• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

Caught deristricting ?

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
How? Can you please send a screenshot of the diagnostic tool where it's showing that the bike was derestricted in the past?

I'm taking my Bosch training in a week, so I should know better then. But I was talking with one of the other mechanics at the shop I work at and he's done his training. We were discussing it and when I asked him about it he said that the Bosch systems logs certain parameters which tells them if a bike has been derestricted.

So while I don't have first hand knowledge how its done, I should know better in about two weeks.

Timochka69

Jan 31, 2018
Helsinki
Not impossible - they only need to fit gps trackers in the motors and compare gps speed to sensor speed.

I can imagine the pen pushers sitting around a table discussing the relative merits of bad pr from tracking devices compared to a defamation case when they wrongly accuse a customer of breaking the law.......

Imagine what would happen when you do not get GPS, like in a long tunnel. 🙄
BTW, I used to be one of said pen pushers, and we thought about many things...

Slowroller

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018
Wyoming
The other thing I wonder about is the class 3 ebikes which go to 28 mph. They only seem to be road bikes, I am guessing the regulators wont allow the manufacture of emtbs for class 3. If they could make emtbs as class 3 that would also fix the problem cause thats about all you need.

If it gets too bad with this nonsense people will just end up doing homebrew diy ebikes anyways and there will be plenty of places to order the kits online.

If you're in the NA, no one regulates the sale of ebikes, so there are class 3 emtbs out there, and over that too of course. Most aren't what we would ride, heavy, clunky and the like, but people who buy them don't care about that.

Silver fox

Mar 21, 2021
Kelowna, B.C.
I must ride in a very unique area. I certainly don’t need derestricting for climbing the trails that we ride, and often turn the power off coming down. Also, risking having access to mtb trails denied for everyone is just irresponsible. They do sell dirt bikes that will go as fast as you like. Just saying.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I must ride in a very unique area. I certainly don’t need derestricting for climbing the trails that we ride, and often turn the power off coming down. Also, risking having access to mtb trails denied for everyone is just irresponsible. They do sell dirt bikes that will go as fast as you like. Just saying.
my experience is the same as yours but I do not ride bike parks and I know from the one time I tried one ( found it boring!) you often need more than 25kph to effectively ride jump lines that are relatively flat in terms of overall incline. An extra few kph would probably make all the difference. I ended up on that occasion adding more air to the tyres and making both fork and shock stiffer and that helped.........faster rolling tyres and a shorter travel bike would have made a big difference as well but no good for the non manicured trails I ride.

mtnbikerva1

Mar 19, 2022
Mid-Atlantic
I have KTM 2 stroke, Suzuki, etc dirt bikes I LOVE my KTM. The problem for us is there is only 2 places to ride legally and very few people want to ride them due to them being a little rocky.
Bicycle trails are Far closer and 10 X more Quantity. 10 minutes one way or so to mtb. 1.5 hours or more 1 way to dirt bike.

Feb 6, 2023
Uk
It's impossible for anyone to tell if you have a planetary gear magnate for speed. In addition it is impossible for that device to damage your bike in anyway. Hacking the firmware is not a good idea and has the possibility of being traced.
The trip computer speed and range figures will no longer be accurate for the user, and possibly be visible on diags history if they look closely enough with an experienced eye

But I would not say impossible

Shimano ep801 and 601 (23models) owners groups on fb are seeing reports of instant denial of warranty if the diags software even sees that the likes of STunlocker or any other “unauthorised software” being connected in any way.

I suppose, given the already inherent difficulties with supply etc, in getting warranties honoured, why give them another excuse not to pay out? It just makes life easier for the manufacturer. No?

I’m sure they will be delighted to see its derestricted, when the thing goes wrong within the warranty period.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles