Levo Gen 2 Calling all brake geniuses

MBag85

Feb 7, 2021
United Kingdom
I have a question, one I'm hoping the answer to is a yes, but need the more experienced advice and scrutiny.

I have the turbo levo SL that come with stock Guide R brakes. I've bought new MT7 Pro and MDRP rotors front and back. I've successfully swopped out the front and bedded in, my gosh they're powerful.

Anyway, my question is... can I use the SRAM brake line already fitted through the frame to install the rear then bleed it once lever is fitted?

Do the Guide R use brake fluid rather than the oil Magura use?

May seem a stupid question for some?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
No. Guides use dot fluid
Magura uses mineral oil
the internal hose diameters are slightly different too.

you can use the original hose to feed the magura hose through your frame by attaching the two with a rockshox reverb hose connection tool and carefully pushing the old hose out while guiding it through the frame.
[Edit] don't just pull it like Rekt suggests below or you may end up with it your hoses becoming disconnected mid way

Last edited:

MBag85

Feb 7, 2021
United Kingdom
No. Guides use dot fluid
Magura uses mineral oil
the internal hose diameters are slightly different too.

you can use the original hose to feed the magura hose through your frame by attaching the two with a rockshox reverb hose connection tool and carefully pushing the old hose out while guiding it through the frame.
[Edit] don't just pull it like Rekt suggests below or you may end up with it your hoses becoming disconnected mid way

Gah, ill do it the right way then ?.

I'll tackle it tomorrow ?, thanks for responding ?

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA

Just posting another option, this is the kit I use. Well worth the money, I've re-run every cable/hose at this point and having the rest of the kit is great for when your barb connector disconnects halfway through :)

MBag85

Feb 7, 2021
United Kingdom
Well, fitting the rear was a task. I had to drop the motor to then feed the hose through the guide. Finally got the rear installed and bled...then..EBT snapped when tightening it with fingers. Thankfully I had a spare in the service kit.

I must say, the MT7 are incomparable to the stock Guide R. I've not yet fully bedded in the new pads and rotors and the stopping power is good enough for a car.

Shinn

Nov 8, 2020
Decorah, IA USA
Any other tips? I've just ordered a set of the new MT5 with one finger levers. I'm more concerned with running the hose. I will order a RS barb connector. Any thing else other than the standard tools that would make things easier?

Thanks.

MBag85

Feb 7, 2021
United Kingdom
Any other tips? I've just ordered a set of the new MT5 with one finger levers. I'm more concerned with running the hose. I will order a RS barb connector. Any thing else other than the standard tools that would make things easier?

Thanks.
Be prepared to drop the motor for rear . Make sure you have a bleed kit with extra bleed fluid. Don't use any type of screwdriver to insert the lever bleed nipple / screw, use your finger to tighten because they super easy to round or snap off. Watch a couple videos and good luck ?

mtbbiker

Sep 15, 2018
Murrieta
I put new brakes on my Levo. I don’t remember having to drop the motor. If memory serves me correct, there is an internal tube/guide for all the cable and brake hose. All you have to do is cut the old hose by the lever and pull it out. Then cut the new hose by the lever and push it in from the back of the bike. The hose will pop out on the other end. Cut the hose to the proper length and install the new barb/olive and bleed.

Shinn

Nov 8, 2020
Decorah, IA USA
Be prepared to drop the motor for rear . Make sure you have a bleed kit with extra bleed fluid. Don't use any type of screwdriver to insert the lever bleed nipple / screw, use your finger to tighten because they super easy to round or snap off. Watch a couple videos and good luck ?
I've got all the tools, full bleed kit on the way and have watched multiple videos including how to drop the motor.

Thanks a bunch

Shinn

Nov 8, 2020
Decorah, IA USA
I put new brakes on my Levo. I don’t remember having to drop the motor. If memory serves me correct, there is an internal tube/guide for all the cable and brake hose. All you have to do is cut the old hose by the lever and pull it out. Then cut the new hose by the lever and push it in from the back of the bike. The hose will pop out on the other end. Cut the hose to the proper length and install the new barb/olive and bleed.
I'm on an SL, everything looks to be a bit more compact around the motor and I was hoping they were wise enough to have an internal guide - just haven't seen it stated for certain.

Lots and lots of posts about brakes here, I believe I've read most but not all.

Thanks again.

MBag85

Feb 7, 2021
United Kingdom
I'm on an SL, everything looks to be a bit more compact around the motor and I was hoping they were wise enough to have an internal guide - just haven't seen it stated for certain.

Lots and lots of posts about brakes here, I believe I've read most but not all.

Thanks again.
There is an internal guide, but I found when changing mine that it was to compact and the brake cable wouldn't budge , hence I had to drop the motor. Its a 30 min job in and out with new cable fitted. Like I mention, be prepared to drop it, but you might not have to.

polla2256

Jun 30, 2021
Wales
HI all I'm a noob here but really could do with advice and the Turbo Levo SL Magura MT7 upgrade. I am looking to use 203mm disks but really don't know which spacers to order for the bike. Any help appreciated.

MBag85

Feb 7, 2021
United Kingdom
HI all I'm a noob here but really could do with advice and the Turbo Levo SL Magura MT7 upgrade. I am looking to use 203mm disks but really don't know which spacers to order for the bike. Any help appreciated.
You need the QM44 for rear, 180 to 203 adapter.

Good luck bleeding the mt7 rear once you get it through the frame ?

polla2256

Jun 30, 2021
Wales
You need the QM44 for rear, 180 to 203 adapter.

Good luck bleeding the mt7 rear once you get it through the frame ?

Many thanks for that, so I don't need an adaptor at the front ? Looking forward to that bit LOL, hope I don't have to remove the motor but might just do it off the bat instead of struggle half way through.

MBag85

Feb 7, 2021
United Kingdom
Many thanks for that, so I don't need an adaptor at the front ? Looking forward to that bit LOL, hope I don't have to remove the motor but might just do it off the bat instead of struggle half way through.
Depends on the fork, is its 160 or 180 to start with?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles