CHEEB V2 Build Thread

captainhightop

Feb 26, 2021
UK
Seriously don't be so paranoid. Ride sensibly and you will be fine.
Yeah as long as your bike doesn't look like this you are unlikely to get stopped:
Screenshot_20210803-082149.png

Not that I wouldn't mind one of those if I could ride it without that worry!
Of course this may depend on where you live and your riding style/appearance I suppose.

ornias

Jul 22, 2021
Netherlands
To be clear:
Speedlimit removal is NOT illegal. Doing so on your own property is 100% legal in europe.
What isn't legal is being on the road with a speedlimit-unlocked bicycle.

This means that even if the police could prove (which is not possible) that the bike has been speedlimit unlocked in the past, this wouldn't constitute a crime or violation of any sort.

However: It is easily possible in multiple ways to check if a bike currently is speed-limit unlocked and I myself do not condone this behavior. Get yourself a speed pedelec if you want to go above 25kmh.

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
I don't know how it would work anywhere else, but in the UK the level of collision inspection would be based entirely on the level of injury sustained to any 'victim'. Eg, if injuries were life changing/fatal, then the Police would absolutely pull a bike to pieces, screw by screw if need be, after testing. If the running tests required the use of a test pilot to check speed they would do that no problem. Testing power would be trickier as Ornias says, but Police SCI's aren't mugs either. I have seen 44 ton trucks dismantled to every last nut and bolt to find problems, an ebike wouldn't be taxing and neither would the electronics, especially when the full support of the manufacturers would be sought.

At most serious collisions, people and vehicles involved tend to hang around. Police will seize everything in sight on arrival for inspection. If you don't manage to remove a dongle in advance, it will be found. Even if no evidence is found that speed/power was a factor, the fact a dongle is fitted would be enough to give you a very bad day in court for sure. If riding something like a SurRon, you may as well start learning to pick up soap immediately.

Of course, leaving the scene would give you a chance of 'cleaning' the bike, but no one would do that would they....? An involved party leaving the scene of a serious will almost always result in a custodial irrespective of level of guilt so luck better be on your side to never be identified.

The likelihood of such a situation occurring is obviously extremely slim but we all takes our chances. Like a lot of things, everything is peachy until it all goes wrong.

Hondy

Mar 11, 2021
simba124
Hi All, I got the frame, carbon wheels and handlebars from the defang factory. So far is holding up. M600 motor is fantastic and certainly has a good kick. Got KOM today so certainly capable. Mine is a mullet and based on the Cheeb v1 except with Fox 38, x2 and Fox dropper. The weight is 25.9KG but does not seem heavy riding it. The battery range is incredible and I no longer have battery anxiety :). Live in Sydney so have amazing trails to play with.

View attachment 67485

View attachment 67486
Hello how many km you getting out off the battery ?(-:

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.
Seriously don't be so paranoid. Ride sensibly and you will be fine.
A bit harsh, albeit bundled up in a great attitude to biking.
I agree with your implied view that the chances of getting caught are not worth a moment’s thought.
Thing is, I wasn’t asking about the likelihood of being caught, nor was I informing anybody of my view on that. Nor was I asking for a few admittedly wise words about what really matters about cycling.
It was an honest question to a couple in the thread who can explain why an e-MTB can’t remember what settings it’s had in the past.
What we all do with the answer — if the thread isn’t busted now — is, despite your obvious concern, a matter for each us of reading it.
Sorry about the ranty tone ?

Puschtrale

Jan 19, 2021
Dobbiaco
Hello how many km you getting out off the battery ?(-:
I just made 1340 m of climbing with approx 25 km and used only 40% of battery using only level 5 (have the m500 bafang motor). I know that the first 50% do long really long, under 50% battery level drops faster and under 30% the motor is shutting down the wh it gives you.

markvanhaze77

Jun 14, 2021
GB
A bit harsh, albeit bundled up in a great attitude to biking.
I agree with your implied view that the chances of getting caught are not worth a moment’s thought.
Thing is, I wasn’t asking about the likelihood of being caught, nor was I informing anybody of my view on that. Nor was I asking for a few admittedly wise words about what really matters about cycling.
It was an honest question to a couple in the thread who can explain why an e-MTB can’t remember what settings it’s had in the past.
What we all do with the answer — if the thread isn’t busted now — is, despite your obvious concern, a matter for each us of reading it.
Sorry about the ranty tone ?
In regards to your qustion " if the bike owner can guarantee that they can wipe any record stored in RAM, for example by removing the battery and any replaceable battery in the control unit. So, is there a little battery in emtb’s that can’t be removed without leaving a trace that would maintain a full history in RAM? "

Settings for the ESC are usually stored in an EEPROM or similar. There is no "extra" battery and removing the main battery does not affect this or else you would have to reflash your ESC everytime you unplug the battery.
Those settings might include a firmware version number but apart from that its not including any other data that indicates how often the memory got flashed. Even if, that means zero since that could have been done in factory, during production or even by you as part of a totally legal modification to the ESC. Nothing says you cannot mod the power levels in between 0 to 250W to your liking.

So I hope that clears things up now and again, just take it easy, no point in getting all worked up about this IF you ride sensibly.

Funfunfun

Dec 27, 2019
Australiz, Sydney
@Rob, How much was the frame with the paint job?
I tried the rattle paint can but was too cold and the main colour went milky. Therefore, got a friend to do it for $300 (£150). Another friend did the logo (material around £10) and printed it out which was stuck to the bike and clear coated. Was lucky as I used my friend network. Probably would have been double if I did it out of my network. Interested to know what the factory now charge for the new paint job.

Last edited:

Phatty

Feb 18, 2021
Utah
Wanted to chime in. I run the m09 frame (luna x1) in the USA. I put 1100 miles on my first ZTTO cassette and used eagle gx chain. Im on to my second ztto cassette on the ebike and im using the ztto chain (eagle knockoff) and so far very happy with it as well. I swear by the ZTTO cassettes and I run a couple of their droppers on my other family bikes.

I ordered a full group set of ZTTO a while back for another build and the shifter/derailler were absolute garbage. The cassettes, chains, dropper levers, etc all seem to be great quality and I highly recommend them. But stay away from their shifters/deraillers.

savas

Oct 16, 2018
sofia
i was today on eurobike.The new 510 weight is 3kg it was mounted in the american eagle bike.The bafang rep told me they are working on app , so that you can tune it like shimano brose and now bosch

Kyokushin

Mar 28, 2021
Sol
I am curious M510 is M500 v2 or its something different. @Rob Rides EMTB have you a possibility to contact the new Cheeb v1 owner and ask what firmware version you had on this motor? That would be helpful to figure out few things.

Seqlat

Apr 18, 2021
PL/DE

3.4kg - 18%= 2.79kg
the manufacturer gives 3 kg in the description. This is 11-12%. I wonder how with the power difference. Hopefully better

Last edited:

Phatty

Feb 18, 2021
Utah

3.4kg - 18%= 2.79kg
the manufacturer gives 3 kg in the description. This is 11-12%. I wonder how with the power difference. Hopefully better

I thought I read somewhere its 18% lighter and 20% more powerful. I want to see the firmware its running.

Also, just a FYI, I ordered some cheap chinese shock recommend in this thread for my E10 and of course the end of the shock was 18mm thick and did not fit into the wishbone... buyer beware. I repented and went and got a nice rockshox coil.

ornias

Jul 22, 2021
Netherlands

3.4kg - 18%= 2.79kg
Honestly:
The m500 can, in theory, perform the same as the m600.

Most likely they took off some motor windings and upped the max A on the controller a bit (the m500 could already do double anyway). This would also make it easier for EU compliance, because I think that if a government really wanted it would be relatively easy to find out they under-rated their m500, which is actually illegal.

TLDR: IT's never going to be as capable as the m500.

What I'm personally interested in, is if this new m510 motor firmware unlocks the hidden sections of the BESST software :-D

Hondy

Mar 11, 2021
simba124
Getting about 40 km when I am using power 6/9. Cycling hard though.

Hello tried some things with the E10 M600 840kwh battery i like to share ...

- range on flat hardend road ,extra fully pumped tires=70km on 1 battery
- range on more or less flat offroad forrest pads with about +-600hmtrs = 60 km on 1 battery .
- Range on flat hardend road at attempting always to full speed 45kmh = 20km -25km max .
- Above 95% in assistant 1 off 5 .
- mostly take my second battery with me and ride for about 100km-115km .
- paddle cadence about 85 and average speed round 26-28kmh .
- If you riding the battery in red and leave it for a while its '' recovering'' itself for another at least 5km before going back in red again .(= battery safety i think)
-tires are 2.4 wiht and normally 1.8 front / 2.00 bar back... wheels both 29'' .
- weight off the bike aproxx 23.6kg ,rider 84kg + gear and spare battery 840kwh .
- totale weight about 115kg .
- front sprocket 38t standard bafang and 52t sram .Topspeed 45kmh easy to reach in 5from5 assistent (-:

- Never owned a e-mtb but this is killer bike for me .But the first stand 1off 5 is powerfull enough to do most off work here .Sometimes 2 and 3 but thats it !

Hopefully you can compare and have something about this info .

Regards Hondy (-:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles