Rail (750Wh) Bosch Smart V5 update Mileage/Speed error

Shark58

Mar 5, 2023
Germany
For the case I mentioned above the Trek magnet was the cause and changing to a Bosch magnet fixed the issue. Much easier than mounting a rim magnet and activating the speed sensor built into the motor as some others have reported to work.

blob

Feb 22, 2023
Croatia
Sure, but the case you're reffering to was not a Trek bike. People already tried that on their Rails (#63, #88) and it didn't make a difference.

juice09

Feb 28, 2023
Uk
According to a rep from Trek, they stopped pushing this update when they realized there's a problem. So the number of us lucky ones who got the update should be limited.
There were posts on here from the beginning of February, both bosch and trek were made aware. I collected my bike almost 2 weeks ago and the update came through the flow app. So I don't think that's true 😒

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
The only reported fix for this problem at present is the rim magnet.

Shark58

Mar 5, 2023
Germany
Sure, but the case you're reffering to was not a Trek bike. People already tried that on their Rails (#63, #88) and it didn't make a difference.
Sorry, I had already forgotten about those.

Interesting to see though, that on a different manufacturer the Trek magnet introduced the exact same issue as reported on this thread.

juice09

Feb 28, 2023
Uk
Sorry, I had already forgotten about those.

Interesting to see though, that on a different manufacturer the Trek magnet introduced the exact same issue as reported on this thread.
Post #196 has a screen shot of an email from Trek explaining what they believe is causing the issue

Shark58

Mar 5, 2023
Germany
It will be interesting to see whether we will ever learn what really caused the issue.

On the Cube bike showing this behavior there was no Trek speed sensor, only the Trek magnet.

juice09

Feb 28, 2023
Uk
It will be interesting to see whether we will ever learn what really caused the issue.

On the Cube bike showing this behavior there was no Trek speed sensor, only the Trek magnet.
I believe its the same thing. I'm sure someone will be along to correct me if it's not.

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
I'm surprised that there seems to be a slow take up for owners to sort out this problem with the rim magnet, it works and the walk mode will also work, something that has never worked on the new Rails.

Ark

Mar 8, 2023
Newcastle Upon Tyne
People shouldn't have to fix it themselves likely at their own expense.
If trek want people to use rim magnets they should provide them and getting a sensor switched likely will cost money even if you bought your bike from the LBS.
You can't even get a firmware update for free most places it seems, maybe if you live near an actual trek owned store it's different but I'd imagine most people dont.

I've seen people posting saying they had to pay just to get the light ports activated...

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
You can't even get a firmware update for free most places it seems, maybe if you live near an actual trek owned store it's different but I'd imagine most people dont.
Smart system updates are free and you don't need the LBS. As for your case I'd be dropping the bike back at the point of purchase and asking them to fix it. There is no gurantee the extra miles your putting on the bike will ever be "rewound" so to speak.

As for my Rail, I'm still sitting on the previous firmware, no issues. Waiting for Bosch to release a new software that someone will test and let me know its working fine before I jump in.

paquo

Jul 31, 2018
usa
I'm surprised that there seems to be a slow take up for owners to sort out this problem with the rim magnet, it works and the walk mode will also work, something that has never worked on the new Rails.
this involves taking the beast to the trek dealer and i am far to lazy for that

Oupy

Feb 22, 2022
Australia
Is the rim magnet going to play nicely with future firmware releases if it is not considered the "fix" by Trek/Bosch though? That is one of my hesitations of going down that route...

Jeremybub

Jan 17, 2021
California
Hey y’all, yeah I have tons of post on my journey to solve the F up by Trek and Bosch related to the firmware update, you can see my past post to see what I went through.
My final test was the Mullet the 2022 Rail, so this past weekend I converted my 9.8, flipped the minolink into the high setting and completed my first ride yesterday, good news the Bosch sensor in the motor and magnet combo worked, I was concerned initially since the rotation would be a little further away for the 29er however I did notice any lag at this point, more rides to come.

7D3F8D56-A436-41FE-9395-C67ACA863BA8.jpeg

coregrind

Dec 16, 2020
BEAVERTON, OREGON USA
While I wait patiently (nervously) for my Rail 9.8 XT Gen 4 to ship today, I was provided this info that helped put me slightly at ease about the new bike:
Solution: New software with a fix is currently being developed and tested. Target Date for this new release is March 28, 2023

Action Taken:
• Update is no longer available for all Bosch end customers via “Bosch’s “eBike Flow” app” (effective February 27, 2023)
• Current series production is not affected as this software was not yet introduced into production”

The retailers were told “While it is possible to perform updates with the diagnostic tool, please do not update Smart System bikes to the latest software.

I’m hopefully mine is and will remain bug free. Sorry to all who have been affected with this issue and thanks for discussing it here on the forum.

maffn

Mar 10, 2023
Finland
Ufffff. Got my new MY23 Rail 7 last week here in Finland. It's been giving random errors with the led remote showing orange. While googling for that I stumbled upon this thread. And figured out that my bike also has this mileage (km) problem. Not sure whether the error has anything to do with that.

Anyone have any idea how to figure out what the actual error code behind the orange led is? Rail 7 has only the remote, so no screens except for the app.

Contacted my dealer about the problems and also linked this thread to him. Hopefully it gets solved fast.

Jeremybub

Jan 17, 2021
California
Ufffff. Got my new MY23 Rail 7 last week here in Finland. It's been giving random errors with the led remote showing orange. While googling for that I stumbled upon this thread. And figured out that my bike also has this mileage (km) problem. Not sure whether the error has anything to do with that.

Anyone have any idea how to figure out what the actual error code behind the orange led is? Rail 7 has only the remote, so no screens except for the app.

Contacted my dealer about the problems and also linked this thread to him. Hopefully it gets solved fast.
Hey buddy, Are you running the Bosch Wheel Magnet or the Trek 6 bolt magnet on the rotor with sensor cable to the motor?

Shark58

Mar 5, 2023
Germany
Anyone have any idea how to figure out what the actual error code behind the orange led is?
From the Bosch help site:
  • If all support level LEDs flash orange, there is an error. You can find information about the error on the
    home-bike.svg
    home screen of the app. You can find more information by searching for the error code here in the Help Center.

The Help Center can be found here:

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
So you get an orange LED instead of green/blue/ red etc depending what mode is selected....................but does that effect the bike in any way?? ( I assume it is pretty cold where you are?/)

maffn

Mar 10, 2023
Finland
Thanks for all the replies 🙏🏻

I don't actually know which magnet I got. I'll check it when I can.

It's been around -4 celsius / 24F here lately. Just enough that when the error comes, I've just checked the app quick, seen that it says to restart the led remote, done that and that also clears the error message. And then quickly put my phone away and gloves back on 😅

I somehow remembered that it would not show any error codes but good to know it does. Next time I will take my time with the app before clearing it. Too bad there is no log available in the app.

While the orange led is on, the motor assists but I'm unable to change the mode. Can't figure out which mode it is on then, probably the one it was before the error.

Apparently the orange led first blinks a few times and then turns solid. I hadn't noticed the blinking during the first few times this happened but yesterday I tried to turn the bike on in the storage just to see what happens. Blinked and turned solid, but did not give any errors in the app.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I suspect it is temperature related. The main battery is obviously still delivering but the battery in the LED Remote includes a thermistor which controls the charging of that battery by the main battery. Your LED Remote may be signalling that charging of its battery has been interrupted because the temperature has exceeded the limits. You could try some insulation bodge for the LED Remote.

Arminius

Subscriber
Jul 26, 2022
Rhein-Ruhr Delta, Germany
Thanks for all the replies 🙏🏻

I don't actually know which magnet I got. I'll check it when I can.

It's been around -4 celsius / 24F here lately. Just enough that when the error comes, I've just checked the app quick, seen that it says to restart the led remote, done that and that also clears the error message. And then quickly put my phone away and gloves back on 😅

I somehow remembered that it would not show any error codes but good to know it does. Next time I will take my time with the app before clearing it. Too bad there is no log available in the app.

While the orange led is on, the motor assists but I'm unable to change the mode. Can't figure out which mode it is on then, probably the one it was before the error.

Apparently the orange led first blinks a few times and then turns solid. I hadn't noticed the blinking during the first few times this happened but yesterday I tried to turn the bike on in the storage just to see what happens. Blinked and turned solid, but did not give any errors in the app.
Hi,
Did your remote look like this?

0EBF9267-6348-497C-BCB2-3567BFF2FA8F.png

If yes, it might be related with error 132000, interal clock / pressing pairing button to long.

Had the same and it did not charge battery in bike. Tried charging battery external and it worked. Also when trying again in bike charging.

Couple of people reported it on German forum and seems to go away. Might be related to latest update, might be not.

BTW, always thought minus 4C would be summer like for Finns?

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
This colour change also happens if connected to your phone and then the connection is lost.

scooby82r

Aug 15, 2020
Manchester, England
Just has this back from Trek UK

Good afternoon Justin,

I have had another chat with the service team at Bosch and they have given me the ETA of the end of this month for the new software update to be released.

Kind regards,

Matt Turner
Trek Bicycle Corporation Ltd.
Customer Care, Technical Team Leader.

johnboy68

Nov 1, 2022
USA
People shouldn't have to fix it themselves likely at their own expense.
If trek want people to use rim magnets they should provide them and getting a sensor switched likely will cost money even if you bought your bike from the LBS.

I've seen people posting saying they had to pay just to get the light ports activated...
If anyone has had to pay to get their light port activated, the LBS charged them. Trek has to approve it but Trek doesn't charge the LBS. I don't know why it's not just available in the software.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles