Cheviot Hills ,Northumberland .Saturday 20th August .

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
..a little bit vague at the moment as I'm waiting for @TubbyG to come back to me with a date to suit ..but if big rolling grassy hills are your thing then this is not one to miss ..even though it starts in one of the remotest parts of Northern England and for a lot of the ride straddles the Border Ridge with Scotland ..lots of climbing to start ..but what goes up must eventually come down and there are some corking descents where your speed will only be determined by the amount of bottle you've got !😉
Keep an eye on this one more details in terms of how to get there nearer the time ..hope to see you there !
20220430_142021.jpg
20220325_100608.jpg

Last edited:

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
Mornin all..
I've heard back from @Tubby G ..and with various commitments it's looking like mid to late September before himself & Lou can make it up here ..which isn't a problem but as its a couple of months away if there is any interest for a rideout in August then I'm more than happy to do both ...as a starting point how does Saturday 20th August sound ..or the weekend after which has a Monday Bank Holiday tagged on to it ..?
I'm easy either way ..
Anyone ..?

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
Would a meet-up time of 10.30 am be too early ..and I will post a few accomodation details up should anyone decide to stay over..
As mentioned it is a very remote area and just so we don't lose anyone we should meet initially in Alwinton public car park ( and the last available loo stop prior to starting the ride ) ..the actual starting point is another 5 to 6miles further up the Coquet Valley at the car park at Barrowburn ...also be aware that for the most part after passing through Harbottle the road is singletrack with passing places with a lot of blind summits and corners .
Along with the rest of our local posse I'm really looking forward to showing you some fantastic riding ..
Screenshot_20220722-093443_Outdooractive.jpg
Screenshot_20220722-093519_Outdooractive.jpg
Screenshot_20220722-093551_Outdooractive.jpg

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
As shown on pic of the day yesterday we stopped off at the recently refurbished pub in Harbottle village ..a fantastic venue with a terrific seafood & Italian dish(es) menu..it also transpired that Karen (the owner) has two holiday cottages in the village and is open to short stay bookings ..
www.karenskottages.co.uk
www.thestarinnharbottle.co.uk
I will add another couple of venues locally ( to follow)

Last edited:

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
As shown on pic of the day yesterday we stopped off at the recently refurbished pub in Harbottle village ..a fantastic venue with a terrific seafood & Italian dish(es) menu..it also transpired that Karen (the owner) has two holiday cottages in the village and is open to short stay bookings ..
www.karenskottages.co.uk
www.thestarinnharbottle.co.uk
I will add another couple of venues locally ( to follow)

10.30am is ideal for us, looking forward to the Cheviot adventure 🤘🏼

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
South East Northumberland
Hi to all……I’ve been watching this thread unravel as to possible dates. I didn’t want to influence any dates so as not to make it more difficult for Neil to arrange this ride. As it happens the 20th is the only day I’m available at the weekend in Aug. So it’ll great to meet up again with familiar faces and hopefully meet a few new ones….. We’ve been singing these trails praises for ages on the forum and it’ll be great to show you our local area.
PS if you’ve got a portable bike washer it may be a good idea to bring it, these trails are rideable throughout the year in any conditions.
Can’t wait 🤙

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Hi to all……I’ve been watching this thread unravel as to possible dates. I didn’t want to influence any dates so as not to make it more difficult for Neil to arrange this ride. As it happens the 20th is the only day I’m available at the weekend in Aug. So it’ll great to meet up again with familiar faces and hopefully meet a few new ones….. We’ve been singing these trails praises for ages on the forum and it’ll be great to show you our local area.
PS if you’ve got a portable bike washer it may be a good idea to bring it, these trails are rideable throughout the year in any conditions.
Can’t wait 🤙

Portable bike wash? I thought I’d just ask you to ride my bike through a massive deep pond towards the end of the ride to give it a good clean 😀

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
Very true ..the bit that Wayne has missed out is that the one constant condition throughout the year is sheepshit ..that portable washer if you have one wouldn't be a bad idea ..I've just spent the best part of an hour after yesterdays ride with a hose & a stiff brush ...
Then I cleaned the bike..😂

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
South East Northumberland
Very true ..the bit that Wayne has missed out is that the one constant condition throughout the year is sheepshit ..that portable washer if you have one wouldn't be a bad idea ..I've just spent the best part of an hour after yesterdays ride with a hose & a stiff brush ...
Then I cleaned the bike..😂

didn’t mention sheep shit so as not to put people off 😆

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
Just a quick check on numbers..so far
@The EMF
Jaco ( non forum)
@Tubby G & Louise
@Richywalker64
@Tonybro ( tbc)
@JFDI
@k2lvn
@Tonycrc & mate
I'm anticipating a yay or nay from @drewbirks & @philmedomsley & Nancy at some stage ..which if I've done my arithmetic correctly gives us a possible 14 riders ..including myself
While I'm averse to excluding anyone who really wants to come ..and because we are riding in big open spaces where it should be possible to keep an eye on everyone please be aware of the following..
It's roughly a 20mile ride in big hills with approx 4000ft climbing ..+/- 500ft!
You will need a 625wh battery or a piggyback battery on a smaller unit ..expect to finish the ride with little to nothing left in the tank ( both you & the battery ) ..so please think carefully before commiting to the ride .
There will be a final roll call ..and as can often happen some folks won't be able to make it ..which is fine as long as you give us a bit of notice ..but be aware that there is no mobile phone coverage in these hills .
From what I can surmise from those whom I have yet to meet ..you are all experienced riders ..so no sermon from me on what you should be carrying ..but please ensure you have enough food & water to last a full days riding as there is absolutely nothing on the route .
Last shops will be in Rothbury where there is a Co-op store ..and the Butchers & Bakers do great sandwiches & pies ..bacon butties at breakfast time .
That's it for now if there are any questions don't be shy in asking ..

Last edited:

Walkea

Aug 18, 2019
Glasgow
Would be nice to put faces to names and sounds like a good ride. Would be good to join this.
Just a quick check on numbers..so far
@The EMF
Jaco ( non forum)
@Tubby G & Louise
@Richywalker64
@Tonybro ( tbc)
@JFDI
@k2lvn
@Tonycrc & mate
I'm anticipating a yay or nay from @drewbirks & @philmedomsley & Nancy at some stage ..which if I've done my arithmetic correctly gives us a possible 14 riders ..including myself
While I'm averse to excluding anyone who really wants to come ..and because we are riding in big open spaces where it should be possible to keep an eye on everyone please be aware of the following..
It's roughly a 20mile ride in big hills with approx 4000ft climbing ..+/- 500ft!
You will need a 625wh battery or a piggyback battery on a smaller unit ..expect to finish the ride with little to nothing left in the tank ( both you & the battery ) ..so please think carefully before commiting to the ride .
There will be a final roll call ..and as can often happen some folks won't be able to make it ..which is fine as long as you give us a bit of notice ..but be aware that there is no mobile phone coverage in these hills .
From what I can surmise from those whom I have yet to meet ..you are all experienced riders ..so no sermon from me on what you should be carrying ..but please ensure you have enough food & water to last a full days riding as there is absolutely nothing on the route .
Last shops will be in Rothbury where there is a Co-op store ..and the Butchers & Bakers do great sandwiches & pies ..bacon butties at breakfast time .
That's it for now if there are any questions don't be shy in asking ..

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
Would be nice to put faces to names and sounds like a good ride. Would be good to join this.
If you can manage to get to Alwinton on time then no problem ..its 130 miles each way for you and approx 3 hours travelling. ..I would allow more given the nature of the road ( singletrack with passing places) on the last leg of the journey ..
As mentioned there is no mobile phone coverage in the area so if you run into difficulty on the way down ..no real chance of either of us being able to get in contact ..and we will have to start promptly .
If you are OK with that then more than happy to meet you ..

Walkea

Aug 18, 2019
Glasgow
If you can manage to get to Alwinton on time then no problem ..its 130 miles each way for you and approx 3 hours travelling. ..I would allow more given the nature of the road ( singletrack with passing places) on the last leg of the journey ..
As mentioned there is no mobile phone coverage in the area so if you run into difficulty on the way down ..no real chance of either of us being able to get in contact ..and we will have to start promptly .
If you are OK with that then more than happy to meet you ..
I had checked distance etc before posting and 10:30 start makes it easy to get there on time. :)
I understand about group size so if anything changes I will let you know but look forward to meeting everyone on 20th.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
Evenin All..
Just had a bit of a re-think about everyone meeting first in Alwinton ..its not a particularly good idea bearing in mind that if we meet oncoming traffic from there towards the start point at Barrowburn Car Park it could cause a few problems on a singletrack road ..so while it's your last loo stop ( within the car park ) it's probably best if there is a staggered arrival for 10.30am at Barrowburn ..
Cheers .

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles