Cheviot Hills ,Northumberland .Saturday 20th August .

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
I hope we’re not going to get our bikes dirty! Kind of got used to the glorious Yorkshire sunshine and riding in dry dusty conditions for the past 4/5 months. Forgot what mud & rain looks & feels like 😆

k2lvn

Apr 7, 2020
NORTH EAST
Really sorry to drop out last minute - but I've got to work, been let down by courier service on a last minute job, so it's into the office for me tomorrow.

Teriatric

Subscriber
Oct 29, 2021
North East England
One day I'll get out with some of you fellas but we're off to Whinlatter on Sunday so won't have time to sleep AND watch my battery recharge for 6 hours! (Toonie). Have a great ride in wild, woolly and beautiful Northumberland.

Walkea

Aug 18, 2019
Glasgow
Evening, Can I just confirm the car park we are meeting at.
One post says Barrow Burn car park but I have also seen mention of Wedder Leap car park which according to google maps is about 0.5 miles from Barrow Burn.
Given lack of phone signal I don't want to be sitting in the wrong place.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
There is only the one car park in that location ..it is just prior to the farm at Barrowburn ..and it is ( giving it its Sunday name) Wedder Leap...
Look forward to seeing you tomorrow

Walkea

Aug 18, 2019
Glasgow
There is only the one car park in that location ..it is just prior to the farm at Barrowburn ..and it is ( giving it its Sunday name) Wedder Leap...
Look forward to seeing you tomorrow
Great, thanks for clearing that up. When I put Wedder Leap carpark in as a destination it says Alwinton.
See you tomorrow.

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
South East Northumberland
When you leave Alwinton along the valley the road is very narrow with passing places. After about 4 mile you will pass a farm on your left with a post box and climb steeply over a bridge with a gorge on your rhs. The road then drops down to an other farm Shillmoor on your rhs continue over the bridge and from here the road is very narrow with blind summits and corners and you will pass a sheer rock face on your rhs with the very close to your lhs the valley starts to open up on both sides do carry on along this road and lookout for the large fir trees on your lhs these trees form the perimeter of the car park and you can’t miss it. Barrowburn Farm is clearly visible on your rhs about half a mile further on. Always keep an eye out for sheep all along the road from Alwinton.

Walkea

Aug 18, 2019
Glasgow
When you leave Alwinton along the valley the road is very narrow with passing places. After about 4 mile you will pass a farm on your left with a post box and climb steeply over a bridge with a gorge on your rhs. The road then drops down to an other farm Shillmoor on your rhs continue over the bridge and from here the road is very narrow with blind summits and corners and you will pass a sheer rock face on your rhs with the very close to your lhs the valley starts to open up on both sides do carry on along this road and lookout for the large fir trees on your lhs these trees form the perimeter of the car park and you can’t miss it. Barrowburn Farm is clearly visible on your rhs about half a mile further on. Always keep an eye out for sheep all along the road from Alwinton.
According to Google I don't approach from Alwinton but I am sure I will find it.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire

If there’s fir trees by the car park does that mean the ride finishes in a loamy off piste descent ? 😀

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
According to Google I don't approach from Alwinton but I am sure I will find it.
Whoa..does it have you coming over from Byrness..?..
Not advisable if there is a red flag flying ! This would take you over the Otterburn Shooting Ranges ..and it a torturous singletrack road ..
If you are coming down the A68 then split onto the A697 and approach through Rothbury ..which will bring you through Alwinton ..
Same applies for you @Tonybro ..I was wondering why you were heading into Scotland ..surely the A69 is a more direct route from Carlisle ..?
Please give me a call in the morning

Last edited:

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
First of all many thanks to everyone for turning up ..on what was a pretty horrendous start to the day..when the weather app predicted " passing showers " I really don't think any of us expected a continuous one lasting a few hours ..before the sun peeped through ..torrential being the best way to describe it with most of us soaked before we had even left the car park !
After The EMF ( Wayne) & myself had been banging on about how great these hills are..they weren't wearing their best clothes today ..
It did eventually.. the clouds parted and the sun peeped through and I would like to think that everyone had a good time by the end of the ride..
Tonycrc's power assisted day ended too early when the range extender wouldn't speak to the motor ..which let him join our exclusive club ( EMF & me ) of temporary fkd up motors ..so after the fantastic descent to Slymefoot he cut the ride short and along with Wayne who only had 3miles range left on Tonybro's borrowed Green Hornet took the road option back to the car..
The rest of us did another short loop up past Trows & over Barrowlaw ..but didn't do the final loop to Fairhaugh and down the Usway Burn ( it didn't seem right with two men down )..so saving that bit for a different ride in the future ..
With only one thing left to do after any ride ..refreshments in the pub ( Rose & Thistle , Alwinton .)
My thanks to Wayne for his help in organising the ride / sweeping at the back to keep the group together ..
Also to the new boys & girl for fitting in seamlessly..it felt like we had been riding together for years ..
I will post the pics a little later in the " Pic of the Day" section
Until the next time ..cheers gang 👍

Last edited:

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
First of all many thanks to everyone for turning up ..on what was a pretty horrendous start to the day..when the weather app predicted " passing showers " I really don't think any of us expected a continuous one lasting a few hours ..before the sun peeped through ..torrential being the best way to describe it with most of us soaked before we had even left the car park !
After The EMF ( Wayne) & myself had been banging on about how great these hills are..they weren't wearing their best clothes today ..
It did eventually.. the clouds parted and the sun peeped through and I would like to think that everyone had a good time by the end of the ride..
Tonycrc's power assisted day ended too early when the range extender wouldn't speak to the motor ..which let him join our exclusive club ( EMF & me ) of temporary fkd up motors ..so after the fantastic descent to Slymefoot he cut the ride short and along with Wayne who only had 3miles range left on Tonybro's borrowed Green Hornet took the road option back to the car..
The rest of us did another short loop up past Trows & over Barrowlaw ..but didn't do the final loop to Fairhaugh and down the Usway Burn ( it didn't seem right with two men down )..so saving that bit for a different ride in the future ..
With only one thing left to do after any ride ..refreshments in the pub ( Rose & Thistle , Alwinton .)
My thanks to Wayne for his help in organising the ride / sweeping at the back to keep the group together ..
Also to the new boys & girl for fitting in seamlessly..it felt like we had been riding together for years ..
I will post the pics a little later in the " Pic of the Day" section
Until the next time ..cheers gang 👍

Totally f’in soaked is another way to put it 😀

Thanks @The Hodge & @The EMF for organising a great ride out. Really enjoyed it despite the monsoon conditions. Just got home now, sheep shit is absolutely everywhere 😆

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
See that sunshine ☀️, that’s Scotland that is 😆

341CBE64-E9D3-4847-A73F-469C59B85CB8.jpeg

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
South East Northumberland
Morning all……just emptied the entire contents of my back pack, everything is soaked even a spare top in a “dry bag”.All the tools and spares I carry are now dried off. Did anyone have any dry kit ?????

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
Not me..
I've just returned the hire bike after spending another hour on a final spruce up ..having fully charged it last night ..
Many thanks to Ian & the lads at The Bike Place Kielder for their help..
Now just an anxious wait to see what the outcome is on my own bike (along with Wayne who has the same problem )..
Hope you get your bike sorted quickly too Tony ( crc) ..

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles