Calling all geometry experts.

p060064h

Jun 19, 2019
Exeter
So on the 2019 if I put a 180mm Lyric on the front does that make the head angle slacker while raising the BB.
Also if a 210x55 shock is installed on the rear does this equate to 160mm travel and steepens the head angle & also raises the BB ?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
So on the 2019 if I put a 180mm Lyric on the front does that make the head angle slacker while raising the BB.
Also if a 210x55 shock is installed on the rear does this equate to 160mm travel and steepens the head angle & also raises the BB ?

I think I've read about a few people who've done the 180 thing and then used the "flip chip" to even things out a bit - but yes - what you're saying is correct.

I think what you're saying about he rear is also correct, so if you did them both and the flip chip, you'd probably not be far off standard head angle, but with a higher BB ...

But I could be talking out of my arse ! :)

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Wow Zimmer has been studying. He’s making sense lately!

But yes 180 front slackens the head angle and raises the bottom bracket.
If you put in a longer rear shock then id run the offset hole bush in the shock eyelet. That way it keeps things the same.

YrianX

Patreon
Sep 14, 2019
Norway

A 180 on the front would slacken the Head angle quite a lot. The BB would rise a little, but probably not too much (Depends on the center point of your frame for the front to back pivot really)

I think Rob said that putting on his 160 slackened the head angle to around 65 degrees from around 66.1 or so, so 180 would become pretty slack, probably somewhere in the 63-64 degree range...

A 210x55 on the back will give you about 157-158 travel on that end. The eye to eye length is the same (at 210) so no lowering of the BB or anything from that pr. say, though the increased sag might have some effect and at full bottom out the BB will be lower for sure.

The longer travel will more or less effect how FAR the wheel will deflect up, not the starting point at the bottom, which should be the same with the same eye to eye length (disregarding sag).

Flip chip in high would steepen the head angle and raise the BB a bit but nowhere near as much as the 180 fork would have slackened it... From my understanding the high setting on the chip is unable to make up fully for a 160 fork conversion even..

If you are after steep angles on the fork for quicker steering and weighted front for climbs and twisties, also make sure to get the longer offset (51mm) fork as that will give you shorter trail on the front wheel and help quicken up the steering ( Not very much but every little helps I guess.)

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
The 210x55 shock will not raise your rear as it is same total length as stock, however the 2 1/2 mm extra travel will give you about 8 mm more travel. Be aware that Specialized will not give warranty if you damage the Frame if fork is more than 160 mm.

Karsten

p060064h

Jun 19, 2019
Exeter
The 210x55 shock will not raise your rear as it is same total length as stock, however the 2 1/2 mm extra travel will give you about 8 mm more travel. Be aware that Specialized will not give warranty if you damage the Frame if fork is more than 160 mm.

Karsten
How can they tell it's had a fork on thats more than 160mm

p060064h

Jun 19, 2019
Exeter
Thanks YrianX very helpful.

So before I purchase new shiny stuff.
Don't suppose you can confirm this will fit.
ROCKSHOX SUPER DELUXE ULTIMATE COIL RCT SHOCK 220x55.
Also a 160mm Lyrik 42mm offset will give me a slacker head angle.
Just to confirm I'm after more travel and a slacker head angle as most of the stuff I do is bike parks.

YrianX

Patreon
Sep 14, 2019
Norway
Thanks YrianX very helpful.

So before I purchase new shiny stuff.
Don't suppose you can confirm this will fit.
ROCKSHOX SUPER DELUXE ULTIMATE COIL RCT SHOCK 220x55.
Also a 160mm Lyrik 42mm offset will give me a slacker head angle.
Just to confirm I'm after more travel and a slacker head angle as most of the stuff I do is bike parks.

From my understanding (Not done this myslef, but planning the exact same on mine once arrive) the 160 Lyrik should be perfect ( Fox too in the same length) 42mm offset would be the one to go for for a more stable front.

I have very little experience with coils out back so can not really comment, but you should read this thread on here:

coil-shock-options-for-19-levo

Last edited:

p060064h

Jun 19, 2019
Exeter
Cool cheers mate Gona go for the 210x55 42mm off set coil
But can't decide what length Lyrik to get 160-170-180mm

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
I have done 180mm conversions on customer’s bikes, but 160-170mm is really the sweet spot.
C8E53B93-4782-426D-955B-69AA2F7FBF53.jpeg

8BFFAC5A-B811-4F26-A131-8334C7CF36F8.jpeg

Both of these customers wanted 180s but the top one preferred the 160mm and the bottom went 170mm. Both of them have 210x55 rear shocks, but the one with the coil bottoms out a lot. A heavier coil is too stiff everywhere else. Overall the top bike rides a lot better.

YrianX

Patreon
Sep 14, 2019
Norway
Oh, point to note... All the lyriks can easily be converted longer / shorter with a new air spring. I would start with a 160 to be honest as that seems to be the sweet spot and keeps warranty then you can easily make it longer for lik 40-50 USD? Try it for a while and if you feel you need it try the next step?

All Lyriks should use same stanchions / legs...

p060064h

Jun 19, 2019
Exeter
Cheers mate I will go for 170mm then.
How heavy is the dude on the coil ?
I'd be looking at a 650lb spring for the ROCKSHOX SUPER DELUXE ULTIMATE COIL RCT SHOCK

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
My first question would have to be WHY do you want more travel in the first place? before considering how much more.
Bike park use a bit vague, what bike parks? and what sort of riding/rider are you?

If you're more of a plow rider or riding really rough DH at speed 180mm is the obvious choice. (but it still doesn't necessarily mean it's the right choice ;) )
More of a jump orientated rider with a pref for a bit more pop but still riding rough DH at speed 170mm would probably make more sense.
and if you rarely have your wheels on the ground, are a bit of a jibber and prefer even more pop but just want half a deg slacker HA 160mm (or 170mm for a degree) might be better.
Only YOU will know what suits YOU best TBH. (but as stated above, you can always change fork travel again if you're not sure)

I wouldn't discount what effect raising BB height has to a bike's handling either. It's not like the 2019 levo has a low BB and IMO raising it will be detrimental to certain handling traits.

p060064h

Jun 19, 2019
Exeter
Great advice thanks.
I'm a plough kind of guy ride Windhill bike park mostly so 170mm is probably the right one to go for.

Peter-see-av

Apr 4, 2018
North West Peak District
I fitted my lyrik RC2 170mm fork to my Levo from new, it felt really great but not very nimble, I had a new 160mm air spring fitted last week, on same rides the bike felt more planted and faster through same sections, really grin inducing absolutely love it.

YrianX

Patreon
Sep 14, 2019
Norway
I fitted my lyrik RC2 170mm fork to my Levo from new, it felt really great but not very nimble, I had a new 160mm air spring fitted last week, on same rides the bike felt more planted and faster through same sections, really grin inducing absolutely love it.

Great to hear you are enjoying your bike :)

Peter-see-av

Apr 4, 2018
North West Peak District
Thanks, really love everything about it, when I bought my Levo Comp in 2017 I thought it was the dogs... (with a few mods) including Yari converted to RC2 150mm spec and 29" wheels made an amazing improvement, but this one is in another league!!

Peevee Levo.jpg

YrianX

Patreon
Sep 14, 2019
Norway
Thanks, really love everything about it, when I bought my Levo Comp in 2017 I thought it was the dogs... (with a few mods) including Yari converted to RC2 150mm spec and 29" wheels made an amazing improvement, but this one is in another league!!

View attachment 19050
Hoho that is ONE SWEET BIKE mate! Love the red lyrics with that frame color!

Peter-see-av

Apr 4, 2018
North West Peak District
Bike should look even better by the weekend, just ordered Hope Fortus 30 Wheelset with blue hubs! Also just had the frame custom wrapped by Snakeskins, its like invisiframe but with far more protection, had the forks done too! I will post some pics when Fortus wheelset fitted.

esku

May 12, 2019
Israel
I tried my 2019 expert with pike 140, 150 and 160, now I ride it with 170 Lyrik PUSH ACS3 COIL
In the back I have the OHLINS TT22M COIL
with the 140 front it's the best trail machine and even jump very well, with the 170 I had to put a longer stem 65 instead of the 50 I used,
With the 170 it's harder to control the bike but you can go bigger
I didn't touch the rear shock position, keep it on the "low and slack"
I am really not sure if the longer travel makes it better, I need more rides to decide
Love the 140-150, the 160 is OK for hard ride, the Lyrik is the best
The shock upgrade was more significant for the bike then the fork upgrade

Last edited:

YrianX

Patreon
Sep 14, 2019
Norway
Bike should look even better by the weekend, just ordered Hope Fortus 30 Wheelset with blue hubs! Also just had the frame custom wrapped by Snakeskins, its like invisiframe but with far more protection, had the forks done too! I will post some pics when Fortus wheelset fitted.

PIC's! PIC's! PIC's..... Prrrreettty please? :eek:

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I put a 2021 Lyric 160mm on my Comp and its brilliant. I have never seen any reason to suggest another 10mm ( to 170mm) would be any better...but it could definitely make it worse! Keep in mind that if you are running an older 150mm RS fork you are already losing 10mm sag under just the weight of the bike, the 2021 Debonair removes that loss, so 160 is 160!
Gary mentioned bb height and there is no way I would want it any higher. The Levo is already a fairly top heavy design, something that you really notice if you also ride a bike with a much lower bb.
The last thing I would mention is that Specialized set the max recommended fork at 160mm. Their warranty is void if you exceed that but equally important, they specify that limit for a reason and it has to do with forces the frame has been designed and tested for.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles