Bosch Mini Remote compatibility

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
What I meant was can you just plug and play add it to a bike that already has the Kiox 300 system? The link mentions getting a dealer to add a Kiox 300 display to a bike with the Purion system but does it work the other way around.

TommyC

Jul 7, 2022
Hampshire
I'm not even sure the Purion remote can just be added to the Kiox 300 system or Flow app at all.
In that link you provided it says it’s for the smart system and can be run alongside the kiox 300/500. Just doesn’t mention it can be standalone. It’s supposedly more ergonomic than the LED controller. Looks like a good compromise.

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
In that link you provided it says it’s for the smart system and can be run alongside the kiox 300/500. Just doesn’t mention it can be standalone. It’s supposedly more ergonomic than the LED controller. Looks like a good compromise.
That wasn't my initially but could be useful if someone wanted to do away with the Kiox screen. I personally don't mind the Kiox screen it's the LED remote I don't like and that Purion remote looks just as bad tbh.

I like Shimanos small remotes and small separate screens tucked neatly by the stem. Bosch should do something similar IMO.

andybobbill

Aug 9, 2023
UK
Seeing as its smart system I'm 90% sure it can just replace the LED remote & Kiox 300 if you wanted too
This is correct - the Kiox is just a slave display for the LED Remote, which acts as the brain of the system. The new Purion would replace the LED Remote, Kiox is entirely optional.

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
It looks the same size as the LED remote so possibly not the best minimalist solution, unless of course you simply want to get rid of the Kiox display then it might well be ideal. The LED remote seems to have the better mounting option than the Purion 200 though as it's on dovetails so can slide around to allow more room around a dropper lever (I know when I set mine up I definitely had to take advantage of the fact that it could be slid around on its mount), the Purion 200 mounting possibly looks like it'll just get in the way and if it does you have no adjustment.

BeBiker

Aug 26, 2020
Belgium
aHR0cHM6Ly9mc3RhdGljMS5lbXRiLW5ld3MuZGUvdjMvMC81NS81NTcyNy13NXBsaXl2MXhwZ28tbTFtaXRib3NjaHN4ZH...jpg

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
...a lot of confusion in this thread!! Kiox is a screen/controller for the gen 2 Bosch system and comes complete with its own wired remote. That set up enables replacement of the Purion. Nyon rather than Kiox is another option.

No Bosch Smart System component is backward compatible with gen2 ( Purion or Kiox/Nyon) Bosch System.

Kiox 300 is very different to the original Kiox. Why Bosch used the same branding a part from 300 suffix is a mystery! It is merely a wired slave screen working off the LED Remote of a Gen3/Bosch Smart system. The LED Remote is the system controller and has blutooth connectivity ............ to Bosch approved apps only (Flow/Strava/Komoot/ Apple Health).

Bosch also have a blutooth mini remote with top tube mounted controller option. Assuming you have a suitable hole or some other arrangement in the top tube you can operate the bike with only the system controller. The mini remote is an optional extra that connects via blutooth to the controller providing mode change on the bars.

So can you get rid of the LED Remote......well yes, provided you somehow use the only other Bosch Smart System controller option, which is the top tube mounted one. That would seem to be somewhat restricted to bikes manufactured to use that top tube controller since it need to be mounted and run a cable down to the main battery connector.

Can you move the LED Remote and make use of the mini remote? Well you can certainy position the LED Remote elsewhere but the question is then whether the mini remote will operate via blutooth to the LED Remote. According to a previous post it does however its functionality is less than that offered by the LED Remote.....specifically having no on/off button or controls for the Kiox300 screen ( assuming you have one). The Led Remote would therefore preferably be positioned where it could still be operated in order to access those functions.

Personally I have no problems with the LED Remote and having all controller functions in one place makes for a simpler electronic layout both to diagnose any problems and to replace if necessary.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2020
scottish borders
...a lot of confusion in this thread!! Kiox is a screen/controller for the gen 2 Bosch system and comes complete with its own wired remote. That set up enables replacement of the Purion. Nyon rather than Kiox is another option.

No Bosch Smart System component is backward compatible with gen2 ( Purion or Kiox/Nyon) Bosch System.

Kiox 300 is very different to the original Kiox. Why Bosch used the same branding a part from 300 suffix is a mystery! It is merely a wired slave screen working off the LED Remote of a Gen3/Bosch Smart system. The LED Remote is the system controller and has blutooth connectivity ............ to Bosch approved apps only (Flow/Strava/Komoot/ Apple Health).

Bosch also have a blutooth mini remote with top tube mounted controller option. Assuming you have a suitable hole or some other arrangement in the top tube you can operate the bike with only the system controller. The mini remote is an optional extra that connects via blutooth to the controller providing mode change on the bars.

So can you get rid of the LED Remote......well yes, provided you somehow use the only other Bosch Smart System controller option, which is the top tube mounted one. That would seem to be somewhat restricted to bikes manufactured to use that top tube controller since it need to be mounted and run a cable down to the main battery connector.

Can you move the LED Remote and make use of the mini remote? Well you can certainy position the LED Remote elsewhere but the question is then whether the mini remote will operate via blutooth to the LED Remote. According to a previous post it does however its functionality is less than that offered by the LED Remote.....specifically having no on/off button or controls for the Kiox300 screen ( assuming you have one). The Led Remote would therefore preferably be positioned where it could still be operated in order to access those functions.

Personally I have no problems with the LED Remote and having all controller functions in one place makes for a simpler electronic layout both to diagnose any problems and to replace if necessary.
I can get the remote for £38 and I'm tempted to try it on my Whyte E 160 .If it does not work I will just sell it on eBay .noatrer where I position the led controller I can't get a comfortable position for quick up shifts to turbo on really steep hills .
The mini remote looks much much better .I Will remove remote and put it on the right hand 22mm part of the bar out the way and the remote on the left .
Only way to see if it's better is to try it out 👍

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles