total voters

fasterjason

Dec 17, 2022
USA
My response to FJ was to question the validity of the general advice he was offering which he has now agreed was in relation to his own personal riding conditions.
My general advice came in two parts. The subjective part being my preference for more travel on a bike that is ridden on unpaved trails (my "riding conditions").

The other part is objective and concerns the intrinsic deficiency of the debon air spring, which doesn't equalize between the positive and negative chambers, leading to loss of travel of ~10-15mm. Rockshox redesigned it about three years ago, but it still doesn't give full travel. Installing a 170mm air shaft in a rockshox fork (as recommended by sram's warranty dept) will give you the stock rail geometry. Maybe the zeb is improved? The one that came with my 9.8 is in a box unused, along with the shock.

matics

Dec 7, 2023
Northern California
With respect to the Bosch Smart System equipped 2023 bike vs the prior generation Bosch system in the 2022 bike, how much of a benefit is there to going with the older system with what is considered easier derestricting options vs the newer Smart System. I don't want to know the pros and cons of derestricting, just a consensus whether there is any advantage of picking the older generation vs the newer.

Ride 2d@y

Jul 12, 2023
Mexico
Another big factor is the ergonomics of the various controllers offered - simple Purion Rail 5 handlebar mount, Kiox sticking out of top tube on Rail 9.7 or 'Star Wars' style controller on Rail 7 . . . everybody gets to make their own decision on which one is the best (or least irritating etc) design. Best to pay attention to these when you demo.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
With respect to the Bosch Smart System equipped 2023 bike vs the prior generation Bosch system in the 2022 bike, how much of a benefit is there to going with the older system with what is considered easier derestricting options vs the newer Smart System. I don't want to know the pros and cons of derestricting, just a consensus whether there is any advantage of picking the older generation vs the newer.
We have the older generation on two Rails and it does the job of a controller without being subject to random Bosch software changes. Not interested in linking our phones to them.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles