Rail (750Wh) Bosch Smart V5 update Mileage/Speed error

Johan Dagertun

Feb 24, 2023
Sweden
t has this back from Trek UK

Good afternoon Justin,

I have had another chat with the service team at Bosch and they have given me the ETA of the end of this month for the new software update to be released.

Has the software issue been resolved? It´s been quite here for some time. Still waiting for my -23 with fingers crossed that the issue will not be there...

scooby82r

Aug 15, 2020
Manchester, England
Has the software issue been resolved? It´s been quite here for some time. Still waiting for my -23 with fingers crossed that the issue will not be there...
Latest update, by this it seems fixed.
I'll speak to the LBS see if they know anything about the update.

Good afternoon Justin,

I have just been on the phone to Bosch and there has been a new update to the system that has been launched ready to be uploaded onto your bike to fix the double speed/distance issue that you have been experiencing.

Unfortunately however, they couldn’t reverse the added mileage that will now be showing on your motor but they have said that they will be looking to compensate consumers who have experienced this directly for the added milage. Both things will have to go through your local retailer to be carried out. Both the software update and also the claim with Bosch for the compensation due to the error caused as a result of the previous software update.

Kind regards,

Matt Turner
Trek Bicycle Corporation Ltd.
Customer Care, Technical Team Leader.
TEL: +44 (0) 1908 360160

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Just got the OTA update from Bosch .... Installing as I write this so will check to see if it works and has fixed the issues in the morning 🤞🏼
When you test it, see if they have fixed the walk mode as well.
If not I think I will just leave mine with the rim magnet on.
Cheers

Jeremybub

Jan 17, 2021
California
When you test it, see if they have fixed the walk mode as well.
If not I think I will just leave mine with the rim magnet on.
Cheers
Paul, you and I went through the same pain, & I honestly don’t trust Trek software developers anymore, this is 2nd time we’ve seen something Trek developers didn’t take seriously from Bosch, so my question is, why go back to the Trek hardwired speed sensor cable and 6 bolt magnet? When the wheel magnet works great, plus it is fully supported by the Bosch ecosystem.

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Paul, you and I went through the same pain, & I honestly don’t trust Trek software developers anymore, this is 2nd time we’ve seen something Trek developers didn’t take seriously from Bosch, so my question is, why go back to the Trek hardwired speed sensor cable and 6 bolt magnet? When the wheel magnet works great, plus it is fully supported by the Bosch ecosystem.
All I'm worried about is further software updates, that might make our non Trek versions not work again?

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
Updated my rail 9.8 xt today
Seems to have sorted the mileage issue and the walk mode is consistent 🙌🏻
Great to hear. NZ doesn't have the flow app update yet but will probably be pushed out overnight tonight.

I'm very interested to know exactly how Bosch is going to "reimburse" those that have higher ODO readings

Yoak

Apr 5, 2020
Norway
How many kms did the bug add to your bikes? I guess not enough to bother if it was me. I mean how much in value did your bike actually drop due to a few extra km?

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
How many kms did the bug add to your bikes? I guess not enough to bother if it was me. I mean how much in value did your bike actually drop due to a few extra km?
.....and you are likely to have to jump through a few hoops to prove what your excess mileage is, and it is likely to have to be verified by a Bosch dealer. Probably not worth the time and bother!! Seems reasonable to claim the cost of the RIM magnet and any LBS charges to swop to the motor sensor though...if that is what you did.

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
Well for those in the Northern Hemisphere who aren't riding much it maybe wouldn't be a lot.

I just looked through my Strava and if I had updated it would have added approx 549km to my odometer since 3rd Feb

I would be pretty pissed off with a roughly 33% increase in odometer, thankfully I watched the forum closely and didn't update

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Well for those in the Northern Hemisphere who aren't riding much it maybe wouldn't be a lot.

I just looked through my Strava and if I had updated it would have added approx 549km to my odometer since 3rd Feb

I would be pretty pissed off with a roughly 33% increase in odometer, thankfully I watched the forum closely and didn't update
that a dmisssion just scuppered your compensation claim!!:LOL:

Yoak

Apr 5, 2020
Norway

Agree that is quite a lot. I didn’t upgrade, but a friend of mine did his 9.9. Weird thing is that he didn’t have any problems with the odometer.

Yoak

Apr 5, 2020
Norway
I checked my WorkOutdoors app and I would have added roughly 650km myself (and that is winter cycling in the snow🥶). Guess that could have changed my mind about bothering to claim compensation

Tmack1960

Jun 13, 2020
Rotorua
First ride since the update & all is as it should be. I noted some saying here that there is likely to be some compensation from Bosch/Trek but only thru LBS? I didn’t want to wait till I was next at my LBS but will be checking with them when I take my bike in for a service next week. I can point to about 300kms of ‘false’ mileage on my bike!!

bikeguy11

Subscriber
Oct 9, 2019
Oregon
Installed the update seamlessly using the Flow app. Put my Rail through it's paces this morning and all functions as it should. Mileage was spot on with my Garmin.

paquo

Jul 31, 2018
usa
Installed the update seamlessly using the Flow app. Put my Rail through it's paces this morning and all functions as it should. Mileage was spot on with my Garmin.
had you done the bad update last month? I'm in the US also. i just checked the app and it says my bike is up to date so that's no good

bikeguy11

Subscriber
Oct 9, 2019
Oregon
I did install the faulty update not knowing the ramifications. Note to self: I will wait for user's reports before installing future updates ;)

HeavyJ

Feb 27, 2023
PNW
I updated using my phone yesterday, a couple short rides seem to confirm the issue is fixed. In three short test rides, each ride Bosch almost exactly matched my Garmin.
Did not test walk mode.

paquo

Jul 31, 2018
usa
i just checked the app and it says my bike is up to date so that's no good
the flow app on my phone didn't update so i deleted it and downloaded the most recent version. The app then prompted me to update the bike

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles