commencal 2021

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
First ride today and was pleasantly surprised by everything. He is a little ride review, and the motor efficiency was amazing riding at normal bike speeds. My decoy with 540wh and e8000 would not have been able to do this full ride unless I REALLY conserved, and I still had 40% left on the Meta!

View attachment 45257
Did a similar ride today but this time with only ebikers, and rode in half eco and half trail. This time was at 10% battery at the end.

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
I regret not getting the signature/fox edition. My 38 on my pedal bike feels way better than this Zeb that came on my Meta.

melmark

Dec 29, 2018
US
Got the same mail, but how am i supposed to tighten the inner screw at the chainring? My torque wrench cant fit in it doesnt work with an extend either! What kind of tool do you use? Tomorrow is maiden ride and i dont wanna fck up my ankle as @ShaneBean did it! looks painfull dude!
Damn just updated the DU
Just torqued mine they were definitely not at 16. Getting the the inner screw is tough but I had enough extra goodies to make it work

IMG_9601.JPG

leechi66

Aug 25, 2020
Slovakia
Well this seems to be a rather critical issue that Commencal needs to address. I mean this is some serious sh*t that can (already has looks like) cause serious injury. And I need to go get me a torque wrench asap
Yesterday I talked with a seller from Commencal Andorra and I pointed him to these problems, he said that they already know about it and solve it, so we'll see :) ......

ShaneBean

Sep 2, 2020
West Virginia
Got the same mail, but how am i supposed to tighten the inner screw at the chainring? My torque wrench cant fit in it doesnt work with an extend either! What kind of tool do you use? Tomorrow is maiden ride and i dont wanna fck up my ankle as @ShaneBean did it! looks painfull dude!
Damn just updated the DU
It's just 2-3nm for the retaining cap. Friend of mine checked the torque on the same bike I got. He said the cranks where only tightened to 6nm. It was like the same with my bike.

melmark

Dec 29, 2018
US
I suppose you all got this email. A little different than previously noted:

Good morning!

We hope you are enjoying your new Meta Power! Thanks so much for your choice in Commencal, we’re stoked to have you in the family!

Over the last week we have received customer feedback on the new 2021 Meta Powers - one issue has been brought to our attention.

We have seen several non-drive side (left side of the bike) E13 crank arms loosen or fall off.

The E13 crank’s pinch bolts may require greater torque than what was applied during the initial assembly. On the production line, they were tightened to between 12 and 14 N.m. However, we recommend a higher torque value of 16 N.m. Below is some info on what to do.

To ensure proper technique when tightening the cranks, please complete the following steps:

1.Tighten the screw closest to the frame to 14 N.m
2. Tighten the screw farther from the frame to 14 N.m
3. Tighten the screw on the inside again to 16 N.m
4. Tighten the screw on the outside again to 16 N.m

If you don't feel confident enough to complete this procedure, or if you don't have the necessary tools, no problem! You can go to the bike shop of your choice and we will cover the cost of labour.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. Please don’t hesitate to reach out with any questions or concerns.

Email: [email protected]
Phone: 303-284-7693

Cheers

COMMENCAL USA TEAM

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
I suppose you all got this email. A little different than previously noted:

Good morning!

We hope you are enjoying your new Meta Power! Thanks so much for your choice in Commencal, we’re stoked to have you in the family!

Over the last week we have received customer feedback on the new 2021 Meta Powers - one issue has been brought to our attention.

We have seen several non-drive side (left side of the bike) E13 crank arms loosen or fall off.

The E13 crank’s pinch bolts may require greater torque than what was applied during the initial assembly. On the production line, they were tightened to between 12 and 14 N.m. However, we recommend a higher torque value of 16 N.m. Below is some info on what to do.

To ensure proper technique when tightening the cranks, please complete the following steps:

1.Tighten the screw closest to the frame to 14 N.m
2. Tighten the screw farther from the frame to 14 N.m
3. Tighten the screw on the inside again to 16 N.m
4. Tighten the screw on the outside again to 16 N.m

If you don't feel confident enough to complete this procedure, or if you don't have the necessary tools, no problem! You can go to the bike shop of your choice and we will cover the cost of labour.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. Please don’t hesitate to reach out with any questions or concerns.

Email: [email protected]
Phone: 303-284-7693

Cheers

COMMENCAL USA TEAM
Like the US Commencal customer care

Darkyhs

Oct 25, 2020
Freiburg, Germany
Picked up the bike today from the LBS. This is for the moment the final spec :) Additionally, they told me that the cranks were 6nm tightened vs the 14/16 as recommended by Commencal's last email.

WhatsApp Image 2020-11-28 at 18.49.31 (1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-11-28 at 18.49.31.jpeg

So far so good. Haven't ridden a trail yet, as in Portugal it has been raining allot lately and we have a strange partial lockdown situation. But I will go this week to ride it :)

Hugh-Jazz

Jan 15, 2020
San Marcos, CA
I figured... Sounds like air spring rebuild is next for me :| Downside of mail order bikes - can't take it back to the shop: "Here, fix it!"
Probably just the negative air spring a bit over pressurized. To fix it, let a bit of air out so you can cycle the fork through its travel, then cycle through travel several times. When the fork moves past the transfer port it will burp the negative spring.

pabloantu

Sep 10, 2020
Spain
Proper test done, I love this bike. Super stable while nimble, smash through rocks and roots, and still easy to handle on twisty and grnarly tracks.
First ebike so I can't compare with others, but the extra weight seams to disappear when going down. Previous bike 2019 Orbea Rallon.

6500ft of enduro trail and singletrack, all in ECO mode. Rider weight 100kg
Rattling noise is noticeable but doesn't bother me. Motor much more silent than the E8000 on my mates' bikes.

Screenshot-20201129-155954.png

IMG-20201129-143335.jpg

IMG-20201121-132402.jpg

Last edited:

shenchman

Aug 22, 2020
California
Since some people have their bikes by now, how bad is the rattling noise from the motor while coasting and descending?
in my opinion imperceptible insignificant overblown ridiculousness. like the tiniest occasional cable rattle that I wouldn't have even noticed had the whiners not unreasonably expected sheer desolate silent perfection out of a motor with zero belts to snap (brose) or even plastic cogs (bosch).

when the motor is winching their whining asses up interminable climbs, the only motor more silent in my experience is the bafang bbs02b, which only fits retrobikes & has massive battery frame location vs. spinal column albatross issues.

melmark

Dec 29, 2018
US
in my opinion imperceptible insignificant overblown ridiculousness. like the tiniest occasional cable rattle that I wouldn't have even noticed had the whiners not unreasonably expected sheer desolate silent perfection out of a motor with zero belts to snap (brose) or even plastic cogs (bosch).

when the motor is winching their whining asses up interminable climbs, the only motor more silent in my experience is the bafang bbs02b, which only fits retrobikes & has massive battery frame location vs. spinal column albatross issues.
As I've mentioned previously, rattle is a total non issue for me. Although I think the Levo may be as quiet (just rode next to a friend who has one)

melmark

Dec 29, 2018
US
Proper test done, I love this bike. Super stable while nimble, smash through rocks and roots, and still easy to handle on twisty and grnarly tracks.
First ebike so I can't compare with others, but the extra weight seams to disappear when going down. Previous bike 2019 Orbea Rallon.

6500ft of enduro trail and singletrack, all in ECO mode. Rider weight 100kg
Rattling noise is noticeable but doesn't bother me. Motor much more silent than the E8000 on my mates' bikes.

Screenshot-20201129-155954.png

IMG-20201129-143335.jpg

IMG-20201121-132402.jpg
Totally agree. I just rode my analog Santa Cruz Hightower yesterday and the Commencal feels more planted and stable. And a monster on the descents.

HeatproofGenie

Jul 23, 2018
CO, USA
So I see some ride reports and it does look like range is definitely increased. Is anyone coming from an E8000 bike and can share how much more range they are getting?

Really I am interested in how much vertical one can get in on a ride. Our riding here in CO is mostly steep climbs and descents. On my 20 Meta Power 29 I can get 4500' (feet) of climbing with predominantly eco use and some trail. I really want more range. I am 80kg or 175lbs.

I want to know if the new EP8 system will deliver what I want or if I need to go to a Levo or Kenevo. Specialized seems to be king of range at the moment with riders here able to get 7-8000' of climbing in on a 700wh battery.

I've had a '19 and now '20 Meta Power 29 so I like what they offer and believe the new geometry to be only an improvement so still have a soft spot for these bikes. Will definitely be considering Specialized and maybe a Bullit if range is improved enough. Would also consider a Rail as I have heard range is good there too but probably not quite up to Brose and 700wh battery.

melmark

Dec 29, 2018
US
So I see some ride reports and it does look like range is definitely increased. Is anyone coming from an E8000 bike and can share how much more range they are getting?

Really I am interested in how much vertical one can get in on a ride. Our riding here in CO is mostly steep climbs and descents. On my 20 Meta Power 29 I can get 4500' (feet) of climbing with predominantly eco use and some trail. I really want more range. I am 80kg or 175lbs.

I want to know if the new EP8 system will deliver what I want or if I need to go to a Levo or Kenevo. Specialized seems to be king of range at the moment with riders here able to get 7-8000' of climbing in on a 700wh battery.

I've had a '19 and now '20 Meta Power 29 so I like what they offer and believe the new geometry to be only an improvement so still have a soft spot for these bikes. Will definitely be considering Specialized and maybe a Bullit if range is improved enough. Would also consider a Rail as I have heard range is good there too but probably not quite up to Brose and 700wh battery.
Well theoretically you will get about 20% more range with the bigger battery compared to E8000. The Rail was also a strong contender for me, but not even close in price when you compare the kit. Rail is about 5 lbs lighter however with the carbon frame. But man this Meta rocks.

HeatproofGenie

Jul 23, 2018
CO, USA
Right, 20% more climbing would put me at 5500' really eeking that out. Shimano claims efficiency increases on EP8 which is really what I'm inquiring about I suppose.

These bikes do rock, I love my '20 and I know the '21 will be better. I just want more range.

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
Right, 20% more climbing would put me at 5500' really eeking that out. Shimano claims efficiency increases on EP8 which is really what I'm inquiring about I suppose.

These bikes do rock, I love my '20 and I know the '21 will be better. I just want more range.
When riding slow (at normal bike speeds) in eco mode it is definitely more efficient. I could get 6000’ absolute max on my e8000 with 540wh battery. My first ride on the Commencal I got 6300’ with 40% battery remaining.

On trail mode it is far less efficient.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey

I think you need a comparison from a US owner - the lower cut out of assistance elsewhere actually has a big effect on range - I had one of my e8000 set to US limit, and the other to EU, and there’s a surprising amount of difference in range between them on identical rides just because you are using the assistance less on the EU bikes. On US cutout I would struggle to get more than 20miles 3000ft of climbing in trail mode, whereas get closer to 25miles on the EU

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
Agree ?? the red one ridden by Matt Jones in his latest video looks lovely albeit the lower spec model.
It would be good if it had the new motor and battery. That’s one thing I like about Commencal is you can get a lower spec bike with the latest and greatest motor and battery.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles