Cockpit cleanup - Lose the LED Remote

andybobbill

Aug 9, 2023
UK
Hi all.

Following on from this thread, I wanted to share my update here for anyone else that hates the LED remote ;)
Some of this may be specific to the Trek Rail but I think it could be broadly useful for a lot of people.

Caveat:
If you have a Kiox 300 like me and are still interested in using it without the LED remote, it won't have full functionality (yet) with this hack, but it can be made useable with the new software that was released yesterday (8/8/23)

Context:
I have a Trek Rail 9.8, Gen 3. I don't like the LED remote as it is clumsy, ugly, and gets in the way of my dropper post lever (IMHO). I had explored retrofitting a System Controller, but it will not fit in the hole in the top tube that currently houses the Kiox display mount.
I did discover via the thread linked above, that a Mini Remote will work with the LED Remote, and so I bought and set one up accordingly. I had to keep the LED Remote (now pushed way inboard and rotated under the bars) as it runs the whole show, and I also used it to switch between Kiox screens. It was also required to switch the bike on and off, so couldn't really do much else about it.
I think in an ideal world I would do away with the Kiox also, but since the mount is sort of integral to the frame I may as well keep it in place for now, plus I occasionally use it for navigation.

Epiphany:
I had removed the battery cover from my RIB system as some grit had found it's way in and was making a nasty noise, so I went to clean it and do some sealing of the gaps. It was then that I spotted the ON/OFF button on the battery, conveniently located under a small hole in the cover. Now I had a way to switch the bike ON/OFF without the LED Remote.
Yesterday, the new software that allows you to edit the display layout on the Kiox was released, and I disappeared into the garage...

The job:
My goal was to completely hide the LED Remote while maintaining all of it's functions. The plan was to hide it inside the frame.
First up, access to the headtube void - remove the top battery mount/lock mechanism. This is well covered in other threads so I won't go into it here. After disconnecting the LED Remote and pulling the wire back into the frame, I pulled all the wires out the way, and broke out the sticky-backed Velcro. The heavy duty stuff is very strong, and will not let go. It's not the regular stuff.
IMG_1828.JPG

A decent chunk of the hook side stuck inside the headtube. In the foreground is the base of the lock mechanism, in the background you can see the fork steerer:
IMG_1822.JPG

A patch of the loop side stuck on the LED Remote, making sure not to touch any of the buttons:
IMG_1823.JPG

Shove it in. Took a bit of wiggling to get the positioning right, especially as I have massive hands. The main point is to get it far enough forward so it is well clear of the lock mechanism, but not touching the fork steerer, and that no buttons are squashed against the inside of the frame.
IMG_1824.JPG

A couple of small zip ties to bunch up the wires inside:
IMG_1825.JPG

Re-mount the lock mechanism:
IMG_1826.JPG

Fire it up and away we go:
IMG_1827.PNG

So now I can use the Mini Remote to change ride modes and acknowledge warnings with the centre button. I can't switch between screens on the Kiox, but using the new software I've set up the single screen with the info I want:
IMG_1829.PNG

If I need to use Navigation, I can re-order the screens using the app. Not a problem as I would have to be on the app to sort the route etc anyway.
And there it is. Excuse the mess in my garage, but that is a lovely clean cockpit if you ask me :)
IMG_1830.JPG

Hope this helps someone else in the pursuit of Nirvana!

EDIT: Forgot to mention, although you can see it in the final pic, I have a OneUp EDC in the steerer tube so I always have a small allen key to poke in the hole and turn the bike on/off wherever I am. A neat side effect of this is it's a small way to make it more difficult for a scrote to pedal off with it if they can't figure out where the ON button is :LOL:

EDIT: I have recently dropped the fork to replace a bearing and while I had the head tube open I realised this can be done from that angle too, if your fingers are nimble enough. I also wedged in a chunk of pipe lagging to keep the remote from shaking loose. It takes a fair amount of abuse in that position and no matter how good the Velcro, it can rattle a bit.

Last edited:

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
So you made a hole in the battery cover in order to reach the button? Anything covering it to stop water and muck getting in?

andybobbill

Aug 9, 2023
UK
So you made a hole in the battery cover in order to reach the button? Anything covering it to stop water and muck getting in?
No, the hole was/is already there on the Rail. Just didn't realise what was under it until I had the cover off the battery to clean it out.
Nothing to cover it as the whole thing is pretty porous really. There are so many gaps around the battery and motor I assume Trek just designed it that way.
IMG_1832.JPG

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
It's a shame Bosch just doesn't redesign the big ugly remote into a smaller streamlined version that would just plug in in place of the current one and allow us to buy it and retrofit it. Making that 'Mini Remote' is almost just a kick in the teeth because it's so close to what we want but not quite there, all it needs is a couple more buttons and be able to be plugged in in place of the current one.

andybobbill

Aug 9, 2023
UK
It's a shame Bosch just doesn't redesign the big ugly remote into a smaller streamlined version that would just plug in in place of the current one and allow us to buy it and retrofit it. Making that 'Mini Remote' is almost just a kick in the teeth because it's so close to what we want but not quite there, all it needs is a couple more buttons and be able to be plugged in in place of the current one.
Yeah it’s definitely not made for anyone with a dropper post either.
The one positive is that with the Smart System, it is possible they might make a better version in future we can swap out. Fingers crossed!

mrplaff

Aug 10, 2023
Norge
I was going the same route, but aborted because of a bunch of diagnostics requiring plugging into the LED-remote. I would like to warn about the danger of using sharpish object on the power button located behind the cover. Got mine ruined this way, as it’s meant for pressing with your finger tip. Warrantied battery otw, luckily I got a spare battery, and have been waiting 4 weeks for i to arrive so far. Either place something hard on the button to distribute the pressure, or make a bigger hole for your finger tip.

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
Yeah it’s definitely not made for anyone with a dropper post either.
The one positive is that with the Smart System, it is possible they might make a better version in future we can swap out. Fingers crossed!
You can replace the LED remote with a Purion 200, could then lose the Kiox300 as well>?

andybobbill

Aug 9, 2023
UK
Update: Seems like if you upgrade to the Nov '23 firmware you are stuck with an initial screen showing smartphone connection that you cannot move away from. FFS bosch I just had this the way I wanted it...

andybobbill

Aug 9, 2023
UK
Update 2. I’ve done what I should have done months ago and bought a system controller and stuffed inside the frame in a bit of pipe lagging. Finally I have a Gen4 Rail and as a plus it’s got a frame mounted Kiox 300 😂

IMG_2412.jpeg

Spin

Dec 24, 2021
Australia
Update: Seems like if you upgrade to the Nov '23 firmware you are stuck with an initial screen showing smartphone connection that you cannot move away from. FFS bosch I just had this the way I wanted it...
Thanks for guinea pigging on our behalf !
Seems like Bosch stuff this up every other time. There's nothing in the update for me so I guess I'll see how long before it is forced or installs itself in the future.

pinoymamba

Nov 26, 2023
USA
I'll be tucking in my controller next week. I'll share photos during the process. I didn't really feel like spending the money on the smaller controller so hopefully my frame has enough space.

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
I'm on the Nov23 firmware and I don't have that screen at the start. All I have is the usual distracted riding warning.

pinoymamba

Nov 26, 2023
USA
I got it all paired and ready to go but the selection button doesn’t toggle the screens but in the Bosch YouTube video they showcase that it can. Am I doing something wrong?

andybobbill

Aug 9, 2023
UK
I got it all paired and ready to go but the selection button doesn’t toggle the screens but in the Bosch YouTube video they showcase that it can. Am I doing something wrong?
No. This is why I shelled out for the system controller in the end. The scroll doesn’t work on the mini remote if you have the LED remote. Seems the system knows which controller you have.

pinoymamba

Nov 26, 2023
USA
No. This is why I shelled out for the system controller in the end. The scroll doesn’t work on the mini remote if you have the LED remote. Seems the system knows which controller you have.
Bosch strikes again! Thanks for the reply.

Just purchased the BCS3100… $111 🤮

Last edited:

pinoymamba

Nov 26, 2023
USA
Well that was a failure. I had plugged it in connected to my phone all was well but it wasn’t connecting to the mini controller. It would just quickly go past the connecting screen and go to “there was an issue”. So I went ahead and upgraded to the new firmware. As soon as it was completed it gave me a 112001 error… thought I bricked my bike so I threw on the old LED controller and working fine again. I won’t be updating that controller… until I figure out why I was getting that error on the other controller.

pinoymamba

Nov 26, 2023
USA
Just did a quick search and it looks like if you added another controller you’ll need to find a dealer to pair it to the motor. So lesson here is DON’T UPDATE!

Ark

Mar 8, 2023
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Just did a quick search and it looks like if you added another controller you’ll need to find a dealer to pair it to the motor. So lesson here is DON’T UPDATE!
yea go Bosch, something you should be able to do via the flow app requites a 20-30 dealer payment and maybe a couple of hours off your time.
Maybe it prevents thieves cannibalising parts off different bikes though

Arethustra

Subscriber
Apr 22, 2024
Bay Area, CA
Does anyone know if you can run the LED Remote with a bike that already has the System Controller installed? I have the mini remote but wanted to see if I can use the LED Remote to be able to control the Kiox 300 which is mounted in my top tube on my Crestline.

andybobbill

Aug 9, 2023
UK
Does anyone know if you can run the LED Remote with a bike that already has the System Controller installed? I have the mini remote but wanted to see if I can use the LED Remote to be able to control the Kiox 300 which is mounted in my top tube on my Crestline.
No, it’s either System controller or LED Controller. You can control the Kiox 300 with the Mini Remote though.

pinoymamba

Nov 26, 2023
USA
I think it depends on what firmware you're on. If you are on firmware prior to November 23 update, you should be good.. The OP and myself on this thread updated firmware which requires a syncing of controller to motor via authorized dealer.

The latest update has an auto scroll on the Kiox depending on what you're doing but I have yet to update the firmware.

pinoymamba

Nov 26, 2023
USA
No, it’s either System controller or LED Controller. You can control the Kiox 300 with the Mini Remote though.
Only if you have a synced system controller correct? I'm still on the mini remote + LED controller. I have the system controller but been lazy to drop off the bike at the shop to get it synced.

Arethustra

Subscriber
Apr 22, 2024
Bay Area, CA
This is a fresh build from a Crestline frameset (Bosch Gen4 with Kiox 300 and System Controller installed) so while everything is installed on the frame, I’ve not powered it up to see the firmware that it ships with.

I ordered the LED Remote so I guess I’ll see what firmware I have when I get the build done and do some experimenting with the LED Remote before I pair the mini remote to see if I can get it to work.

Might not even want it but it seems silly to have the mini remote be able to the same things as the LED Remote (sans all the pretty lights) even Garmin has their Edge Remote that manages this. Oh well. Thanks for the responses! Will post back when I have an update.

Last edited:

pinoymamba

Nov 26, 2023
USA
This is a fresh build from a frameset so while everything is installed, I’ve not powered it up to see the firmware that it ships with. I have the LED Remote coming in the post so I guess I’ll see what firmware I have when I get the build done and do some experimenting with the LED Remote before I pair the mini remote to see if I can get it to work. Might not even want it but it seems silly to have the mini remote not be able to the same things as the LED Remote (sans all the pretty lights) even Garmin has their Edge Remote that manages this. Oh well. Thanks for the responses! Will post back when I have an update.
Apologies, I didn't clearly read your initial post but since yours came originally with the system controller adding Kiox shouldn't be an issue. It's us who had the LED controller trying to move to the mini remote who were having issues.

Arethustra

Subscriber
Apr 22, 2024
Bay Area, CA
To clarify, I will be adding the LED Remote to a bike that already has the System Controller (and can use the mini remote) + has a built in Kiox 300...if that makes any difference. Thanks again for the response!

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
The KIOX 300 merely works as a slave off the LED Remote or top tube system controller. Either way the Kiox 300 is wired between the motor and the controller and you cannot wire both the LED Remote and top tube controller....its one or the other.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles