Medium Rail 175mm Dropper?

Davidwylie

Feb 7, 2020
Leicestershire
Anyone with a med Rail fit a dropper longer than a 150mm? The 9 comes with a 150mm but wouldn't mind a 175 if possible.

Yes ... I changed mine for 180mm, went for the One Up V2 model as this has one of the shortest overall length available so no worrying about if it will fit into the seat tube enough .

8C207ED0-1282-401C-8DE1-58DB1AA48924.jpeg

903CC216-6518-4A09-93C9-7447B770BDB3.jpeg

Last edited:

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
They are 31.6mm aren't they? I don't want to order the wrong one for my 7 size Large. 180mm be easy changeover & not stick up too much?

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
Whats involved with changing them over? Do you have to take the motor out which means a visit to the bike shop or can you do it from above

IMeasureStuff

Aug 9, 2020
Australia
Whats involved with changing them over? Do you have to take the motor out which means a visit to the bike shop or can you do it from above
No need to remove the motor. You unscrewing the seat post clamp, the as you pull out the dropper you also have to push through some of the cable. Just pull it out a bit at a time, threading through the cable as you go. Then once it is out, just attach the new post to the original cable. Then it's just the reverse, as you push in the post you also need to pull through the excess cable.

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
Ahh so just need to release the cable from the dropper remote or loosen the whole remote (or handlebars) so enough is able to be pulled up? Are they fastened behind the battery case? (Too lazy to go look for myself :) )

Tony.OK

Mar 20, 2019
Napier, New Zealand
Ahh so just need to release the cable from the dropper remote or loosen the whole remote (or handlebars) so enough is able to be pulled up? Are they fastened behind the battery case? (Too lazy to go look for myself :) )
Yep theres 2 clamps on downtube, 3mm allen bolts from outside frame.
I did have to drop front of motor with mine as cable was really tight against motor, easy as though, 2 torx bolts each side up front and loosen 2 rear ones to lower front of motor a tad, cable must have been pinched slightly as now it can be moved with dropping motor.

pamartia

Jun 25, 2020
Walnut Creek, California
I replaced the stock dropper for a One Up v2 180mm, which I also had previously on my Yeti SB5.5
I'm 5'8" and no issue fitting it on my Rail 7 med.
I'd recommend having a gap of at least 10mm between the dropper collar and the seat tube one, that helped on the Yeti

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
I'm having problems with my oneup 180 dropper post. It won't drop if my heavy arse is on it. I have to unweight the saddle push the lever & then sit on it to make it drop. Has anyone else had a problem? I swapped the lever to my old giant one as the plastic one was bending too far but no difference. I've had it out before & the cable & actuator on the post seem to work smoothly however when it is all stitched up again it doesn't work properly.
I'm wondering if it's something to do with the bend in the cable around the motor? I've tried sliding the cable towards the front as I put the post back into the frame to keep the slack out front so it doesn't bunch.
Any suggestions?

If I was to check the cable run around the motor all I have to do to drop the motor with the bolts?

Philly G

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
I'm having problems with my oneup 180 dropper post. It won't drop if my heavy arse is on it. I have to unweight the saddle push the lever & then sit on it to make it drop. Has anyone else had a problem? I swapped the lever to my old giant one as the plastic one was bending too far but no difference. I've had it out before & the cable & actuator on the post seem to work smoothly however when it is all stitched up again it doesn't work properly.
I'm wondering if it's something to do with the bend in the cable around the motor? I've tried sliding the cable towards the front as I put the post back into the frame to keep the slack out front so it doesn't bunch.
Any suggestions?

If I was to check the cable run around the motor all I have to do to drop the motor with the bolts?
Yes, not hard to drop the motor. Undo the chain. Remove the skid plate. 6 motor bolts (torx). Unplug the wiring. Motor out! I use loctite red on the motor bolts for reassembly. If the actuator of your OneUp is rotatable, that should fix any clearance issues you may have. I've been toying with the idea of somehow attaching a length of hosepipe inside as a cable guide for the dropper, to make routing easy and prevent the cable getting caught up. Epoxy resin or something to hold it in place. Also how tight are you doing up your seat clamp?

Davidwylie

Feb 7, 2020
Leicestershire
Thanks. How is the one up remote and was it hard to reroute the new cable.

One up remote is pretty good, much better than the original. Fitting the cable is easy if you drop the motor. Fiddly if you dont drop the motor, but doable with patients. I've had a few Emtb's and have stripped them down many times, so taking the motor off is no issue. No hard to do, just 6 bolts.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles