• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

What motor is easy to deristrict?

SteveD

Dec 9, 2022
Belgium
What motor is easy to deristrict on a new emtb?
I know there are solutions for every motor. But i am worried about the fact that the manufacturer software can detect redistriction.
Bosh motors are probably the worst option.
Is the Yamaha motor a good option?
Any advise is welcome.

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
My bosch cx gen 4 works perfectly derestricted for 2500 km with bikespeed rs as long that I don't update my firmware above the version they have tested it on

Alexbn921

Sep 27, 2021
East Bay CA
No company will warranty a motor if it's de-restricted. Changing the cutoff speed has zero effect on engine life.

That's why you take off your de-restrictor before warranting the motor.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
No company will warranty a motor if it's de-restricted. Changing the cutoff speed has zero effect on engine life.

Isn’t there a way that they can detect maximum speed under peddling assist through the programming or during an update?

Dec 5, 2022
Brisbane

Is there a way to de restrict the ep8 and convert it back prior to warranty? I dont care about complete de-restrict, but 35km/h would be nice.

Alexbn921

Sep 27, 2021
East Bay CA
I personally wouldn't use a dongle. Any mechanical gear reduction magnet will work and is undetectable as long as you don't hook it up to your phones gps.
Shimano has an app that works too. Don't know too much about it.
I'm not offering legal advice and everyone has their own threshold for how far they push the limits.
I also wouldn't try and alter the max power or wire in a diy battery.

SwampNut

Oct 26, 2022
Peoria, AZ USA
1672267183950.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles