Cable routing in frame - please STOP it....!

dave_uk

Nov 15, 2021
uk - Staffordshire
Manufacturers/designers are stupidly routing cables/wires/brake-pipes in the frame, and more recently via the head stock too. This pathetic behaviour is resulting in lots of issues for all of us: Search results for query: cable routing

My Turbo Kenevo comp has done just over 2k miles, the rear brake-pipe and rear derailleur outer-cable are now worn out due to friction wearing in the frame/swing-arm (photo shows wear - cable and pipe part extracted from swingarm). Both need replacing thanks to tidy cable routing. The brake pipe is dangerouslyo_O worn thin; so annoying:mad: and wasteful as it should not need to be replaced so soon.
cable-n-pipe-worn.jpg

GET REAL manufacturers/designers: this aint good. Cables/pipes have survived for over a century on the outside of the frame you wallies.

Maybe we should make claims against the manufacturers?

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Not all emtbs have that form of routing from swing arm to motor. On my bikes ( Whyte) the brake cable is fixed to the underside of the chainstay ( ie external).

I had previously a gen2 Levo and on that, the brake cable can ( and does) wear away the frame at the exit hole but it is easilly prevented using a piece of rubber wrapped around the pipe at that point.

A critical eye on every bike to spot potential issues with water ingress and cable rub pays dividends. :)

dave_uk

Nov 15, 2021
uk - Staffordshire
there is the division: practical v pretty!

As for spotting the wear, it was not possible as the worn part is hidden within the swing-arm tubes. Also, note the additional cable/pipe covering ends too soon, this is a manufacturers fault.

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
I've just bought a DH bike and it's so much better to work on with the cables routed on the outside of the frame.
The cube e-bike has those irritating headset routed cables, absolutely stupid idea practicality wise.

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
I agree it's bloody annoying. I love the clean look but my Haibike also has bare brake and cable outers routed through un-insulated channels in the frame and swingarm.

Theres zero reason why internally routed should have a wear problem, it's just shitty cable management.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I’m gonna seriously consider cable less brakes whenever the wireless technology evolves enough to make that safe and practical.
I have to say that the AXS GX derailer and AXS Reverb dropper have freed up some room in the motor area and any wear potential to those cables. It could be the future. 🤷‍♂️

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I am not sure as the feel will not be the same; also latency will be noticable with brakes where its fine for gears.
Modulating could be an issue also. The ABS thing looks promising though…but electric brakes, they have a long way to go.

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
Ugh, I hate the idea of wireless brakes. If you run out of battery or the wireless connection drops out for even a fraction of a second it could be very dangerous.

I'll stick with a physical connection for my safety components.

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
Pretty sure wireless brakes won't be a thing, you'd need a massive motor to replicate the forces that hydraulics produce. Hydraulics are used on cars, bikes, trucks and all manor of construction equipment because it just can't be replicated with anything else.

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
Pretty sure wireless brakes won't be a thing, you'd need a massive motor to replicate the forces that hydraulics produce. Hydraulics are used on cars, bikes, trucks and all manor of construction equipment because it just can't be replicated with anything else.
You say that, but I saw an article recently about new in-car systems featuring brake-by-wire and steer-by-wire systems. Both sound horrendous to me.

I'll take the car with physical connections for the brakes and steering thanks. I don't want to die when there's a sudden electrical gremlin or bugged software update.

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
You say that, but I saw an article recently about new in-car systems featuring brake-by-wire and steer-by-wire systems. Both sound horrendous to me.

I'll take the car with physical connections for the brakes and steering thanks. I don't want to die when there's a sudden electrical gremlin or bugged software update.
On a car is one thing because the room is there but scaling everything down to fit on the end of one fork leg on a bike and still be able to produce stopping power is a massive challenge so I doubt anyone would even bother trying to make it happen because the market for it just wouldn't be there imo, I mean what would the advantage even be? Sure you wouldn't have a hose going up to the bars but thats it, disadvantages would include weight, looks (any unit capable of the required power would be big when compared to a normal hydraulic brake caliper, cost (new niche small batch products will always cost more).

Not to mention that how would the system provide feedback to the lever, you need feel at the lever or you'll have no idea how hard you've pulled the brake. I do a bit of sim racing online fairly regularly and in that hobby companies are always searching for the best ways to provide feedback through the steering wheels and pedals and even other areas now because you simply cannot drive a simulated car without the feedback. Same goes for pulling brakes on a bike, a completely dead feeling lever would be absolutely awful if not impossible to ride with. I can't see anyone adding motors to the levers to provide feedback to what's going down at the caliper because again it would be a bulky affair, expensive, a massive challenge and still wouldn't ever be able to replicate the feel you'd need because it would be software based feedback and inevitably also have lag.

I may be wrong though so 🤷‍♂️

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
Same with a car though - people complain that cars already don't have enough steering feel, so getting rid of the physical connection between the steering wheel and tyres won't help that!

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
Same with a car though - people complain that cars already don't have enough steering feel, so getting rid of the physical connection between the steering wheel and tyres won't help that!
Yeah exactly, bad idea all round imo.

darwink1

Dec 19, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Some are a huge pain and some aren't too bad but I still hate both. The headset routing brings the level of stupid up to 11.

My SC bullit isn't too terrible with the battery removed but both my norco vlt's are gross around the motor area.

Why can't more manufacturers route cables through channels on the outside of the frame that are covered by.... I don't know... maybe down tube protection or battery protection or anything thats easily removed . I know a few bikes do have this feature, one under the top tube and another under the down tube, and I think it's a glorious idea.

D

wenna

Aug 1, 2023
Sweden
I prefer internal routing. It´s a bit more complicated to change cables and hoses, but it is worth it and not like something you need to do regularly.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles