Rail (750Wh) Bosch Smart V5 update Mileage/Speed error

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
I'd refrain from the update at the moment, first ride today, the speed and mileage are all wrong now. 🤬

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
explain??
I noticed halfway round my ride that the mileage on the Kiox was showing 20 miles, when I knew and my Garmin confirmed I had only done 10.
I thought maybe it hadn't zeroed from my last ride, but as I continued, I could see that it was basically recording double my actual mileage. I finished a Garmin confirmed 28 miles, but the Kiox was showing 56 miles.
Even more annoying is that that extra erroneous mileage has been recorded on my actual total mileage on the odometer.
Also I noticed that the speed was reading high, Garmin showing I was doing 5 mph but Kiox showing 9 mph.
My mate also updated his Rail and his was doing the same.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I noticed halfway round my ride that the mileage on the Kiox was showing 20 miles, when I knew and my Garmin confirmed I had only done 10.
I thought maybe it hadn't zeroed from my last ride, but as I continued, I could see that it was basically recording double my actual mileage. I finished a Garmin confirmed 28 miles, but the Kiox was showing 56 miles.
Even more annoying is that that extra erroneous mileage has been recorded on my actual total mileage on the odometer.
Also I noticed that the speed was reading high, Garmin showing I was doing 5 mph but Kiox showing 9 mph.
My mate also updated his Rail and his was doing the same.
have you checked your rear wheel diameter?Is that what has changed with the software update?

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
have you checked your rear wheel diameter?Is that what has changed with the software update?
Yes I have, and by my measurements it is wrong, but not that wrong to account for the massive difference.
I will assess again tomorrow, but I've never had to change wheel size etc with the other updates I have performed.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Yes I have, and by my measurements it is wrong, but not that wrong to account for the massive difference.
I will assess again tomorrow, but I've never had to change wheel size etc with the other updates I have performed.
ah no...I was wondering if the update changed your wheel circumference setting from what it was. If not it suggests it has caused the software to double the speed sensor reading. I know it is not mathematicallyl correct but are you sure your Kiox is still using Miles rather than Km?

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Checked again today, the mileage is definitely recording exactly double, the speed appears to be correct, so don't know what's going on.
Called Bosch they will get back to me.

20230203_103349.jpg 20230203_103728.jpg

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
I tested today on the Orbea Wild and it’s reporting correct mileage. Wondering if it’s a Trek thing?
That is a distinct possibility, the fact that walk mode also doesn't work properly on the Trek either.
I've contacted, Bosch and Trek they are both unaware of any issues and will get back to me 🙄

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
bike rides great
except it shows double mileage
Yes, there is definitely a problem, getting pissed off putting double the mileage on my bike, hope Bosch sort it pronto.
What bike did you do the update on?

Jeremybub

Jan 17, 2021
California
Yes, there is definitely a problem, getting pissed off putting double the mileage on my bike, hope Bosch sort it pronto.
What bike did you do the update on?
I just got home from a ride. I updated it last night and it did double the miles and speed on mine as well. I called the local Trek dealer in Folsom California and they are unaware of the problem.
see maps attach from prior week and this week, same route and double miles double the speed, BS!
Trek needs to address asap, they are depreciating the resale value!

iPhone 12 Pro

213BBD9A-4869-483A-B5B6-9286D25838B0.png 177DB288-B5B0-45B8-982C-D2996111D7D6.png BC4A40AF-2C2C-4488-A877-8840F464BB6B.jpeg

Last edited:

Jeremybub

Jan 17, 2021
California
Tested Ibis Oso with 5.x FW and the distance traveled on the Kiox display versus Strava. Were within 5%.
Can you share a snap shot of your drive uint, mime is showing in KM which should be in Miles I believe, i’m in the USA and I wonder if they pushed the incorrect firmware to some folks.
iPhone 12 Pro

EFF72093-0B1E-40BD-9C3B-2253A1861680.jpeg

Last edited:

Jeremybub

Jan 17, 2021
California
Now I just spun up the rear wheel on my bike stand with the bosch smart system on, I did two full turns of the cranks and the distance I traveled 778 feet, I am thinking it is something in the firmware on the motor and the sensor communication with the magnet, idk, frustrating to say the least.
I also check the units of measure and it is set to imperial.
iphone 12 Pro
21E83F65-8993-4D99-A8F9-F1D9F0BFB2AC.jpeg

Last edited:

Arminius

Subscriber
Jul 26, 2022
Rhein-Ruhr Delta, Germany
Hi,
Bosch had issues last year with updates via Android phones and withdraw it for a while. It may help if those who did the update state if done via iOS or Android.

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Had response from Bosch today, they haven't a clue!
I can see this being an uphill battle.
Did anyone know of it's possible to revert the firmware back to the previous one?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
You could imagine someone screwed something up with KM/Miles - but that would be 5/8 and @Paul Mac's figures show exactly double.

Weirdly @Jeremybub (king of the bump) said with two revolutions of the cranks he got 778 meters ?!?!!!!??? Unless proven otherwise I think we have to ignore that as it seems spurious.

Trek used to have their own FW/modes - is this still the same or now that we have EMTB lite and so on do they just use the Bosch FW ???

If someone at Trek mods the Bosch updates and this is only on the Trek's then it would indicate that either Trek use a different sensor to everyone else and the additional hall effect they use on the Smarts is being miss interpreted or someone just made a boo boo ...

Jeremybub

Jan 17, 2021
California
Are we concluding this is only happening on Rails ?

You could imagine someone screwed something up with KM/Miles - but that would be 5/8 and @Paul Mac's figures show exactly double.

Weirdly @Jeremybub (king of the bump) said with two revolutions of the cranks he got 778 meters ?!?!!!!??? Unless proven otherwise I think we have to ignore that as it seems spurious.

Trek used to have their own FW/modes - is this still the same or now that we have EMTB lite and so on do they just use the Bosch FW ???

If someone at Trek mods the Bosch updates and this is only on the Trek's then it would indicate that either Trek use a different sensor to everyone else and the additional hall effect they use on the Smarts is being miss interpreted or someone just made a boo boo ...
Are we concluding this is only happening on Rails ?

778 feet my friend not Meter!
Also I spoke to Bosch this morning a great guy name Chris and he recommended taking into the trek dealer and having them push the update to my bike again, he mentioned there could’ve been a flaw in the firmware when it was originally sent over the air through the app. I have an appointment to do that at 11 AM this morning. Let’s see how it goes.

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
My mate took his to the Bosch dealer today, they couldn't do anything with it, the computer just says firmware up to date?
They've ordered him a new controller.
I can't believe there isn't more chat on the internet about this, is no other Trek owners updating?

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
778 feet my friend not Meter!
Also I spoke to Bosch this morning a great guy name Chris and he recommended taking into the trek dealer and having them push the update to my bike again, he mentioned there could’ve been a flaw in the firmware when it was originally sent over the air through the app. I have an appointment to do that at 11 AM this morning. Let’s see how it goes.
Let us know if your guys have better luck, there must be a way to flash the controller.

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Just looked on Facebook, there's another Trek rider there reporting same issue FFS, wished I'd just left it as it was, have put 200 miles in bike in 3 rides 🤬

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
My mate took his to the Bosch dealer today, they couldn't do anything with it, the computer just says firmware up to date?
They've ordered him a new controller.
I can't believe there isn't more chat on the internet about this, is no other Trek owners updating?
Thanks for the updates.

Got the iOS update on my phone on Saturday 4th Feb, I'll not update my bike now with all these dramas. I was hesitant to upgrade anyway as the only change I could see in the release notes was being able to tailor EMTB and Tour+ which I don't really care about.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles