Dropper sticking 2022 Rail 9 size M

Aug 18, 2021
St Helens Tasmania
Hi my new rail has a problem with the dropper sticking. I can press the release and unless I brake or move to the front of the seat. The dropper doesn’t move. Took it back to the LBS for its first service and they said this was normal because of the tube angle and told me just to move forward on the seat when I wanted to drop the seat.

Are they right or are they pulling my chain?

Charlie

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
The new dropper should move relatively freely. A bend or fracture in the tube could cause this but may not be easily seen. A tight seat post clamp also. I’m sure the LBS has adjusted the cable-barrel adjustment and insured that it’s properly lubricanted. Does it rise properly on it’s own when activated?
The standard Bontrager dropper (150mm) is fairly good but there are better ones out there.

Last edited:

Dhmorelia

May 5, 2021
Australia
I had the same problem. LBS said the same thing. They’re wrong!

I solved my problem by servicing the dropper. Instructions are on the trek website. It’s pretty easy to do if you’re happy to do this yourself. You just have to loosen the cable clamps in the battery area and loosen the dropper remote (so you can slide it closer to the frame). That should allow you to ease the cable past the motor to allow you to ease the dropper out of the seat tube.

The service improves the smoothness of the dropper significantly. It will also then work much better when you sit on the back half of the seat. It’s not perfect, but it’s much more usable.

The Rail 9 dropper seems to need regular servicing. There are numerous posts indicating that use in mud also requires a post ride service for smooth operation.

Also, you could try asking the LBS to service the dropper for you.

Aug 18, 2021
St Helens Tasmania
The new dropper should move relatively freely. A bend or fracture in the tube could cause this but may not be easily seen. A tight seat post clamp also. I’m sure the LBS has adjusted the cable-barrel adjustment and insured that it’s properly lubricanted. Does it rise properly on it’s own when activated?
The standard Bontrager dropper (150mm) is fairly good but there are better ones out there.
Thanks. I think they have Now serviced it and it’s better. Yes it does raise fine

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Hi my new rail has a problem with the dropper sticking. I can press the release and unless I brake or move to the front of the seat. The dropper doesn’t move. Took it back to the LBS for its first service and they said this was normal because of the tube angle and told me just to move forward on the seat when I wanted to drop the seat.

Charlie
they are talking rubbish!! Sounds more like the dropper is rubbish. Never serviced or had any problems with the X Fusion dropper on a Levo or Crank Brothers hi line on my Whyte.

1. Is your dropper protected with a muduard from trail debris thrown by the back tyre?

2. Do you clean the dropper post after a ride?........drip some wet lube around the post and let it run down onto the rubber seal and leave for a while...........then depress the seat post and release and wipe off. Occasionally spray the seat post with silicon spray.

Aug 18, 2021
St Helens Tasmania
they are talking rubbish!! Sounds more like the dropper is rubbish. Never serviced or had any problems with the X Fusion dropper on a Levo or Crank Brothers hi line on my Whyte.

1. Is your dropper protected with a muduard from trail debris thrown by the back tyre?

2. Do you clean the dropper post after a ride?........drip some wet lube around the post and let it run down onto the rubber seal and leave for a while...........then depress the seat post and release and wipe off. Occasionally spray the seat post with silicon spray.

1. Still nice and dry here. Mostly just some dust coming off the tyres.

2. I’ll try that. Thanks

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles