Bolts Law ( Full Route) 7th August 21.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Strike while the iron is hot they always say ..?
So after a successful ride at Dentdale last Saturday ..I have proposed this ride to my fellow riders of the day with an amber light to go ahead ..
Those in the North East will know this ride to be one of the very best the region has to offer it starts in the small hamlet of Edmundbyers and is 80% moorland tracks with a 5km road climb in the middle of the ride ..but the payback being some of the finest singletrack you will ever ride ( given dry & dusty conditions ) ..
More details to follow ..but for now cancel whatever holidays you've booked to be on this ride ?
( ebike only ...obvs )

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
South East Northumberland
This is an epic ride whatever the conditions, done this a good few times even the road climb gives the chance to view the countryside so stick me down my friend ?

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
So far then ..with a " strong interest " ..We have the three splendid gents I rode with last Saturday in Dentdale ..
@drewbirks
@Jackware
@Tonybro
& also Aquaman aka
@The EMF ..
Im pretty sure my mate Jaco will join us if he is not rowing on that particular day
Wonder if @Beezerk & his catwalk mate are interested ?

Last edited:

Beezerk

Mar 23, 2019
Gateshead
Do you have a map of the route? Me and Mr Catwalk did a ride up that way last year, there's a section from the Waskerley Way near Parkhead Station tea room that goes across the Moors and comes out near the top of the single-track decent down to Edmunbyers. It was classed as a bike trail but it was the worst section of track I've ever ridden, really deep and we were both getting constant pedal strikes, pure torture. I never want to ride that section ever again ?

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
We wont be using that particular section as we dont go anywhere near Parkhead Station ..if its the section Im thinking of from the C2C route there are new signs in place banning cyclists ..
I will give a route description a little later ..

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
Ahhh..I know where you mean now ..just after Parkhead ..there is a good stretch of deeply rutted track where the only way you can ride it is with half crank turns and a prayer ?...
Nope ..nowhere near that ..

Beezerk

Mar 23, 2019
Gateshead
Ahhh..I know where you mean now ..just after Parkhead ..there is a good stretch of deeply rutted track where the only way you can ride it is with half crank turns and a prayer ?...
Nope ..nowhere near that ..

Yes that's the place, truly awful place to ride ??

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
For those who like to know where they are going ...( reading/ magnifying glass(es) required) ..or just enlarge the image..
The ride starts in Edmundbyers on the bridleway also signposted as the Lead Mining Trail a short way along the road towards Blanchland / Derwent Resevoir.
There is limited parking at the trailhead so depending on numbers some may need to park elsewhere in the village..
Screenshot_20210701-064553_ViewRanger.jpg

The ride starts with relatively gentle progressive climbing over Chop Hardy to a gate with a junction of b/ways after approx 4km where we turn right and drop down over Buckshot Fell into the very picturesque Blanchland Village ..this has an excellent tea room but as its too early in the ride we will re-vist later (in another hours riding time) ?
Heading straight through the village ..we continue on the b/way up to Pennypie House and over Blanchland Moor to the edge of Slaley Forest .
To be continued ....

Last edited:

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
Not too much of a secret ..a different B/ way to drop back to Blanchland instead of down to Baybridge ( for a cuppa ) then a footpath back out ..but yeah the majority of the route as you posted ..
Are you able to join us ?

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
..might even throw in another " surprise " ..an unmarked trail ( loop ) above the north side of the Acton Burn as you enter Slaley Forest..heading east..but I would need to check that out first as it is favoured by the motor bike fraternity and may not be rideable ( its a couple of years since Ive done it ) ..

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
Bit of a late call as I was all set on a Kielder ride this afternoon ..but Jaco buzzed me looking for a rideout so we had a quick recce amongst other things at your bonus trail ..and the good news is that its in good condition and only needs a slight trim ..not a full haircut which will be happening on Monday with my other good ebiking buddy The EMF ..
The other bit of good news is that we found another bit of trail which links in very nicely and has been used ( and looks like forgotten ) by the trials bike fraternity ..
All we need now is for this good weather to hold and you are in for a treat ?...
A few pics ..two of which you will be riding on the 7th
20210724_131732.jpg
20210724_154555.jpg
20210724_151224.jpg

Todays ride was 25.7 miles with 1,936 ft of climbing ..a nice little trundle in fantastic weather & dry & dusty conditions ..?

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
God daaamn..but we are truly spoiling you boys ..
I met Wayne in Blanchland at 9.00am this morning from where we travelled into Slaley Forest to give some trees a quick trim ..we then rode this and the brand new discovery there and back ( superb )..and some other Forest sections which we wont be doing on the day ( would love to but cant show you everything the area has to offer in one go ..there is just too much ) before heading out onto the moors along the Carriers Way ..before another little section that we will be doing on the day and dropping back into Blanchland for a well earned pint at The Lord Crewe Arms ...or so we thought !
Curses if the place wasnt closed to the public as a wedding party had booked the whole hotel ..must be bloody loaded !!
Never mind ..our second choice had by far the best pint of Deuchars in Northumberland ..but if that place wasnt also closed when we got there ffs.( Travellers Rest Slaley)..so going a few miles out of our way we eventually got served in The Wellington at Riding Mill..where a jug of iced water followed by a Guiness ( EMF ) & Golden Hen for moi went down a treat ( cheers Wayne ) ...
Anyway ..back to the trail tidy ..all thats left to do is a quick brush to clear the pine needles and we should be good to go on the 7th ?
Cheers for your help Wayne ..and the pint ?
Some pics ..
20210726_095329.jpg
20210726_095420.jpg
20210726_100704.jpg
20210726_100729.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles