commencal 2021

shenchman

Aug 22, 2020
California
I just checked mine, it’s a 150mm.
The L and XL Signature were and still are listed as 175mm.

screensnip of commencal's response to my complaint (below) attached.
imo their response is lame & they're definitely in the wrong ie the consumer spec was ALWAYS listed as 175mm for size L+XL, whatever their internal b.s. memo said.

that said, given that their USA customer service has been fantastic for everything else (shipped replacement rotor for rotor bent in shipping the next day, consistent & rapid phone responses to other issues i emailed them about etc) as well as the generally excellent value of the parts spec, i'm personally willing to cut them a break & am not going to pursue it. for my 34" inseam on size L, 175mm is too short for the gnar anyway & i have enough base post showing to run a 210mm oneup even though it's longer than the max insertion ie i can't fully slam it down, so i'd be selling the 150mm or 170mm either way.

Sacha
On Dec 21, 2020, at 3:36 PM, sacha.henchman <[email protected]> wrote:

Nicco
Those are commencal's internal specs which i was never privy to; I purchased the bike according to the specs on Commencal : Bike, Frames, Parts, Textile, Outlet, Second Hand.... which I'm certain have listed the size L dropper length as 175mm since it was released 8/31/2020. this link includes the original signature color & component spec:
2021 Commencal Meta Power 29 Signature E-Bike

Capture.JPG

shenchman

Aug 22, 2020
California
related, fyi there's an ongoing fox transfer dropper post seat clamp issue which happened to me as well. it is detailed here:

the narrow shaft below the flared head of each seat rail clamp bolt slots into a groove + hollowed out 'cup' on either end of the upper clamp plate. this is convenient for installation but weak for actually holding the bolt.
failure occurs when the bolt's tension force spreads the groove apart & the bolt pulls out, which WILL ruin your ride at least, if not your ability to have children.
the design is not helped by the fact that the outwardly-angled orientation of the bolts relative to where the flared head sits means the bolts are basically trying to tear themselves out of the groove in the first place.
Fox has redesigned the upper clamp plate, adding more metal to strengthen the area which is supposed to hold the flared bolt heads. on my commie at least i have the pre-redesign upper plate design & it failed; early signs were serious creaking, which i addressed by tightening the bolts further, which made them spread the groove further etc. basically the design sucks & i'm glad to be rid of it in favor of my 210mm oneup, new clamp design or not.
pics attached; new design is on the right & bottom of the pics.
i plan to pursue warranty with Fox or Commencal so i can upgrade to the new clamp design & sell the POS!
i highly recommend getting the new plate design before your post ruins an epic ride, luckily my ride was going to be brief anyway.
happy riding
Sacha

hc_1608078982440.jpg

IMG_5956.jpg

IMG_5957.jpg

IMG_5958.jpg

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
screensnip of commencal's response to my complaint (below) attached.
imo their response is lame & they're definitely in the wrong ie the consumer spec was ALWAYS listed as 175mm for size L+XL, whatever their internal b.s. memo said.
View attachment 47994
That’s unfortunate. When I bought my Decoy a few months ago it came with a 50mm stem, and the website (when I ordered) listed a 40mm stem. I emailed them mostly just asking if I had the wrong stem on accident, and they replied saying that the part spec changed, and that they could not provide a 40mm stem for me. But instead, they refunded me $110 no other questions asked.

Dropper post is a much bigger deal than 10mm difference on a stem, as 150mm is way too short on a large (at least for me).

noblige

Aug 30, 2020
California
Anyone else has issue with derailleur cable rubbing against the frame? Tried adding some tape, but it cuts straight through - at this rate there will be a hole soon:

IMG_2210.JPG

JW9

Sep 5, 2020
UK
I noticed that this cable was rubbing on the frame also, I put a bit of the soft part of some super sticky Velcro. The soft bits help stop cables tapping on frames and making noises also, I stuck a bit on the head tube as well, not the most attractive but works a treat!

9588BAA0-ACB1-40DF-87F2-5C2AB868DC0A.jpeg
5DCD3032-2BB3-473E-90E4-B6C2874CC397.jpeg

noblige

Aug 30, 2020
California
I noticed that this cable was rubbing on the frame also, I put a bit of the soft part of some super sticky Velcro. The soft bits help stop cables tapping on frames and making noises also, I stuck a bit on the head tube as well, not the most attractive but works a treat!

View attachment 48375 View attachment 48376
Like the Velcro idea - might try that as well. What annoys me with Commencal, is lack of attention to details: my 2018 Meta had cable rub issue as well, except I only noticed when cable basically cut through bottom bracket shell :|

JW9

Sep 5, 2020
UK
It’s amazing how a cable can rub away metal! I stick Velcro anywhere a cable or chain can rub/touch etc my 2014 Kona Process has it all over it, that has cables that tap and a chain that slaps everything!

JW9

Sep 5, 2020
UK
Ive done a few other mods this week, I put a bit of moto foam in the frame cut out above the shock to stop mud and water getting in there it also helps dampen frame noise. I also have a big piece of foam in the hollow bit of the frame above the battery to also deaden frame noise, I also taped some rubber either side of the battery to stop it moving or rattling.

9221DBD2-37B7-4773-9FDC-02880889510D.jpeg

RobNevyn

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Nov 19, 2018
Central Coast NSW Australia
Yeah I got an email form them with the same info, will be interesting to see if other manufacturers will follow suit. I will follow up my local supplier and see what this means for my pre-order from October, if they know anything at this early stage.

Motofinne

Nov 18, 2020
Finland
Yeah I got an email form them with the same info, will be interesting to see if other manufacturers will follow suit. I will follow up my local supplier and see what this means for my pre-order from October, if they know anything at this early stage.

Others will follow suit that is 99% certain, the question is how they will tackle the issue. Some brands will have to raise the MSRP, others will try to keep the MSRP but then cut the dealers profit margin. Everyone in pretty much every industry has been impacted by this.

RobNevyn

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Nov 19, 2018
Central Coast NSW Australia

For anyone in the same boat as I am, my local Commencal (Australia) guy called me and he said earlier pre-orders (October in my case) are not affected by this, the only thing that may happen is higher local shipping costs.
Keen for my SX to arrive late January.

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
Anyone get a second battery for their Commencal yet? I’m hoping to pick one up sooner than later for times when I travel to a location and want to ride until I’m tired and not when my battery runs out.

Gw0175

Aug 30, 2020
Scotland
Anyone get a second battery for their Commencal yet? I’m hoping to pick one up sooner than later for times when I travel to a location and want to ride until I’m tired and not when my battery runs out.
Not yet, still saving ? I went out for a ride last week with a full battery on my 2021 SX. managed 46kms, prob about 70% in eco. Battery died about several km from home. My friends were on 2020 trek and merida, both had smaller batteries but plenty mileage left.

Hoping it was just the cold weather that zapped it because i wasn't impressed with the range and having to be towed back home ? thing weighs a tonne without power!!

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
Not yet, still saving ? I went out for a ride last week with a full battery on my 2021 SX. managed 46kms, prob about 70% in eco. Battery died about several km from home. My friends were on 2020 trek and merida, both had smaller batteries but plenty mileage left.

Hoping it was just the cold weather that zapped it because i wasn't impressed with the range and having to be towed back home ? thing weighs a tonne without power!!

there’s so many different things that can affect your range though, three obvious ones off the top of my head. Tires, tire pressure and your weight compared to your friends. I know that when I switched out my Maxxis Minion DHF and DHR MaxxTerra tires for Assegai MaxxGripp front and rear I lost a little bit of my range due to allot more rolling resistance.

Gw0175

Aug 30, 2020
Scotland
there’s so many different things that can affect your range though, three obvious ones off the top of my head. Tires, tire pressure and your weight compared to your friends. I know that when I switched out my Maxxis Minion DHF and DHR MaxxTerra tires for Assegai MaxxGripp front and rear I lost a little bit of my range due to allot more rolling resistance.
Yeah I get that. I'm not hating on the bike, I love it. Was just surprised that mine gave up first. Im easily the lightest out of us three and the only one who stuck to eco most so that's why I mentioned it.
Being the only one on 27.5 wheels must have made the difference ??‍♂️ ?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s the weight of the bike.

Older Merida prob at least 2kg lighter with smaller battery, Trek prob not as much but from my experience the Bosch has better range like for like with the Shimano system.

shenchman

Aug 22, 2020
California
are EP8 batteries even available? i've been waiting for my charge off the bike adapter forever.

i did discover during my 3 rides in 24 hours camper van weekend that modified sine wave inverters DO NOT work with the EP8 charger, & lithium battery chargers in general per my subsequent research. replacing my inverter with a pure sine wave model stat!

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
are EP8 batteries even available? i've been waiting for my charge off the bike adapter forever.

i did discover during my 3 rides in 24 hours camper van weekend that modified sine wave inverters DO NOT work with the EP8 charger, & lithium battery chargers in general per my subsequent research. replacing my inverter with a pure sine wave model stat!
Yes. My local bike shop said they could get me one.

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
I've been looking for the adapter to charge my battery in house for a while also. If you genuinely can get one I'd gladly take one off your hands ???
Are you in Scotland? I’m in the US so even if I could get a hold of a charger I’m not sure it’s worth the effort to ship it over the pond.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles