Rail (625Wh) Considering a new Rail 7, Gen 2, Medium, Dark gray.

andrewgc

Sep 27, 2023
Aubrey Texas
Gosh guys, my first ride was a hoot. Rode 5 miles on a trail that I know well. I just rode in 2-TOUR, never even tried E-Bike or Turbo. Noticed that riding in the rocks seems to work better just pedaling lightly. If pedal too hard, it applies more power than desired. Same going into a corner... don't want to pedal to early on the exit.
The upper body workout seems a bit more intense than with the acoustic bike, while the leg workout seemed a bit less. Was still able to get a good cardio workout.

Gonna try to alternate rides with the e-bike and acoustic.
Andrew

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Gosh guys, my first ride was a hoot. Rode 5 miles on a trail that I know well. I just rode in 2-TOUR, never even tried E-Bike or Turbo. Noticed that riding in the rocks seems to work better just pedaling lightly. If pedal too hard, it applies more power than desired. Same going into a corner... don't want to pedal to early on the exit.
The upper body workout seems a bit more intense than with the acoustic bike, while the leg workout seemed a bit less. Was still able to get a good cardio workout.

Gonna try to alternate rides with the e-bike and acoustic.
Andrew
Then go down from 2-Tour to 1-Eco and keep your pedalling cadence up, you'll soon get used to it.

folmonty

Mar 11, 2021
NorCal
Well @andrewgc how you getting on? Takes a bit to get comfortable yet so much fun the learning curve is entertaining. I'm 5'11" and bought a large. Wish I'd down sized to a med as it's a big bike with those 29" wheels. Find myself using the dropper a lot!

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Well @andrewgc how you getting on? Takes a bit to get comfortable yet so much fun the learning curve is entertaining. I'm 5'11" and bought a large. Wish I'd down sized to a med as it's a big bike with those 29" wheels. Find myself using the dropper a lot!
I'm 5'10" and had a Trek Fuel EX M/L which was just the right size for me.

Unsurprisingly I'm bang in between Rail 2022 (alloy) Medium and Large. But I have large 'wingspan' so went for a Large then messed around with the cockpit to make it fit right. My 5'7" wife has a 2022 alloy Medium Rail (which of course I maintain) and it's definitely too small for me.

andrewgc

Sep 27, 2023
Aubrey Texas
Guys, sorry I have not logged in here in a while, but I am absolutely loving my Rail!!!
I greatly appreciate all of the tips here too!
I have one issue that I thought I would run by you experts, before I take it back to my Trek dealer (which by the way I have a great relationship with... several really cool guys there).
Anyway, my RockShox shock is leaking. I am sure I can fix it as I routinely rebuild dirt bike forks and shocks, however this bike is so new.
Is this common issue with this particular shock?
Thank y'all so much.
Andrew

1701452248660.png

folmonty

Mar 11, 2021
NorCal
Guys, sorry I have not logged in here in a while, but I am absolutely loving my Rail!!!
I have one issue that I thought I would run by you experts, before I take it back to my Trek dealer (which by the way I have a great relationship with... several really cool guys there).
Anyway, my RockShox shock is leaking. I am sure I can fix it as I routinely rebuild dirt bike forks and shocks, however this bike is so new.
Thank y'all so much.
Andrew

Definitely not Andrew - glad the bike is treating you well. Mines been a blast this fall as well. Trek warranty is usually pretty good from all my experience and what I'd heard. See if they'll give you a replacement or even offer an upgrade?

Ride 2d@y

Jul 12, 2023
Mexico
Thank y'all so much.
Andrew

View attachment 130072
Shock looks dirty that is all. Do you have 100+ hours on the bike yet? If so, SRAM says to get the shock serviced etc.

Last edited:

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Thank y'all so much.
Andrew
If the shock still has the same sag as when it was set up for you and compresses and returns
OK then it's fine, just dirty.

andrewgc

Sep 27, 2023
Aubrey Texas
I downloaded the SRAM repair manual (pdf), ordered the rebuild kit, and already have the correct "PLUSH" oil.
I will service it myself.
Thanks guys,
Andrew

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
I downloaded the SRAM repair manual (pdf), ordered the rebuild kit, and already have the correct "PLUSH" oil.
I will service it myself.
Thanks guys,
Andrew
While you're doing that you could fit a Megneg upgrade, got one on my wife's bike, really does make a big improvement to the performance of the shock. Was sceptical about the reviews but they're right. For example:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles