Cheviot Hills ,Northumberland .Saturday 20th August .

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
POSSIBLE PROBLEM ALERT..
I have an error code on my Purion display ..510..which I thought had rectified itself ..but after an hour of local riding on Saturday the code displayed again an the motor packed in (although I was able to toggle through all the power modes ) ..
I took it to my LBS ( and mate ) who to add to my woes dropped his Bosch dongle on the floor damaging it before a diagnostic check could be made ..
The error code relates to an internal sensor ..and according to online info the firmware update on the Bosch site was made in May 2021 to rectify this problem ..
The EMF ..also has the same error code and is visiting his local Bosch dealer ( sometime soon) ..I'm hoping to hear if this problem is rectified prior to undertaking a 160+ mile round trip to the dealer where I bought my bike for a warranty claim if not ..
Will keep you updated ..should the worst happen then I will endeavour to borrow / hire a bike so the ride can go ahead .

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
Further update ..not looking good in terms of getting my own bike back for the weekend ... I have just firmed up my hire bike alternative..so the ride is definitely going ahead .
Still waiting to hear from Bosch ( the shop that is ) so at the moment the bike is gathering dust next to its stablemates bike ( The EMF's) ..
I will take a head count later in the week and forward on my mobile number by PM for those that don't have it ..
Mobile reception in the area is poor to say the least and I will probably not be reachable after 8.00am on the day ..
I'm hoping to have a landline number in Alwinton for anyone in real difficulty on the day to let us know..but I will confirm that later in the week ..
I would stress again though that 10.30am is kick off time so bearing in mind what has been said about narrow singletrack roads please allow yourself enough time to get there ..and take care on the very last leg from Alwinton to the start as this is an area used by the Army for training purposes and its not unusual to meet some large vehicles especially if there is a red flag flying...
We could be missing The EMF ( Wayne ) already if he doesn't get his bike returned this week ..
Will be in touch later ..
Ciao..
Neil

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
As mentioned in the previous post ..should you have any problems on the day prior to getting here ( breakdown etc) I have a landline number for the Rose & Thistle , Alwinton .
The contact is Gareth on :
01669 650226.
Hopefully you won't need to use this as it's just to let us know you won't make it ..I'm available on my mobile ( to be sent later) up until 8.00am ..
Contact Gareth between 9.00am to 9.30am .. I will call in to see if anyone has left a message ..upon arriving at Alwinton .
Thanks
Neil

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Evenin All..
Just had a bit of a re-think about everyone meeting first in Alwinton ..its not a particularly good idea bearing in mind that if we meet oncoming traffic from there towards the start point at Barrowburn Car Park it could cause a few problems on a singletrack road ..so while it's your last loo stop ( within the car park ) it's probably best if there is a staggered arrival for 10.30am at Barrowburn ..
Cheers .

Hi Mr Hodge

Just checking this is the place we are meeting on Saturday at 10.30am ?

Wedder Leap Car Park

Looking forward to our tour of the Cheviot’s 😀

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
The very same ..
While you are probably sick of me banging on about singletrack roads blah blah blah ..I should also mention that they are not exactly pristine ..plenty of good sized potholes along the way after Alwinton ..if you do happen to follow another car ..give yourself plenty of space in between as passing places are few ..and sods law you will encounter something coming your way on a blind summit ...
That's the last from me on road conditions ..just wanted to make sure that you & your vehicles get there in one piece 😉

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
The very same ..
While you are probably sick of me banging on about singletrack roads blah blah blah ..I should also mention that they are not exactly pristine ..plenty of good sized potholes along the way after Alwinton ..if you do happen to follow another car ..give yourself plenty of space in between as passing places are few ..and sods law you will encounter something coming your way on a blind summit ...
That's the last from me on road conditions ..just wanted to make sure that you & your vehicles get there in one piece 😉

How much is your hire bike costing for the day and will it still be a Whyte ? 😀

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
How much is your hire bike costing for the day and will it still be a Whyte ? 😀
Now that's a very good question Steve ..and as yet to be discussed ..let's just say " mates rates " 😉
I'm being picked up tomorrow afternoon by my mate ( & owner of The Bike Place Kielder ) with said hire bike in his van to do some " Ninja " bridleway tidy-up work in the forest ..he has said that I can keep the bike until Sunday morning and return it fully charged ( same Bosch motor ) ..
The bike itself is a Haibike All Mtn 3 ..with a mullet set up ..so as I've never ridden this bike or set-up before I will get my excuses in now if I take a tumble or two ..
As you are well aware I usually clean everything with no problems ..😊😂

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
Just looked at driving route- 3.30 hours :eek: is it still a 10.30 start?

Drew
An early morning rise Drew ..but if its any consolation I will probably be up at the same time as you ..and out sweeping the leaves up on the route ..
Tony with a similar drive time ..but there are folks coming from N.Wales & Glasgow too..( I think! )
Apologies ..but if we left it any later you would have a very tiring drive home later in the day ..
I'm going to stick my neck out a little bit and say that this will be the most enjoyable ride I've dragged you out on ....
While I'm on ..its already been said privately ..but huge thanks to Tony who is bringing his Merida for Wayne to ride ( who has the same problem fault code as myself ) ..really appreciated .

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
South East Northumberland
An early morning rise Drew ..but if its any consolation I will probably be up at the same time as you ..and out sweeping the leaves up on the route ..
Tony with a similar drive time ..but there are folks coming from N.Wales & Glasgow too..( I think! )
Apologies ..but if we left it any later you would have a very tiring drive home later in the day ..
I'm going to stick my neck out a little bit and say that this will be the most enjoyable ride I've dragged you out on ....
While I'm on ..its already been said privately ..but huge thanks to Tony who is bringing his Merida for Wayne to ride ( who has the same problem fault code as myself ) ..really appreciated .

Goes without saying… huge thanks to Tony for the use of the Green Hornet 🙏🏻

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
It's only going to sit in the garage if I'm on the Rise so someone might as well make use of it! I just want to see how 504whr does overall. I've done 26+ miles on it...

Tonycrc

Nov 27, 2019
North Wales
Hi All
Yes the North Wales two are still coming. Looking forward to meeting ppl and riding somewhere new... the Carpark in Alwinton, is it OK to leave vans there for day..
Cheers
Tony and Gwyneth

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
Hello Tony & Gwyneth ..
Look forward to meeting you on the day ..
When you say "vans"..what are we talking about ..campers..or something like a Transit ( or smaller ) ?
I'm also curious to know how you are getting to the start point if you are leaving your transport in Alwinton ..?

Tonycrc

Nov 27, 2019
North Wales
Hi
We in in mercedes vito and citroen dispatch.. transit size. We were going to ride to start from Alwinton or is it too far and drain battery. Can we park in the start carpark then
Cheers
Tony

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Hi
We in in mercedes vito and citroen dispatch.. transit size. We were going to ride to start from Alwinton or is it too far and drain battery. Can we park in the start carpark then
Cheers
Tony

Just curious …

If there’s two of you coming from North Wales with vans, why can’t you share one van, half the fuel costs ?

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
It is a good way further along the valley ..and in terms of the ride I would say that you would be better saving your battery ..
No problem parking at the car park at Barrowburn ...which is free👍

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
Apparently I can only send a PM to five recipients at a time ..so bugger that ..here is my mobile number 07976 458417.
Should you run into difficulty on the day give me a call up to 8.15am...after which you will be lucky to catch me .
As mentioned a few posts up Gareth at The Rose & Thistle in Alwinton has provided a landline number as mobile reception is pretty much non existent in the area and can be contacted between 9.00 to 9.30am ..I will be calling in on my way through shortly afterwards.
After that folks you are on your own ..( sorry !) ..so unless I hear any different I'm looking forward to seeing the following riders fully charged on the starting grid ...
@The EMF
Jaco
@Gwyneth williams
@Tonycrc
@Tonybro
@JFDI
@drewbirks
@Tubby G & Louise
@k2lvn
@Richywalker64
@Walkea
Including myself ..13 riders ..( good grief ! 😁)
Safe journey to everyone on your way here ..
See you tomorrow ..👍

JFDI

Feb 13, 2021
Helmsley, North Yorkshire
Apparently I can only send a PM to five recipients at a time ..so bugger that ..here is my mobile number 07976 458417.
Should you run into difficulty on the day give me a call up to 8.15am...after which you will be lucky to catch me .
As mentioned a few posts up Gareth at The Rose & Thistle in Alwinton has provided a landline number as mobile reception is pretty much non existent in the area and can be contacted between 9.00 to 9.30am ..I will be calling in on my way through shortly afterwards.
After that folks you are on your own ..( sorry !) ..so unless I hear any different I'm looking forward to seeing the following riders fully charged on the starting grid ...
@The EMF
Jaco
@Gwyneth williams
@Tonycrc
@Tonybro
@JFDI
@drewbirks
@Tubby G & Louise
@k2lvn
@Richywalker64
@Walkea
Including myself ..13 riders ..( good grief ! 😁)
Safe journey to everyone on your way here ..
See you tomorrow ..👍
Hi Neil,
Looking forward to meeting up with you and everyone else tomorrow.
Appreciate your time and efforts putting this ride together.
The weather forecast looks reasonable for us too.
I've just WhatsApp you as an easier form of contact.
Cheers Dave

Richywalker64

Nov 14, 2020
Hartlepool
Screenshot_20220819-120317_XCWeather.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles